2018 e-Golf to be sold Nationwide in USA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 2020 VW Buddy with extended range looks interesting, but the 60k price tag does not.

I, for one, could be very happy with a 48kWH eGolf with a 150+ mile highway range. But only if those highways are lined with DC chargers no farther than 100 miles apart. This would be a good compromise. 150 miles is more than enough for daily / regional travel. Then with a few DC chargers, I can make my occasional 250-300 mile trips with ease.

So how about that infrastructure VW? I know they are working on something as part of the dieselgate settlement, but when will we know what their plan is? Chargers in CA don't help me - I need to know what's going on in the Northeast.

GetOffYourGas said:
I, for one, could be very happy with a 48kWH eGolf with a 150+ mile highway range. But only if those highways are lined with DC chargers no farther than 100 miles apart. This would be a good compromise. 150 miles is more than enough for daily / regional travel. Then with a few DC chargers, I can make my occasional 250-300 mile trips with ease.

So how about that infrastructure VW? I know they are working on something as part of the dieselgate settlement, but when will we know what their plan is? Chargers in CA don't help me - I need to know what's going on in the Northeast.

I've driven my e-Golf 330 miles in one day, from N Los Angeles County to San Ysidro border of Mexico and back. It was a long day. The seat was uncomfortable as hell in my 2015 SEL, too narrow, and the e-Golf ride too stiff on our lumpy interstates. I'd take the Passat or Touareg next time, in a heart beat, I don't care what the fuel costs, I want my eyeballs and dentures intact when I get to my destination. My point being... extended range on a rough riding e-Golf might not be the benefit it seems on longer drive times. I need some comfort then. For short drives, the e-Golf is fine. For longer time drives, I need a car with a nicer ride than the e-Golf.

JoulesThief said:
GetOffYourGas said:

I've driven my e-Golf 330 miles in one day, from N Los Angeles County to San Ysidro border of Mexico and back. It was a long day. The seat was uncomfortable as hell in my 2015 SEL, too narrow, and the e-Golf ride too stiff on our lumpy interstates. I'd take the Passat or Touareg next time, in a heart beat, I don't care what the fuel costs, I want my eyeballs and dentures intact when I get to my destination. My point being... extended range on a rough riding e-Golf might not be the benefit it seems on longer drive times. I need some comfort then. For short drives, the e-Golf is fine. For longer time drives, I need a car with a nicer ride than the e-Golf.

Valid but entirely subjective. I have driven an S2000 almost 500 miles in a day. Compared to that, the eGolf would be a luxury ride. I like firm, sporty rides. It means that the car will handle well when I want it to. That's one of the reasons I like the eGolf so much in the first place!

GetOffYourGas said:
JoulesThief said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Valid but entirely subjective. I have driven an S2000 almost 500 miles in a day. Compared to that, the eGolf would be a luxury ride. I like firm, sporty rides. It means that the car will handle well when I want it to. That's one of the reasons I like the eGolf so much in the first place!

I've driven from Los Angeles, CA to Durango, CO in a day. I've also driven from Grand Junction, CO to Los Angeles in a day. I don't need a car that handles driving down miles and miles of interstate. Just keep it between the lines and set the cruise control at the stated limit. No need to worry about speeding or getting tickets.

JoulesThief said:
GetOffYourGas said:
JoulesThief said:

I've driven from Los Angeles, CA to Durango, CO in a day. I've also driven from Grand Junction, CO to Los Angeles in a day. I don't need a car that handles driving down miles and miles of interstate. Just keep it between the lines and set the cruise control at the stated limit. No need to worry about speeding or getting tickets.

I'm not sure what your point is. Just because I was driving a sporty car does not mean I was speeding or getting tickets.

FWIW, my longest drive was from Moab, UT to Oklahoma City, OK (unfortunately not in the S2000). I covered over 1000 miles that day. I didn't speed, just took my time and enjoyed the trip. But it sure is nice to have a car that handles well in the curvy mountain passes. I'd rather have the good handling than a soft and cushy ride.

But again, entirely subjective. If you prefer a softer ride, then there are many other options. In the short-range EV market, the Leaf is much softer than the eGolf. In the future, we can hope that VW itself will offer both a sporty and a softer riding vehicle under the I.D. lineup.

GetOffYourGas said:

I currently have both an S2000 and the e-Golf in my garage. By comparison, the e-Golf is in no way "stiff". Actually, i like the seats better in my S2000 than the e-Golf, as long as I keep my head off of the headrest.

Unbeliever said:
I currently have both an S2000 and the e-Golf in my garage.

I'm jealous! I had to sell my S2000 when my first child was born. I just couldn't afford to keep it. I sometimes regret it, becuase the car has not depreciated at all - it's still worth just as much now as I sold it for in 2009!

