Fully Charged, Range Only 36 Miles. What Is Going On?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GLX

I took the e-Golf to the VW/AUDI Deliverance 2017 track day, that's what! It was awesome. Car understeers a bit a and those low resistance tires were screaming pretty much anytime they weren't straight.

I will try to link some pictures and videos from my Facebook or Youtube if I can. Facebook post link: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154828053917546&id=555157545

YOUTUBE: https://youtu.be/crTV3iJ34hg

Everyone there got a kick out of it. The track, Dominion Raceway was about 160 miles from the house so I had to charge 3 times enroute and twice on the way home. Extra charge on the way there was because the track told me over the phone that they didn't have outlets. I wanted to arrive with the most charge possible. There was a level 2, 30 amp charger 1/2 mile away and a Greenlots DCFC station 27 miles away if I needed it. Fortunately, the track did have a 220V, 14-50 NEMA, 50 amp outlet for hooking up race trailers that I used with my 32 AMP home charger between sessions. Most sessions had at least a 2 hour break so I was able to start most sessions with a full charge. Avg m/kwh during sessions was around 1.5, the transit to/from was 4.4 m/kwh. Blew around 60% of the state of charge during the 20 minute sessions. So, obviously 1.5 m/kwh only have me a 36 mile range after the last full charge prior to leaving the track.

Why? : My normal road course/track car (04 R32 twin turbo) is down for service and I love this event and thought it would be different with the e-Golf.

95GLX said:
I took the e-Golf to the VW/AUDI Deliverance 2017 track day, that's what! It was awesome. Car understeers a bit a and those low resistance tires were screaming pretty much anytime they weren't straight.

I will try to link some pictures and videos from my Facebook or Youtube if I can. Facebook post link: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154828053917546&id=555157545

Everyone there got a kick out of it. The track, Dominion Raceway was about 160 miles from the house so I had to charge 3 times enroute and twice on the way home. Extra charge on the way there was because the track told me over the phone that they didn't have outlets. I wanted to arrive with the most charge possible. There was a level 2, 30 amp charger 1/2 mile away and a Greenlots DCFC station 27 miles away if I needed it. Fortunately, the track did have a 220V, 14-50 NEMA, 50 amp outlet for hooking up race trailers that I used with my 32 AMP home charger between sessions. Most sessions had at least a 2 hour break so I was able to start most sessions with a full charge. Avg m/kwh during sessions was around 1.5, the transit to/from was 4.4 m/kwh. Blew around 60% of the state of charge during the 20 minute sessions. So, obviously 1.5 m/kwh only have me a 36 mile range after the last full charge prior to leaving the track.

Why? : My normal road course/track car (04 R32 twin turbo) is down for service and I love this event and thought it would be different with the e-Golf.
Driving Over 60 MPh does increase the drain greatly. You said you were tracking it, so you were most likely driving around 80+ all the time. At a constant of 80, you are looking at a 2 m/kwh kind of average and that will show up on the 'range-o-meter' as around 40 mile range.

The range o meter assumes your last use of the car is your avg speed and compensates accordingly. That doesn't mean when you leave you will get that 36 range, but if you keep driving at 80+ that's what you will get.

[/quote]
Driving Over 60 MPh does increase the drain greatly. You said you were tracking it, so you were most likely driving around 80+ all the time. At a constant of 80, you are looking at a 2 m/kwh kind of average and that will show up on the 'range-o-meter' as around 40 mile range.

The range o meter assumes your last use of the car is your avg speed and compensates accordingly. That doesn't mean when you leave you will get that 36 range, but if you keep driving at 80+ that's what you will get.[/quote]

Did you read the entire post? The title was more satire then an actual question.

Also, did the link work for anyone so you can view the video/pictures?

I thought it was satire, but I answered that way on purpose anyhow in case someone else saw the title.
This board gets the oddest questions.

And yes the link works.

Back