Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: California Rebates Funds Exhausted (again)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:28 pm 

johnnylingo wrote:
RonDawg wrote:
I agree it's not fair to subsidize those people but then again we were giving $2500 rebates to millionaires until recently. And unless you live in the Bay Area, or certain parts of LA, $150k/year is doing very well, yet those folks can still get $2500 back.

This is why I don't like income-based restrictions for rebates. There's lot of factors other than gross income that affect a person's purchasing decisions and financial status.

Besides, whether the applicant is a prince or pauper, who cares? The whole point of the rebates is to encourage EV usage, which in turn drive demand to improve charging infrastructure, thus making the transition to EVs easier.

To some, it's the whole notion of "why should I subsidize your eco-fetish?" That's when I turn around and say "Why should I subsidize you having children, or owning a home? Both of them come with tax deductions."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:36 pm 

There's also a real PR problem: when people think "EVs", they think of Teslas and the millionaires who drive them. The manufacturers have done a horrible job promoting their EVs, probably because the profit margins are much thinner (or negative, in the case of the Bolt).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:49 pm 

johnnylingo wrote:
There's also a real PR problem: when people think "EVs", they think of Teslas and the millionaires who drive them. The manufacturers have done a horrible job promoting their EVs, probably because the profit margins are much thinner (or negative, in the case of the Bolt).

That's because most EV's are 'Compliance'. They are made so they don't have to pay special fees for not complying.

It's the reason why VW and Fiat only sell their EV's in certain states. To meet compliance.
So why should they encourage more sales? They are most likely losing money.

Tesla doesn't make much for each car, they make it from selling those 'Compliance Credits' to other companies. Since Tesla doesn't have an ICE car, they don't have to meet any compliance rules. But they are sitting on a ton of EV credits.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:57 pm 

rebates ( have to pay full price and applicable taxes first ) to apply for rebate here .. are static based on seats and type of vehicle . BEV and 5 seats gets the max $14000 .. hybrid and 4 seats gets less , eg: egolf 14k ; i3 13k one less seat ... but it gets an ICE off the road and helps expand green driving. 14k on an egolf is roughly 35% rebate where as 14k on a Tesla is 15% rebate .. that is where the income / means test gets addressed somewhat .. charging off peak uses normally wasted electricity so there is another positive for electric vehicles .. Europe starts banning ICE vehicles as early as 2025 for Norway and Holland , Germany 2030 ... their big export is vehicles so risking GDP on a whim or fetish is unlikely .. we either flesh out Hydrogen vehicles and infrastructure ( large compressed tanks ) to fill them or continue with grid and charger development as gas and diesel will be the next ' buggy whip ' IMHO .. fuel will not vanish over night, but we should see fewer gas stations I hope ... :lol:

1976 MGB
maintain nanas 2013 VW jetta