Is this a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxleo17

I am looking at purchasing an e-Golf. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal?

New 2016 e-Golf SEL Premium
$28,495 before any tax credits
Leatherette Seats

Also, can anyone comment on their experience as an e-Golf owner, pluses and minuses. I plan to use it mostly for short commutes and local driving. One more thing: I live in Colorado which does not sell this vehicle. Is this a bad idea regarding service issues? I had a dealership say they would service, but I'm not sure I believe them.

Thanks

maxleo17 said:
I am looking at purchasing an e-Golf. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal?

Leatherette Seats

Also, can anyone comment on their experience as an e-Golf owner, pluses and minuses. I plan to use it mostly for short commutes and local driving. One more thing: I live in Colorado which does not sell this vehicle. Is this a bad idea regarding service issues? I had a dealership say they would service, but I'm not sure I believe them.

Thanks
If your dealer has a certified Tech, you don't have much issues, but if they don't. Oooo that's a world of hurt.

I appreciate your response. This is what the service guy told me. What do you think?

"VW did not set up the eGolf to be sold in Colorado. No Colorado dealers are eGolf dealers. Our techncians are not trained on eGolf. VW does have a process if an eGolf is in another market that is not trained to work on it. If there are e-machine issues that we cannot work on they can send a factory representative to our dealership to help. We have not had to deal with that yet."

maxleo17 said:
I appreciate your response. This is what the service guy told me. What do you think?

"VW did not set up the eGolf to be sold in Colorado. No Colorado dealers are eGolf dealers. Our techncians are not trained on eGolf. VW does have a process if an eGolf is in another market that is not trained to work on it. If there are e-machine issues that we cannot work on they can send a factory representative to our dealership to help. We have not had to deal with that yet."
I think the quote above is entirely reasonable. I doubt they see many Jetta Hybrids or Toureg Hybrids either. As VW starts to introduce more plug-in models, more dealers will become trained to work on the high voltage systems. There is also the rumor that the e-Golf will become a 50 state car, but so far that's all it is - a rumor. If the Atlas is ever released as a plug-in model like the CrossBlue Concept that previewed the Atlas, it would serve to push many more dealer service departments to get trained. There have also been rumors that the Golf GTE plug-in hybrid would be introduced to the US market. It would have a similar effect.

maxleo17 said:

Leatherette Seats

Thanks

Can't comment on the deal, as I'm not sure. I bought mine used last year for $18,200 and had it shipped from Bakersfield, CA to Scottsdale, AZ - I thought I got a pretty great deal.

I'm in the same boat as you - VW doesn't sell the e-Golf here. I need to have my 20K service done, but haven't called the service dept yet to schedule it - not sure what they'll say. I was affected by a recall shortly after buying it and VW had to fly in a tech from California to complete the service. I don't know if that was different because it was a Federal/NHTSA recall and they were obligated.

miimura said:
maxleo17 said:

I think the quote above is entirely reasonable. I doubt they see many Jetta Hybrids or Toureg Hybrids either. As VW starts to introduce more plug-in models, more dealers will become trained to work on the high voltage systems. There is also the rumor that the e-Golf will become a 50 state car, but so far that's all it is - a rumor. If the Atlas is ever released as a plug-in model like the CrossBlue Concept that previewed the Atlas, it would serve to push many more dealer service departments to get trained. There have also been rumors that the Golf GTE plug-in hybrid would be introduced to the US market. It would have a similar effect.

Hello
where did you hear the rumor about the e-golf?

thomas555 said:
where did you hear the rumor about the e-golf?

Here, of course! :lol:

2018 e-Golf to be sold Nationwide in USA

Currently, it does not appear the new 36 kWh battery 2017 model will be sold in all 50 states. Seems more likely there will be a 2018/2019 model that will offer close to 200 mile range that will. Worst case, wait until 2020 when the ID concept hits.

Other than the backup camera intermittently failing, there's been no major problems reported with the 2016 e-Golfs, so I wouldn't be too concerned about not having a local tech. $28.5k for a 2016 SEL is 21% off MSRP and I doubt you can do better than that for a new car. Colorado's rebate for new EVs is quite large if I recall, like $4k? If an EV with 86 mile range suites your needs, go for it.

I think you could find a better deal for sure. Check out this site:

https://www.autolist.com/santa+cruz-ca#latitude=36.9741171&longitude=-122.03079630000002&buyer_intelligence=true&sort_new_cars_last=true&location=Santa+Cruz%2C+CA&sort_filter=mileage%3Aasc&page=1&radius=any&make=Volkswagen&model=e-Golf

Good luck with your search!

Nice Shill based in the Phillipines,

Don't click on that site unless you want a surprise. and not a good one.

One option is to lease one now and then buy it when the lease ends. Generally 30 month lease deals for e-golf SEL go for around 8k total (sunnyvale vw seem to be giving them away for around 7k currently) with a residual of 12-13k.

ronnie10 said:
One option is to lease one now and then buy it when the lease ends. Generally 30 month lease deals for e-golf SEL go for around 8k total (sunnyvale vw seem to be giving them away for around 7k currently) with a residual of 12-13k.
Hmm..I don't recommend this option as the tech is changing yearly. You might not have support for your old battery system.

Or wait till the car goes for resale, then snap it up for less (Currently the Fiat 500e is going for 6-8k used with 30kmiles)

Back