And I wish I had an eGolf instead of my Leaf. It's just much more enjoyable to drive (not to mention look at :shock: ). I just cannot justify the upgrade until it is considerably better (for me) than the Leaf. That means it has to handle certain trips I take regularly, through a combination of increased range and better infrastructure. The 2018 doesn't get me there, but maybe the rumored 48kWh eGolf + the Dieselgate infrastructure will. Here's to hoping!

JoulesThief said:
When July 1st rolls around, info from VW will probably be released on the new version e-Golf with the 35.8 kwh battery and increased range.
July 1st has come and gone, no news on the e-Golf. I don't believe VW will deliver on the nationwide sale commitment; they may eventually sell some in the ZEV states. The Tesla model3, and more likely the Nissan Leaf will beat VW to the punch and WILL eat their lunch in the EV market. The latest rumor from Nissan is that they'll offer three battery levels for the new 2018-19 Leaf. The top capacity will be 60kwh AND it'll be sold nationwide. If this come to pass, I think VW is in trouble with the e-Golf in the US.

Tony said:
JoulesThief said:
When July 1st rolls around, info from VW will probably be released on the new version e-Golf with the 35.8 kwh battery and increased range.
July 1st has come and gone, no news on the e-Golf. I don't believe VW will deliver on the nationwide sale commitment; they may eventually sell some in the ZEV states. The Tesla model3, and more likely the Nissan Leaf will beat VW to the punch and WILL eat their lunch in the EV market. The latest rumor from Nissan is that they'll offer three battery levels for the new 2018-19 Leaf. The top capacity will be 60kwh AND it'll be sold nationwide. If this come to pass, I think VW is in trouble with the e-Golf in the US.

This situation is inexcusable. I suspect they are prioritizing Ontario because of incentives, but the lack of communication is pathetic.

The press release claimed that the car would be out in Spring. Local dealers told me "definitely June," but they wouldn't know until the cars show up. Then July. And then the reviews have said that the SEL won't even be available at launch. Given that the whole reason to buy an eGolf over the Bolt is the premium interior and SEL features, that seems like a dumb move.

I have never bought a VW before, but was willing to give it a try. This is extremely unimpressive.

Tony said:
JoulesThief said:
Forget about e-Golf at your local dealer nationwide in 2018, don't see how. Nissan will introduce the new Leaf on September 6; there'll be 40kwh batteries, good for 160 mile range (a big disappointment). In the US Nissan is committed to a nationwide presence, but may not be at every dealer (probably at larger city dealers). Regrettably, when I turn-in my TDI next year, it'll be my last VW (my first one was 1966!).

forbin404 said:
I just got a note from my SoCal dealer that the 2017's are arriving in 14 days.
Yep, VW will continue to deal with the e-Golf as a compliance car in the 9 ZEV states; this allows them to sell the rest of their ICE cars in these states.

Tony said:
forbin404 said:
Yep, VW will continue to deal with the e-Golf as a compliance car in the 9 ZEV states; this allows them to sell the rest of their ICE cars in these states.

Does VW have to sell a compliance car in each of the 9 ZEV states, or only where they wish to, based on market conditions? Can they choose to only sell in one or two states, i.e. CA and OR?

wmscott2017 said:
Tony said:
forbin404 said:

Does VW have to sell a compliance car in each of the 9 ZEV states, or only where they wish to, based on market conditions? Can they choose to only sell in one or two states, i.e. CA and OR?
They can pick and chose where to sell their e-Golf; however, in any of these 9 states, if they want to sell ICE cars, they also have to sell a certain number (%) of ZE Vehicles.

2017eGolf said:
Tony said:
JoulesThief said:

This situation is inexcusable. I suspect they are prioritizing Ontario because of incentives, but the lack of communication is pathetic.

I have never bought a VW before, but was willing to give it a try. This is extremely unimpressive.

The press release claimed that the car would be out in Spring. Local dealers told me "definitely June," but they wouldn't know until the cars show up. Then July. And then the reviews have said that the SEL won't even be available at launch. Given that the whole reason to buy an eGolf over the Bolt is the premium interior and SEL features, that seems like a dumb move.

Following the vw escapades from Oregon, we see the exact same b*t. Hadn't heard the SEL might not be released but the reports from Canadian buyers on FB forums indicate they can get it.

I know better than to believe VW speculation or creating pent up demand for a car here in the USA. I'll believe it when I see them on VW's lots, and VW is advertising to move them. But not a moment before. VW is flaky like that, year in and year out.

I just saw a 2017 e-Golf on highway 101 near San Mateo this weekend. The car is at least available in CA. It's possible that the driver is a VW employee, but if so, it indicates that general release is imminent.

I saw the lower rear valence with the fake exhaust pipe channels. I also saw the e-Golf badge and the different rear tail lights.

Back