Most Miles You Have Driven In One Single Day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GLX

Didn't see this on the search and I know we have some folks on here with some cleverly planned trips to get some distance out of the e-Golf. So, that brings up the question, what are the most miles you have driven your e-Golf in one day? How many charges, Average MPH, Average M kwh and longest leg of the trip/day?

Me- from Car-net Trips logs:

285 mins, 228.66 miles, 4.6 Avg mi/KWH
Avg Speed 47.85 MPH
May 17, 2017 at 5:46 PM EDT

Plus:
19 mins, 12.43 miles, 4.6 Avg mi/KWH
Avg Speed 39.15 MPH
May 17, 2017 at 8:56 PM EDT

So 241 miles that day. Also, it was over 90 degrees during the majority of the day NC/VA area. Longest leg was about 82 miles round trip starting and stopping at the same DCFC station.

Dang it-I also did 242 miles on May 19th. Didn't realize it was just a few miles more:

2 mins, 1.24 miles, 3.2 Avg mi/KWH Forgot my wallet, strange it reset.
Avg Speed 24.85 MPH
May 19, 2017 at 7:24 AM EDT

45 mins, 35.42 miles, 4.32 Avg mi/KWH Long route to work
Avg Speed 45.98 MPH
May 19, 2017 at 8:08 AM EDT

98 mins, 68.35 miles, 4.23 Avg mi/KWH Off work early running errands, then home.
Avg Speed 42.25 MPH
May 19, 2017 at 1:24 PM EDT

83 mins, 58.41 miles, 3.91 Avg mi/KWH Drove to a fundraising Gala for the USCG Purple Heart Initiative. Charged 6 miles from Gala venue, last charge before headed home later.
Avg Speed 42.25 MPH
May 19, 2017 at 6:41 PM EDT

101 mins, 78.91 miles, 4.41 Avg mi/KWH Drove home from the Gala and took the kids sitter home. O miles left pulling into the driveway
Avg Speed 47.22 MPH
May 20, 2017 at 2:21 AM EDT

Total=242.3 Miles

I know there has to be some larger totals. This was all impromptu after the fact realizing I had two days last week where I drove more than twice the intended range of the car with smart charging.

Anthony

Oh, no! You aren't supposed to drive that much because VW didn't give you permission. :p

Nice work!

I haven't kept track of my daily mileage, but I am planning a ~215 mile journey this coming weekend (hope to do it in about 4.5 - 5 hours). I am going to make three DCFC stops and drive 3000 feet up a mountain (45 miles uphill) at the end of the trip.

The e-Golf is meant to be driven long distances and DCFC charged multiple times in succession. VW encourages it:

http://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/road-tripping-from-new-york-to-dc-on-just-electricity/

That's Insane!

Hahaha, but then I have an SE which charging is definitely on the 'slow'.

f1geek said:
Oh, no! You aren't supposed to drive that much because VW didn't give you permission. :p

Nice work!

I haven't kept track of my daily mileage, but I am planning a ~215 mile journey this coming weekend (hope to do it in about 4.5 - 5 hours). I am going to make three DCFC stops and drive 3000 feet up a mountain (45 miles uphill) at the end of the trip.

The e-Golf is meant to be driven long distances and DCFC charged multiple times in succession. VW encourages it:

http://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/road-tripping-from-new-york-to-dc-on-just-electricity/

Pure publicity stunt. And you need to read between the lines there.... 40 minutes is hardly fast charging, as Mimura has pointed out numerous times, it is DC charging, but it is Level 2 DC charging, not true level 3 DC CCS 80% recharged in 20 minutes, not 40 or 50 like the charger stations (Charge Point 100) VW installed for free at various hotels and lodging locations to provide at least a little bit of proper VW and BMW medium charging capabilities, which don't exceed a 1C recharge rate.

The biggest problem with DC recharging is that it's provided only as a convenience, it's somewhat damaging to the life of the batteries, as it does NOT provide balance charging of all the cells to equal energy levels. And that is very problematic with Li Ion cells, as any RC enthusiast whose had set of cells get out of balance on recharging and go up in flames will tell you. If you read the owners manual they recommend first and foremost that you recharge as often as possible at home.

