Realistic Highway Mileage 2017 e-golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All,

My 2017 e-golf is coming in 4-5 months and was wondering how much the battery range takes a hit with highway driving?

I have a cottage up north approximately 107km from my house. I would say 90km out of that will be highway driven. If I go 100km/h, what can i expect my e-golf to have remaining on the battery when i arrive at the cottage? Just want to ensure that the battery fully charged (200km) will get me there without holding my breath.

Thanks All.

You will certainly make it 107km on a fully charged battery at 100km/h, in any weather and with any number of passengers + cargo. No worries at all. In ideal conditions you may even be able to make it back on the same charge.

Jericho1531 said:
Hey All,

My 2017 e-golf is coming in 4-5 months and was wondering how much the battery range takes a hit with highway driving?

I have a cottage up north approximately 107km from my house. I would say 90km out of that will be highway driven. If I go 100km/h, what can i expect my e-golf to have remaining on the battery when i arrive at the cottage? Just want to ensure that the battery fully charged (200km) will get me there without holding my breath.

Thanks All.

Post is in Km and cottage is "up north" and you're going to wait 4-5 months for the eGolf. Something tells me you're in the GTA and going to somewhere around Barrie.

Or... Montreal and St-Sauveur.

Does the 2017 have a larger battery than the 2016?

Freeway speeds take a significant toll on the battery and the faster you drive, the more of a hit the range will take (that is, it's not linear). Also, in Jan/Feb the cold temperature will take a considerable chunk out of your range. You'll need to make the trip with a careful plan and watchful eye--I would't take anything for granted.

Yes, the 2017 is the new, refreshed model with the 35.5 kWh battery, resulting in a 125 mile/201 km range (per the EPA/Natural Resources Canada). It’s been on sale in Canada since June; forbin404 reported in another post in the e-Golf News section that Southern California dealers should be getting it around Aug. 22nd, so hopefully the U.S. rollout is finally happening!

bizzle said:
Does the 2017 have a larger battery than the 2016?

Freeway speeds take a significant toll on the battery and the faster you drive, the more of a hit the range will take (that is, it's not linear). Also, in Jan/Feb the cold temperature will take a considerable chunk out of your range. You'll need to make the trip with a careful plan and watchful eye--I would't take anything for granted.

Cottage trips in the winter won't be happening regardless, but your warning holds true.

So i take it in general, it would be smarter to maintain a steady 100km (set it to cruise control) in order to achieve the best highway mileage? Stay away from driving it like an ICE in which you vary between 100-140km depending on how much of a heavy foot you have.

Really it will come down to driving it myself and seeing how much highway driving actually impacts that stated 200km range.

Thanks guys!

The loss in range from going 55 mph to 60 mph is huge. Add in rain, add in windows down, add in changes in elevation, add in running the AC, or running the heater, and they can all really drastically reduce the range of a full recharge on your battery. Much past 40 mph, and the range of the battery plummets something fierce, for each 5 mph faster you drive. I think of it as a city car, but then I have other TDI's for when I need to cover some miles without consideration of range between recharges. 50 to 60 miles one way, is my limit, in me 2015 SEL e-Golf.

Even with Highway driving at 65 mph I've never done worse than 4 mi/kWh which would be 6.5 km/kWh. So with a 35 kW battery that's a range of 227.5 km or 141 miles.

But then again I benefit from mild temperatures. Using the heater or A/C significantly would change that.

johnnylingo said:
Even with Highway driving at 65 mph I've never done worse than 4 mi/kWh which would be 6.5 km/kWh. So with a 35 kW battery that's a range of 227.5 km or 141 miles.

But then again I benefit from mild temperatures. Using the heater or A/C significantly would change that.

Those are good numbers to hear frankly. And for any of these longer distance trips, windows down - no a/c or heat to keep the range up. Long distances in the winter wont be a thing for me.

Good points all around. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Good to hear real world experiences from you folks.

You won't get 141 miles as VW won't let all 35.8 kWh be used, to prevent damage from the battery. I don't think VW will allow more than 85-90% of the battery capacity to be used, so at 4 miles/kWh, that's a range of 122 to 129 miles, so I think the rated range of 125 miles is probably all you get on the highway under mild temperature conditions and at about 60 mph. I bet 160+ miles is possible on local roads with a very light foot and good technique.

johnnylingo said:
Good point. Realistically the usable battery is probably 34 kWh or so
However, it may be as low as 32 or 33kWh. The 24kWh battery is really only about 20-21kWh usable. However, I've never run it down to turtle all in one trip to find out that value, which may be higher.

I suppose the question is it absolute or percentage?

I always assumed absolute; that is, roughly 2 kWh of the battery was reserved to power on the car in cases where the usable battery portion had totally run out.

Just got mine and theoretically doing 270km (220 actual + 50 remaining). At 107 I think you will easily make the round trip in summer. Also remember you've depleted your battery less than half, that means charging it at the cottage to full on 110v will take approx. 12hrs so you should have no issues.

Back