OEM Spare Tire Setup for e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eGolf2015

For those of you who are lamenting the lack of a spare tire in your car: it is possible to put together a legit spare tire kit (like Golf owners in Europe get) that fits perfectly in the e-Golf!

Most of the parts can be purchased from your local VW dealer or online from Deutsche Auto Parts (shopdap.com - highly recommended), but the foam tray and curved trim piece (if needed) are available from European sellers such as e-ACCA (e-acca.com - also highly recommended).

Apparently some US Golfs now come with the curved trim piece that allows the spare to sit correctly, but if your car has the straight version you can save a few bucks by dremelling out a curve like I did. Everything you see here fits neatly in the lower storage area of the hatch under the storage cover/floor.

This whole set-up cost a little over $400 after shipping and tax. It probably could have been put it together for about $300-$350 if I had done a better job of comparing prices before ordering. Not exactly cheap, but since my tires seem to be nail magnets I decided it was worth the investment. I hope someone else finds this helpful.

Here's a breakdown of the specific components and VW part numbers:

(A) 5K0601011AA Spare Wheel w/Tire
(B) 1K0803899D Threaded Post w/Nut
(C) 5G0012115N Foam Tool Tray
(D) 5C0011031B Jack
(E) 5G0867749 Jack Retaining Strap
(F) 5QM011221 Jack Crank
(G) 4D0012219A Lug Wrench
(H) 5G6863459L82V Curved Trim Piece (modified straight trim piece is pictured)

Already included in your car's flat tire kit:
(I) 8K0805615 Towing Eye Hook
(J) 8Z0012255 Screwdriver
(K) 6X0012243 Lug Bolt Cap Removal Tool
(L) Wheel lock key

Big thanks to the many Golf R owners on VWVortex for sharing info and part numbers!

Especially since it's a spare, you don't even have to buy brand new parts, particularly the wheel/tire assembly. Getting a used spare wheel/tire from a wrecked MkV or later VW product (or related Audi like the A3 or TT, maybe A4 as well) should work.

I didn't put it on the car itself, but I do know the spare tire from my 2006 A3 does fit below the package shelf. No need to get the foam divider compartments unless you want to; our cars don't have it now and the removable floor panel still fits flush, though you obviously can't put it in the "lower" position with the spare tire beneath it. This is the photo I took of my A3's spare in my eGolf's trunk:

CD94D418-7386-4305-9390-C93EA75125A0_zpsetza0tcn.jpg

Agreed - if you can find some of the equipment used, especially the spare itself, it'll cost a lot less. That was my plan to start, but none of the wreckers or junkyards within an hour of me had any late-model Golfs or A3s to scavenge from, and the donut spares on eBay would have cost about the same after shipping.

BUMP:

I finally got around to putting on a spare in my eGolf. I am using the spare tire from from my Alltrack, which happens to be the exact same overall diameter as the standard tires on the eGolf. The Alltrack got a fullsize spare tire that I ordered off eBay.

I bought the securing nut from Deutsche Auto Parts. While it was cheaper than at the VW dealer, because the actual part is only a few dollars from VW itself (surprisingly cheap), the savings buying it from DAP weren't much, but the shipping cost was surprisingly high even though I bought a few other things from the same time. So if all you want to buy is the securing nut (and I recommend you do, the removable shelf and especially the hatch privacy cover will NOT stop a loose spare tire from banging around the interior in a violent crash), I would suggest buying it directly from your VW dealer's parts department.

I didn't buy the lower trim piece nor trim the existing one; I will wait until I buy out the lease (likely, but not certain) before I do so. The trim piece is not in stock at DAP and the only other place that had it wanted over $70; MSRP from VW is $90. The tire doesn't fit fully flat to the floor as a result, but the removable floor that covers it only sits slightly higher than usual and you wouldn't notice it.

I didn't get jack or other tire changing tools. I figured that with the car being electric, I'm very unlikely to go anywhere that's out of cell phone range (the car barely leaves LA County) so I can always call AAA to come change it. If I do buy the car then I'll buy the other tools as well.

Hopefully you will find, as I did, that the preventative benefit of having the spare tire is worth the time and money spent....my car hasn't had a single flat since installing everything just over a year ago!