While I feel comfortable occasionally using the ChargePoint 100 level 2 DC CCS chargers that put out 24 kwh, I rarely see 21kwh going into the battery. 19 or 20 kwh is more the norm. Sitting around for 50 minutes to get to a 90% SOC is not my idea of a good time. I could be at home, doing a myriad of other things, getting a charge rate at 239 to 244V and seeing a real 7.2 kwh recharge rate, be done most of the time in 2.5 to 2.75 hours, and most importantly, my battery pack gets a full equalization recharge, every time, which is what is healthiest for the battery packs longevity. I could take 15 minutes off of those home recharging times if I was satisfied with a 98% recharge level if I was pressed for time, too, the last 10 to 15 minutes is when the equalization portion of the recharging is going on, and it's a very time consuming process for the amount of Kwh added, but it is a regular necessity.

I believe about a year ago now, probably in May of 2016, I did a 300 mile drive in a day, maybe a bit more or a bit less, down to San Ysidro and the border of Mexico and back. It was a very long day. I seem to recall recharging 4 times. BMW in Santa Ana with a charge point 100, a Kia dealership with a Green Lots recharger that got me to 90% in a half hour, then I went over from the Kia dealership to the next door Ford dealership and sat another 30 minutes on a level 2 recharger until fully recharged, went to San Ysidro, visited a friend for a couple hours, drove up to BMW Encinitas another Charge point 100 recharge, 45 minutes, drove to BMW of Santa Ana again, Charge point 100 recharge for 50 minutes, and 25 minutes on the level 2 recharger there for a full recharge, and then home. Got back at 10 pm, barely finished charging in Santa Ana before the dealership closed down at 9 pm that night. It was purely an experimental drive. That said, I pretty much now just keep the e-Golf around where I live now, and let the TDI diesel do the heavy lifting when I need to make a lot of miles in a day, say Los Angeles to Durango, CO for going mountain bike riding on the Colorado Trail, or Moab, UT.

VW is good at doing publicity stunts like this, pointing out things like a TDI passat made a gazzillion miles on a tank full of diesel fuel. Professional drivers of course. https://www.cars.com/articles/2012/05/84-mpg-couple-break-mileage-record-with-passat-tdi/

Nobody in their right mind that knows even a little bit about diesels, their HPFP's using fuel as both lubricant and coolant in the Bosch design, would ever run their fuel tank below 1/4 tank of fuel left, it trashes the HPFP and whole fuel system. VW provided the car for the stunt. Running a HPFP out of fuel is suicide for the pump, ask anyone that had a fuel filter changed out by the VW dealership, and didn't prime the whole fuel system first, purging it of all air, before trying to start the car up after the service, and shortly thereafter had a complete HPFP failure.

So seeing what the passat "will do" on a tank of fuel has for certain impacted the HPFP in that passat, in the article. Just because someone else does it, doesn't mean you should try to do it too. Get past the idiotic, clueless sales and marketing teams at VW of America, and talk to some engineers out back, and you'll get the true story on the design intentions and preferred operating and recharging methods. Or go out to Beatty, NV, in and around Death Valley and Phoenix, AZ, where the car makers do their preliminary testing before DOT and CARB certifications are run. I've seen BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Bentley testing out there during the summer months, 1 driver and 3 engineers in 4 seats, monitoring their laptops while driving and logging results.

My spouse and I drove about the same distance last Saturday. We did our first quick charge in the e-Golf - and it was a 50kW EVSE, even. We went from ~26 miles to full (over 120 miles indicated!) in about 36 minutes. It was amazing.

However, on the return trip, the same EVSE unit (the Chargepoint dual standard unit at the UMass visitor's center) failed to work, with an Error 62 indicated. I called it in to Chargepoint, and they tried to fix it, but no go.

So, we had to endure a lot of 6kW Level 2 charging in order to reach home. The drive out in the morning took less than 3 hours, including charging and shopping for lunch food. The drive home took over 5 hours, including charge time, and about 9-10 miles of extra driving to get to a second ESVE because we had a lot of hills, and would have missed making it home by about 10-12 miles.

