Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: charging to 90%
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:34 am 

We've had our eGolf for about 16 months/8000 miles. We charge it to 90% using the car-net remote. The last few times we've charged it, it charged to 100% even though the charge is set to 90%. This AM I checked it and it was at 90% and not charging, exactly what it has done all along until recently. Not a big deal but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen to their car.

Post subject: Re: charging to 90%
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:19 pm 

Wish I could help you, but VW only charges up 21.2 kwh out of a 24.2 kwh battery. The point being that even if the gauge shows the battery is fully recharged, it's only been recharged to maybe 92 or 93% of it's true capacity. VW engineers this into every recharge, so that Joe Blow consumer doesn't have to compensate for it, and so that VW will have a battery that lasts the full warranty period. Your "90%" state of charge really leaves the battery at 83 or 84% true state of charge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:17 am 

I have not seen this happen. But it does raise this question: Why does VW allow variable max charging SOC% if "it doesn't matter"? I have seen data suggesting keeping the battery around 50% SOC will extend its life. VW (and other car manufacturers) let us charge to lower limits to help extend the life of the battery. By default, Tesla limits the SOC at "full" charge to less than what is available in Trip mode, so Tesla can extend the life of the battery for the average "Joe" driver.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:30 am 

I can recall no evidence showing what the true percentage "100%" on the gauge relates to in an e-golf. 100% in a Model S has been measured to be a true 100% (4.20V/cell I think). The Roadster was limited to 95% IIRC.

With 20-50 miles per day, I charge to 90% most of the time. 80% in summer. That usually gets me back home at 40-60%, perfect if I'm not driving the car the next day.

Of course, I'm leasing, so some future driver will benefit from my treatment of the battery. I doubt it will make a measurable difference over the course of my lease.

To the original poster, my '15 has never exceeded the limit I set via car-net.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:43 pm 

To the original poster, my '15 has never exceeded the limit I set via car-net.[/quote]

our either until the past week or so???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:50 am 

Rsolaregolf wrote:
We've had our eGolf for about 16 months/8000 miles. We charge it to 90% using the car-net remote. The last few times we've charged it, it charged to 100% even though the charge is set to 90%. This AM I checked it and it was at 90% and not charging, exactly what it has done all along until recently. Not a big deal but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen to their car.
Do you check, when you plug in, that the top button isn't lit, as in this picture? Image

That indicates a delayed charge isn't in effect, possibly from pushing that button. If the bottom button is never lit, even before plugging in, or directly pressing the button, there is no delayed charge programmed into the car, from car-net.

Also, your carnet settings are, 90% minimum battery, and 90% or less for the maximum battery setting in the battery profile used for the enabled schedule, correct?

Last edited by jack8trades on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:21 am 

jack8trades wrote:
Rsolaregolf wrote:
Do you check, when you plug in, that the top button isn't lit, as in this picture?:

Also, your carnet settings are, 90% minimum battery, and 90% or less for the maximum battery setting in the battery profile used for the enabled schedule, correct?

90% Min turns off the delayed charging for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:44 am 

forbin404 wrote:
jack8trades wrote:
Rsolaregolf wrote:
Do you check, when you plug in, that the top button isn't lit, as in this picture?:

90% Min turns off the delayed charging for the most part.
I don't care about delayed charging, only limiting to 90%

There's no indication here that the OP cares about delayed charging either, but it's a valid concern. If so, the minimum battery should be set to a lower percentage.

Mostly, since the OP's settings worked for so long, I'd pay attention to those button lights.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:19 am 

All delayed charging is off and the normal green charging light is on. We don't use delayed charging as we get our power from out solar tracking array or off the grid at night, no price differential from our electric coop.

I called carnet and they are looking into this for me. I'll post what they tell me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:55 am 

So carnet called yesterday and said that the reason it's charging to 100% might be that I have the timers shutoff. Unless they recently changed parameters, that wouldn't account for the fact it used to work OK with the timers off. They told me to turn on timer 1 and see what happens. (sounds like they may be guessing) As the battery is presently at 100% it will have to wait until we drive it somewhere which might be a few days, I'll report my findings.