Car-Net update on 6/2/17

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PacBlue said:
JoulesThief said:
PacBlue said:
The new app version can also be funny as well ... when VW service was working on my car, I kept getting a notice that my windows were open and there was a moderate change for rain ! Using iOS on an older 5s iPhone the 'unlocked doors' notice actually gets sent pretty quickly but could be your local cell network lag -- Verizon is pretty robust here around Chicago -- I do wonder once the 'trial' goes away if the app gets any worse - all I want to keep working is the battery percent charge / timer, they can keep the rest. The graphics change is a bit better but the whole thing could use a better interface so you can easily shut off kind of meaningless 'alerts' when not really relevant (I would typically NOT lock the car in an enclosed garage).

You do want to lock the doors, even in an enclosed garage, to shut off all the peripheral electronics in your car. When your car door is unlocked, the car is semi "awake" and has phantom loads on the battery. Lock the doors to prevent that. German cars have been like that forever, so you need to get used to it.

Not sure what else might be running but I do lock the doors when I'm charging it overnight as its easier to take the charging nozzle out; leaving it unlocked seems to confuse the whole locked charged nozzle set up that VW insisted on using. As another aside, my 'trial' for Car-net (put in quotes because its like the 3rd time due to buying it used and needing to reset the app a few times with their support people) and other than reinstalling it on my iPhone the EV specific functions that they said should continue to work are indeed working (we partial charge during the week and full charge on weekends as we do lots of errands); the car continues to perform quite well; scored a 6.5 miles/kWh on a recent trip using the B-mode, love the level of regen in stop and go travel and the ease of just about one pedal driving.

Nice, see what you get for miles per kWh, per round trip.

I have two beefs with the notification on the Android

1) It's 3 lines long (1 is blank) that means on my phone, I can't see why my car is notifying me.
2) It notifies after 2 minutes, I wish that was changeable.

As a side note, the website said my car was unlocked, even though it was. (And yes I refreshed the data)

batmick1 said:
ckthorp said:
My car "helpfully" told me the doors were unlocked 10 minutes in to my journey, while I was still driving.

It also messages me every couple days telling me there is a problem and to review the VHR ("My health report shows that I may need some attention. Check the latest VHR for more details."). Unfortunately, I have no way to review the VHR as I don't subscribe to the full car-net...

Anyone have a way to disable these "features"?

I agree. The "my door is unlocked", "my doors are open" notifications that come with a delay of sometimes minutes are extremely annoying and useless. I wish they had provided an option to turn those off.

Other than a slightly cleaner look, this app update did not bring any improvements at all.

My car is unlocked alert comes randomly! (As I have commented previously, VW is NOT a software company and does not know how to develop good software which is what is needed going forward as a car company.)

TwoCarsAWeek said:
batmick1 said:
ckthorp said:
My car "helpfully" told me the doors were unlocked 10 minutes in to my journey, while I was still driving.

It also messages me every couple days telling me there is a problem and to review the VHR ("My health report shows that I may need some attention. Check the latest VHR for more details."). Unfortunately, I have no way to review the VHR as I don't subscribe to the full car-net...

Anyone have a way to disable these "features"?

I agree. The "my door is unlocked", "my doors are open" notifications that come with a delay of sometimes minutes are extremely annoying and useless. I wish they had provided an option to turn those off.

Other than a slightly cleaner look, this app update did not bring any improvements at all.

My car is unlocked alert comes randomly! (As I have commented previously, VW is NOT a software company and does not know how to develop good software which is what is needed going forward as a car company.)

So ignore it. None of my other VW's tell me they are locked or unlocked. If the little red light is flashing like it's supposed to when you last leave your car, that's all you need to know. Hit the button on the keyfob and go.

Yet another car-net update (was forced to delete and reinstall on my iPhone, notice sent to me via email on 7/13), EV only functions still working and the whole 'e-Golf is unlocked' push notice is now back BUT I did like the fact that regardless of if this app works, I can easily override the charging timer I set up by simply pushing the 'regular' charge button right after I plug the car in -- that's all I really want anyway as not much real value in the other stuff (dash readout shows consumption, etc.). My AC use has been up due to some 90+ F days but doesn't seem to be that much overall effect on range (much more so in the winter as expected but the e-golf's AC seems to also be more efficient than my first gen LEAF ever was; seems to cool faster even in B-mode). Still have yet to see many around Chicagoland but I'm sure there are some -- most recent 100% EV's spotted included 2 Chevy Bolts, a MBZ B-class Electric (still had its CA plates and HOA stickers) and a Fiat 500e in bright orange; the Bolt's were from WI but have heard that a few Chevy dealer's are getting theirs from dealer swaps. My e-Golf continues to perform quite well!

Tip for anyone getting the message: Account is locked, contact Administrator when doing a password reset...

Try logging in to the site again (with bad password), then going back to the forgot my password link. You'll then get a password reset e-mail.

Hey, whatever. It works. :roll:

johnnylingo said:
Tip for anyone getting the message: Account is locked, contact Administrator when doing a password reset...

Try logging in to the site again (with bad password), then going back to the forgot my password link. You'll then get a password reset e-mail.

Hey, whatever. It works. :roll:
I'm still irked that I have to keep putting in my email / password every week.

I agree with others, this update is a terrible step backwards in usability. I have to put in my email address and password every time I open the app. I was quite optimistic when I first opened the updated app and saw the option to use TouchID, but it hasn't worked for me yet.

It's close enough to unusable that I'll use the web app from my desktop or not login at all.

formerdieselrumbler said:
I agree with others, this update is a terrible step backwards in usability. I have to put in my email address and password every time I open the app. I was quite optimistic when I first opened the updated app and saw the option to use TouchID, but it hasn't worked for me yet.

It's close enough to unusable that I'll use the web app from my desktop or not login at all.

I've been doing that since Jan or Feb, 2017, for my 2015 SEL e-Golf. As was said above, VW is not a programming or app business, they rather suck at it. I really don't need the doors locked or windows open crap in the app. I take care of all of that before I leave the car. Put the back of my hand up against the outside of the drivers door handle and hold it there, all the windows roll up and the door locks. Problem solved, it will be in the same condition when I return. Standard Operating Procedure. People are getting lazy due to all these apps doing everything for you. Sad.

JoulesThief said:
I've been doing that since Jan or Feb, 2017, for my 2015 SEL e-Golf. As was said above, VW is not a programming or app business, they rather suck at it. I really don't need the doors locked or windows open crap in the app. I take care of all of that before I leave the car. Put the back of my hand up against the outside of the drivers door handle and hold it there, all the windows roll up and the door locks. Problem solved, it will be in the same condition when I return. Standard Operating Procedure. People are getting lazy due to all these apps doing everything for you. Sad.
Was that a working feature or was that just sarcasm or SEL only?

I didn't know holding the knob does that.

Back