Just completed a 420 mile round trip this weekend. 210 miles each way. Three DCFC sessions (42 kW -25 min, 42 kW- 25 min, 36 kW- 30 min) on the way to the mountain. I charged to 90% SOC via L1 at the top of the mountain so I had "room" for regen on the way down the mountain. Two DCFC sessions on the way down from the mountain (42 kW - 25 min, 42 kW - 30 min). I had no problems (other than an ass 735i driver who parked in the EV charging spot, but the ABB cord was long enough to enable me to block him in, and did not even need to wait for someone in front of me). The car was great and performed exactly as expected. All driving done in Eco mode with the A/C on and driving at 55 MPH in 55 zones, 60 MPH in 65 zones and 65 MPH in 70 MPH zones. I did not record efficiency but I was able to arrive at each charging station with at least ~15 miles left. The power gauge was at "max" for all 420 miles.

f1geek said:
Just completed a 420 mile round trip this weekend. 210 miles each way. Three DCFC sessions (42 kW -25 min, 42 kW- 25 min, 36 kW- 30 min) on the way to the mountain. I charged to 90% SOC via L1 at the top of the mountain so I had "room" for regen on the way down the mountain. Two DCFC sessions on the way down from the mountain (42 kW - 25 min, 42 kW - 30 min). I had no problems (other than an ass 735i driver who parked in the EV charging spot, but the ABB cord was long enough to enable me to block him in, and did not even need to wait for someone in front of me). The car was great and performed exactly as expected. All driving done in Eco mode with the A/C on and driving at 55 MPH in 55 zones, 60 MPH in 65 zones and 65 MPH in 70 MPH zones. I did not record efficiency but I was able to arrive at each charging station with at least ~15 miles left. The power gauge was at "max" for all 420 miles.

How do you get 42 kw in 25 minutes, in a 24 kw battery on an e-Golf? Or were you driving something else, not an e-Golf. Why don't you share with us how many kWh you added to the battery with each recharge, instead. 42 kw means nothing, other than a maximum recharge rate, unless you log the charge rate, and how it varies every minute, or 3 minutes, or 5 minutes, over the recharging cycle. Statistically, your post is misleading.

Power = volts x amps; power is measured in kW

Energy = volts x amp-hours; energy is measured in kWh

Charge rate is measured in kW.
Battery capacity is measured in kWh.

I stopped for 25 minutes and charged at a rate of 42 kW (there was a rate taper after hitting 79% SOC (State of Charge). I don't know exactly how many kWh the car gained as I was not keeping track because I was off getting lunch or using the bathroom. In general on this trip, I arrived to all of the charging stations with about a 10-15% SOC and left with about 85% SOC.

42 kW is a very meaningful number. It's far better to charge at 42 kW than to charge at 22 kW or 7.2 kW because the faster the charge rate, the less time you need to wait to get to the desired battery SOC.

When I wrote 42 kW, it's because the charge rate was a constant 42 kW (after the initial ramp during the first minute) until the SOC hit 79%. The rate then tapered down to about 22 kW by the time I disconnected at ~85% SOC.

There is nothing misleading about my post. If you don't understand power and energy, then none of this information is helpful. Does it make sense now?

JoulesThief said:
How do you get 42 kw in 25 minutes, in a 24 kw battery on an e-Golf? Or were you driving something else, not an e-Golf. Why don't you share with us how many kWh you added to the battery with each recharge, instead. 42 kw means nothing, other than a maximum recharge rate, unless you log the charge rate, and how it varies every minute, or 3 minutes, or 5 minutes, over the recharging cycle. Statistically, your post is misleading.
JT, it seems you just have the SI symbols backwards. As f1geek explained, kW measures power and kWh measures work or energy (specific power over time).

I've done 267 miles in one day. It was last summer from Boston to NYC. Ran 30 miles of errands around Boston, charged up on L2, and set out.

Stopped for a quick L2 below Providence. Hit the L3's in Mystic + Milford. And then recharged on L2 in Manhattan. If I recall, everything except Mystic was free. Happy to see they are adding more L3's on this corridor.

Glad to see JT is still the EV grinch on this board. Get that dude a life.

Verkehr said:
JoulesThief said:
JT, it seems you just have the SI symbols backwards. As f1geek explained, kW measures power and kWh measures work or energy (specific power over time).

I've never seen my e-Golf charger faster than 35 36 kW on a level 3, and that was with 8 miles of range left and maybe 1.2kw left in the battery. By the time 18 minutes had gone by, it had tapered down already, to 18kW. At 30 minutes, I was 91% SOC and at 7kW. I shut the unit off, there was a 30 minute charge limit, anyways.

Back