Sporty tire options ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skryll

I brought my 2015 VW eGolf SEL to a tire shop to look at a tire that keeps losing air, and they told me that the tires are basically considered bald, and I should replace them all, and in addition they found about 5 nails in them total.

So I guess its time to do this.

What are the best tires if you love acceleration and pickup and cornering ? Secondary but also not unimportant to me are road noise and miles per kWh efficiency.

I am looking for all season tires and don't know much about the topic.

I had the potenza tires on my jetta before the eGolf and really liked those :)

Skryll said:
I brought my 2015 VW eGolf SEL to a tire shop to look at a tire that keeps losing air, and they told me that the tires are basically considered bald, and I should replace them all, and in addition they found about 5 nails in them total.

So I guess its time to do this.

What are the best tires if you love acceleration and pickup and cornering ? Secondary but also not unimportant to me are road noise and miles per kWh efficiency.

I am looking for all season tires and don't know much about the topic.

I had the potenza tires on my jetta before the eGolf and really liked those :)

TireRack.com is a great source for tire research. Their search engine lets you apply lots of filters to get down to what you want, they have good prices, and they have lots of user posted feedback.

If you're not going to go +1 or more (changing to 17" or larger) on your wheel size, you're going to feel the impact of the higher profile sidewall of the 16" wheel/tire combo and narrower tire regardless of what pattern/compound of the new tire.

Tires really are one of those two out of three situations. You're not going to get stellar economy, a quiet ride, and performance out of any tire - 2 out of three is really the best you can hope for (and sometimes you end up with just 1!)

Did your car come with the Continental tires or the Bridgestone Ecopia tires?

I also research tires on Tire Rack because they have the ratings clearly indicated.

Within the tires that have some Eco rating, I would probably go with the Continental "PureContact with EcoPlus Technology" or the Pirelli "Cinturato P7 All Season Plus". There are multiple variations of these tires with H and V speed ratings and the Pirelli also has a XL 94V rated version. There is also a Bridgestone "Potenza RE97AS" but is has a lower 480 treadwear rating compared to the 700 rating of the other Conti and Pirelli tires above.

If you want to go into High Performance or Ultra High Performance All Season category tires that have no Eco rating, then look at the Continental "ExtremeContact DWS 06", Bridgestone "Potenza RE970AS Pole Position", and the Michelin "Pilot Sport A/S 3+".

Back when I had an Audi A3, the last two sets of tires were the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (specifically the 3+ on the last set). Great tires. Don't know how they'll affect the range though.

forbin404 said:
How many miles Skryll?

24,900 since january 2015, probably about 12k put on in the first year before we replaced the Honda Odyssey with the Tesla Model X, then about 7k/year after

miimura said:
Did your car come with the Continental tires or the Bridgestone Ecopia tires?

It came with the Continental.

From another user forum I got a recommendation for the goodyear efficientgrip:
Goodyear EfficientGrip perf. FP. Dim. 205/55 R16 but when looking at reviews I got turned off.

So I narrowed it down to and am going with the Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tire.

Thanks all

"So I narrowed it down to and am going with the Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tire."

I got them installed at Big O Tires, but declined the alignment there and to double check the work did the alignment at my VW Service center for just $10 more - which did end up including a complementary car wash which I would not have gotten at Big O either :)

So here is what puzzles me:

The car came with the Contis, and the door jamb sticker says to fill tires to 41 PSI. When the Potenzas got installed, nothing was changed about the door jamb sticker, so I presume 41psi still applies?

When I brought it to VW they said the tires were at 48/45/45/46 and that they adjusted them to 41/41/41/41

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position+RFT&partnum=055HR6RE960PPRFT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2015&autoModel=e-Golf&autoModClar=#RatingsReviews shows that max is 45 psi for the eGolf.

What would you pick ? It's currently 102F where I live :)

the bridgestone site says that 'hot' tires should be 4lbs higher than 'normal' so BigO did it right. Though the 48 one is a little high.

Tire pressures should always be checked when they are "cold", meaning they have been sitting for several hours. I hate it when dealers adjust the tire pressure downward, because unless the car was sitting overnight, that would mean the tires are now underinflated.

A few pounds overinflated (as long as it doesn't exceed the max pressure molded into the sidewall) is always preferable to a few pounds under.

Sorry to butt in - is it OK to change from an eco tire to a sporty tire if you are leasing the car ?
I wanna say I read someone on this forum talking about having to keep the same sort of rating/eco-tire or it would affect how the battery discharges, and could impact your lease... Or at the very least, they expect an eco tire upon return ? Note I'm saying "read that somewhere", to me that makes no sense, a tire is a tire and if I lose 5 miles of range I'm good with that....

Ironically I have a nail in one today, getting patched as I type this, but those awful ecopia (señor squeaky as I call them) need to go soon.... The patch will probably be better rubber than the rest of that POS tire ;-)

Deschodt said:
Sorry to butt in - is it OK to change from an eco tire to a sporty tire if you are leasing the car ?
I wanna say I read someone on this forum talking about having to keep the same sort of rating/eco-tire or it would affect how the battery discharges, and could impact your lease... Or at the very least, they expect an eco tire upon return ? Note I'm saying "read that somewhere", to me that makes no sense, a tire is a tire and if I lose 5 miles of range I'm good with that....

Ironically I have a nail in one today, getting patched as I type this, but those awful ecopia (señor squeaky as I call them) need to go soon.... The patch will probably be better rubber than the rest of that POS tire ;-)

Good, let me know where I can pick up your trashy Ecopia's for free. Hopefully, you are located somewhere in So California. I am serious... one mans garbage is another mans treasure.

As for return on a lease, as long as it has 4 tires on it, and they all are the same brand and size, and model, I think whatever you turn in on it, you turn in on it. If they are badly worn, again, it will get 4 new shoes before going up for sale again. Whether or not it's on your dime for them, I am not certain.

I understand your need for performance in tires. It's just Vw sets these cars up for the masses and the masses want the MPG between recharges. A few want to be able to pull close to a lateral G with an e-golf. And it's probably close to doable in the car, with sticky tires. Mid .8's or low .8's? Not sure if rubber compound has come that far yet without a ton of suspension mods to stiffen things up also. I read somewhere that a 2015 GTI manual was capable of .96G on the skid pad. So who knows what the limit is, but it's up there, a lot. Maybe a set of skins off a 2015 GTI is what you really want? Worth looking into.

Back