While I've had some slow-leak punctures over the past few years that could be temporarily fixed by overinflating the tire to the max pressure on the sidewall and driving on city streets to a tire shop, the last time I had a catastrophic flat was over 20 years ago. I was coming home from San Diego on a Sunday evening when the right rear tire of my Maxima blew out. I was barely able to limp it across 5 lanes of speeding traffic to the Camp Pendleton exit, where there was a gas station. I called out AAA from a pay phone (remember those?) and they changed the tire, but now I'm having to face driving on the freeway at far less than the "usual" speed with a donut spare. Believe me, that's a scary experience, even if you stay in the far right lane. I had no choice but to stay on the freeway through the base, but as soon as the nearest exit open to civilians came up, I took city streets home. Took forever, but then at least I knew I wouldn't get run over by an impatient trucker nor would I have an accident caused by running a 50 MPH-rated donut spare at much higher than designed speeds.

So that's why I prefer putting full size spares in when I can. It's not so much an issue with the eGolf (and the Leaf before that, which NEVER got a spare) since those rarely stray far from home, but I definitely do so with any ICEVs I own. Fortunately the spare tire well of the Alltrack is deep enough for a full size spare, which is atypical for a modern car. Since I now had a spare "spare" I figured I might as well put it into the eGolf since it fits.

I've been more unlucky..

1 Yr ago Blown Tire (hit a curb)
6 mths ago Blown Tire (hit some debris on the freeway)
1.5Yr blown tire.

so 3 in 2 years.
I need a spare in my eGolf.

Egolf2015. Can you tell me the tire size of that Temp Spare in your car?
On the sidewall like **/*** R18 or ?
Thank you.

dvbenner said:
Thank you.

I'm not Egolf2015 but I can tell you the one I'm using is the T125/70R-18 spare out of a 2017 Alltrack.

RonDawg said:
dvbenner said:
Thank you.

I'm not Egolf2015 but I can tell you the one I'm using is the T125/70R-18 spare out of a 2017 Alltrack.

Those are the same measurements on my spare as well.

Does anyone know if a 16" temp spare from MK7 will fit both the spare tire well under the cargo area floor as well as properly on the hub? I've have located one about 100 miles from home and want to confirm before I drive over and pick it up.

It will fit in the spare tire well but it won't fit flush to the bottom-most floor without trimming the plastic piece that goes over the sill of the hatch opening. The false floor will flex a bit to allow you to snap it down fully. You can also buy the specific trim piece from VW if you don't want to cut it (or are leasing and need to return the car to stock).

To be honest I've actually never put mine on, but I see no reason why it would not fit.

I found a 16" temp spare from a 2016 Golf gasser, $105 including shipping. It arrived yesterday, it has never been mounted as the paint on the lug bolt holes is "virgin". It fit in the spare tire well just fine. I have a OEM retainer nut coming from Quirk parts $8. We kept the jack and lug wrench from a 2000 Passat we previously owned, they fit under the floor as well. I'll wait until spring time when I swap the winter tire out and then install it for a test fit. Hopefully we'll never need it.

I'm planning on keeping the compressor in my experimental airplane with a jack especially designed for it. Along with a tube and the other necessary tools I should be all set for a flat. Hopefully we'll never need it (X2).

the spare tire "bolt" showed up a few days early, simple to install, just push down into the slot in the bodywork and twist 90*, it locks into place. It's exactly the same as the setup in our 2015 SEL TDI Passat. 1K0803899D is the part number if anyone needs it.

So for $112 we now have a "real" spare.

I'm putting the sealant that came with the eGolf in our 07 MX5 as the original Mazda is well past expiration.

the spare tire "bolt" showed up a few days early, simple to install, just push down into the slot in the bodywork and twist 90*, it locks into place. It's exactly the same as the setup in our 2015 SEL TDI Passat. 1K0803899D is the part number if anyone needs it.

So for $112 we now have a "real" spare.

I'm putting the sealant that came with the eGolf in our 07 MX5 as the original Mazda sealant is well past expiration.

Thanks so much for posting this! I just bought an eGolf and was really bothered by not having a spare tire. Even though I just traded in a 2005 car that I never once had to use the spare, I don't like not having one.
I noticed that the part listed for spare wheel w/ tire is for a 17" however my car has 16" wheels. How big of a deal is it to have spare of differing sizes?

Speedygonzo said:
Thanks so much for posting this! I just bought an eGolf and was really bothered by not having a spare tire. Even though I just traded in a 2005 car that I never once had to use the spare, I don't like not having one.
I noticed that the part listed for spare wheel w/ tire is for a 17" however my car has 16" wheels. How big of a deal is it to have spare of differing sizes?
The 17" rim size does not matter. The rolling diameter of the tread is the thing that matters.

ShopDAP has the entire kit now available:

https://www.shopdap.com/golf-r-spare-tire-kit-mk7-mk75.html

Nice that there is a kit. To save money, you could use a dremel tool to cut the existing plastic trunk trim piece (which is what I did).

Back