Best Winter Tires Choices?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rsolaregolf said:
Drove the past 2 days on dry roads, 20F to 30F, averaged 3.4m/kwh.....snow and very low temps makes a big difference apparently.

3.4 mi/kWH is actually quite good for a winter drive. My Leaf used to average that at 50-60 degrees F.

I used for the second winter time the tires I got from my Volvo C30 D5 i.e. Kleber Krisalp 205x16* and did not notice remarkable change in range : around 18kw/h / 100km versus 16kwh/100km with original wheels and tires. My egolf is now about 24.000km and celebrated 2 years last december.Most of the drives are locals, max 100/120km back and forth.
*mounted on steel wheels purchased from VW

50F and dry roads, 3.7 m/kwh the other day on a 25mi drive. Last week with the cold and snow we were in the 2.6-8 range. Spring is around the corner(maybe) so we can get the stock tires back on soon.

Jaysher said:
Thanks for the info. Those are studded tires? I'm amazed that they didn't reduce your range.

I avoid studs here in Oregon as our winter can be a mix on snow-less trips to Portland and snow-packed trips up the valley. So I look for good stud-less snow tires to cover the range of conditions.

Have you driven the eGolf in snow and ice yet? Wonder how it performs. Last winter I had a surprisingly hard time getting up an icy driveway that the Subaru ate up. (We didn't give up the Subaru!)

Hey Jaysher, I have a quick question about the performance of your eGolf. Have you driven it around in a lot of snow our there, or was your example in reference to another car you used? I'm asking because I plan on switching to one soon and I wanted to know more about how it handled in the snow. To give you an idea of the weather climate i'm thinking about, how do you think it would run during the winter in Norther California up in the mountains? There isn't as much snow as other places, but there is still enough where you need to factor in the performance of your car

For reference, mix of freeway and city streets, 60/40, Ecopia tires, Southern California, all San Fernando Valley driving, no accessories used except radio, some LED headlights on my 2015 SEL. Mostly surface streets timed to hit as many green lights on Blvds as possible. and 75 to 85F temps. First started this electrical fillup on a freshly completed full recharge at 240V in my garage.

Spring has sprung in So Cal, I haven't seen this kind of miles per recharge since spring of 2016.

20170316_192941_zpsbsvmkjsz.jpg

20170316_192949_zpswte7dpax.jpg

mackson6 said:
How about the Bridgestone Blizzaks? I've heard fairly good reviews about them.

Getting a bit late in the season unless your in the southern hemisphere ;) Never had Blizzaks. The General Altimax Arctics studded we used were fine. Averaged 3.5mi/kwh for the winter using the heat pump with some regularity.

Stock tires are back on now as we won't be driving our eGolf until mid April.

good luck

NeilBlanchard said:
My favorite winter tire maker is Nokian - they are in Finland, so they know how to do winter. And they are low rolling resistance - the Hakka R2 in particular is an ultra-low rolling resistance tire. Really.

For the best performance in snow and ice, the Hakka 8 (with or without studs) is what you want.

I have their WRG3 all-weather tires on our e-Golf at the moment - a true all weather, but not quite as great in the winter. And "only" low rolling resistance - not ultra low.

Michelin X-Ice 2's are also pretty good.

I run Nokian winters on my 2.5 Jetta , have been very pleased with tread life and performance in the snow slush etc. I will be fitting a same brand tire to my eGolf for November

Back