2017 e-Golf battery in a '15 or '16?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLS

From what I've read about the 2017 e-Golf, it seems like the bigger battery is larger in capacity only, not size. I wonder if the earlier cars could take the new battery...

MLS said:
From what I've read about the 2017 e-Golf, it seems like the bigger battery is larger in capacity only, not size. I wonder if the earlier cars could take the new battery...

Seems like it would be technically possible, but at a large expense! I'll bet it would be cheaper to swap cars instead unless you're able to somehow get it swapped on account of warranty work (doubtful).

bayarea70 said:
MLS said:

Seems like it would be technically possible, but at a large expense! I'll bet it would be cheaper to swap cars instead unless you're able to somehow get it swapped on account of warranty work (doubtful).
It probably cost around 10k to swap batteries.

Easier to sell the old car and get a new one.

I was thinking something along similar lines this morning - but more along the lines of acquiring another identical battery and having an A/B switch.

If the car didn't know it had two batteries, it would just act normally... it's not like your increasing the capacity to some amount it's unfamiliar with, your just setting up two separate batteries. I'm sure it would be heavy and expensive, but some enterprising soul could figure it out. Who needs that pesky back seat anyways?

Spektre said:
I was thinking something along similar lines this morning - but more along the lines of acquiring another identical battery and having an A/B switch.

If the car didn't know it had two batteries, it would just act normally... it's not like your increasing the capacity to some amount it's unfamiliar with, your just setting up two separate batteries. I'm sure it would be heavy and expensive, but some enterprising soul could figure it out. Who needs that pesky back seat anyways?
Lol, now that can possibly work,but the weight issue that high off the ground [might] have diminishing returns.

I'm thinking it's going to be a 2018 release model here in mid to late 2017, in select high density areas where e-Golfs sell well. Silicon Valley and all it's tech nerds comes to mind as the first to get the newest e-Golf model, at premium prices for well paid computer tech and software hounds.

I'll wait a year for all the brilliant Beta testers to help VW get it all debugged.

Back