Just leased a 2016 e-Golf SE from Capitol VW in San Jose, CA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayarea70

I compared all of East and South Bay deals including the ones at ev-vin.blogspot.com. Oakland VW had the lowest total cost, but they wanted a higher down payment of $3,495. Similar with Team VW (Hayward) with a $4,495 down payment.

I went for the Capitol VW (DGDG) $88/mo lease with $2,888/mo down. These all only have a 7,500 annual mileage limit which is fine for my needs (short commute, but all during rush hour).

Capitalized cost reduction was $10.3k, agreed upon value was $24.7k.

FWIW the 2017s are still not available anywhere in the Bay Area. Hope this helps.

My guess is VW has a lot of 2016's still to move, so they will introduce these in the USA with June or July builds from the factory in Germany, and tag them officially as 2018 year model production. Which means with time on the boat getting here, they might start arriving as early as late July, more than likely August and September, on dealership lots.

My 2015 SEL was a May 2015 build. It didn't end up on a dealership lot until early August, 2015. That's just to give you an idea on how the time lag is with VW products from Germany, on the e-Golf model. My Touareg was also built in May, it arrived at the dealership beginning of July.

My educated guess is that dealerships will not get their 2018 e-Golf model allotment until they've sold off all their previous year model inventory of e-Golfs. VW doesn't want model years to compete against each other in such a limited market.

bayarea70 said:
I went for the Capitol VW (DGDG) $88/mo lease with $2,888/mo down. These all only have a 7,500 annual mileage limit which is fine for my needs (short commute, but all during rush hour).

So, what is the out of door price?

jasonring said:
bayarea70 said:

according to capitol vw's website, it looks like thats not the OTD price...

https://www.capitolvolkswagen.com/lease-specials/

Yeah, the $2888 is "Customer Cash", which is just the cash down payment. Taxes and acquisition fees will add another $1000+ to the out the door fee.

Sounds like they included the $7500 credit in the $10.3k cap cost reduction, which means the dealer discount was only $2800. That's only 9% off MSRP :?

Hayward is currently leasing 2016 SEs w/ DCFC for $3000 cash down + $29/month. I wouldn't even call that phenomenal, but it's much better than anyone else is offering apparently. The Stevens Creek "special" of $4500 down + $69/month is a downright ripoff and Sunnyvale's isn't doing much better

Breakdown of my Lease deal

I share johnnylingo's sentiment, VW dealers in NorCal are too comfortable in waiting to rip off uninformed buyers. Befuddled by the current situation that end of model year sunset inferior e-golf (compared to competition and 2017 model) still commanding higher prices than last August. I bet much better deals can be had in a month or two than what Hayward Team VW is advertising, when dealers start to panicking when they couldn't get the 2017 allocation since they haven't cleared their 2016 stock. Or the Model 3 will show up on the road and started squeezing Bolt which in turn will squeeze every other EVs.

Jonnylingo, I am waiting to take over your lease when you decide to upgrade.

jasonring said:
bayarea70 said:

Was $4,913 which includes CA tax (including tax on the $7,500 federal rebate.. not sure if that's normal) and 1st month's lease payment. Remaining payments are $96.95 for 29 months.

tinlittle said:
I share johnnylingo's sentiment, VW dealers in NorCal are too comfortable in waiting to rip off uninformed buyers. Befuddled by the current situation that end of model year sunset inferior e-golf (compared to competition and 2017 model) still commanding higher prices than last August. I bet much better deals can be had in a month or two than what Hayward Team VW is advertising, when dealers start to panicking when they couldn't get the 2017 allocation since they haven't cleared their 2016 stock. Or the Model 3 will show up on the road and started squeezing Bolt which in turn will squeeze every other EVs.

I was also actively looking at the Kia Soul EV, which I personally preferred, but stock is low and the lease deals were nearly as attractive as the current crop of 2016 SE ones.

As you say, I probably could have waited a few more weeks to see if any better deals were coming.

Hi - Newly registered, but been browsing for a while.

Is the current thinking that I should wait until June deals to lease an e-golf (South Bay area)? Was hoping to pull the trigger this week. I'm a bit worried the current "May" deals will expire and I'll be left paying more.

I have an offer for a 30mo 7500/mi "one-pay" lease for $6300. (Sunnyvale VW)

Should I wait?

Thanks,
S

nwahs1 said:
Hi - Newly registered, but been browsing for a while.

Is the current thinking that I should wait until June deals to lease an e-golf (South Bay area)? Was hoping to pull the trigger this week. I'm a bit worried the current "May" deals will expire and I'll be left paying more.

I have an offer for a 30mo 7500/mi "one-pay" lease for $6300. (Sunnyvale VW)

Should I wait?

I looked at johnnylingo's lease deal above and couldn't believe he got that back in 2016. They must have really had a glut of them. IMHO I think it will depend on how well the Memorial Day sales go. If they're still left with a bunch of 2016s after the weekend you might be able to get a better deal. Hard to tell. I would check how many new 2016s there are left in the area on cars.com, etc.

I've been car shopping for 2 months. Part of me just wants to walk in with $5500 cash and be done with it.

nwahs1 said:
I've been car shopping for 2 months. Part of me just wants to walk in with $5500 cash and be done with it.

I know the feeling. :) I actually bought mine too early (had to overlap with a prior lease but there's still 4 weeks left to return the old one).

nwahs1 said:

I was in car shopping for 2 years. First year, I tried to buy a mazda 6 (2016 and 2017). Then, start to think about getting EV in second year. Finally, I lease an e-golf on Apr 2

I'm with you nwahs1. Compared to johnnylingo's lease (albeit 24 mth), the current offerings almost one year later are super high... Best price I have been offered is $6,400 ($5,500 all-in drive-off, $29/mth plus tax, 30 month, 7,500 miles/yr). If cars.com are correct, there are almost 200 e-golfs still available today in the SF Bay Area, which would suggest Memorial Day e-golf sales have not been significant. So, continue waiting?

The value just wasn't there at that price. I ended up buying a used 2015 SEL from a private party over the weekend.

joncoast said:
So, continue waiting?

The dealers certainly don't seem eager to move the 2016s right now. I'd wait until the new models start hitting the lots (August?) and take it from there. Nobody will want a 2016 at that point unless it's at deep discount.

If it helps, the inventory last summer was insane (there were close to 1,000 in Bay Area inventory if I recall) and that probably explains the deals. Volkswagen also has their traditional sales event in July.

Back