e-Golf. Will it family? 4up or 5up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourties

Have a 2015 Passat, thinking about an eGolf if I don't keep it longer.

We ride 4 up everyday. Occasionally 5 up. Passat is good for this, its the reason I got it.. will I regret switching up to an eGolf?? Looking to hear from folks who run 4 or 5up in an eGolf. I am planning to take my peeps down for a test fit and test drive, but long term real world experience is something else. And I want it. If you got it. The rate the kids are growing, a 2017 test fit isn't going to mean much come 2018 anyhow..

Oh, and any reports on city range reduction driving 5up versus alone? Appreciate any advice!

fourties said:

We ride 4 up everyday. Occasionally 5 up. Passat is good for this, its the reason I got it.. will I regret switching up to an eGolf?? Looking to hear from folks who run 4 or 5up in an eGolf. I am planning to take my peeps down for a test fit and test drive, but long term real world experience is something else. And I want it. If you got it. The rate the kids are growing, a 2017 test fit isn't going to mean much come 2018 anyhow..

Oh, and any reports on city range reduction driving 5up versus alone? Appreciate any advice!
Doesn't really fit 5 comfortably.

the A/C doesn't really work well in the back.

It will depend on how large the 5 people are, particularly the people who will end up in the back seat. 3 young children (but not in car seats) will be more comfortable in the back than 3 tall and wide adults.

Another issue is if a tall person is going to sit directly behind a tall person in front, particularly the driver who for safety reasons has to adjust his seat for best fit to the controls. Go to this video and skip to 16:22 to see what room you have (or don't have) in the back seat for a tall person who has to sit behind another tall person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOgX_TWRM4&t=2166s This is for the updated 2017/2018 model but the interior dimensions won't change from the earlier Mk 7 Golfs. Also keep in mind while the German tester didn't seem to mind, Americans have a different view on what is considered "roomy."

So am I safe in assuming it is the center rear seat that is the main problem?? Eldest is growing as a weed does, already at 5'7", 2nd is only 2 years behind.. 3rd still has some years left at pint size.

I'm in south bay socal so the weather wont be too hard on the climate controls. Point taken though, appreciate the tip. I will try to test drive one on a hot sunny day.

Also considering a Bolt or Volt. Be nice to have the range of the Volt.. although I always have a gas car or two I can borrow for that type of use. So its not critical for me.

Bolt is an even narrower car than the eGolf. Volt is wider but the center rear seat is useless except for a child young enough to fit in a car seat, or a person with no legs, as the center tunnel intrudes on leg space. The 1st gen Volt didn't even have a rear center seating position for this very reason. Volt is also difficult to get in/out of rear seat for anybody over about 5 foot tall due to the way the roofline steeply rakes downward towards the rear.

The e-Golf has headroom and legroom for four tall adults - the rear is much better than it would first appear. The Bolt EV is much better. But as mentioned, the Bolt EV is a bit narrower, so the hip / shoulder room may be the limiting factor when you have 5 people. Center backseat is always for the smallest / slimmest person. Foot room in center is better on the Bolt EV (it is flat). I don't know if there is a center headrest in the Bolt EV?

For my family, the entry / exit of the Bolt EV is much better. Especially, in the front with the flush door sills.

Normally I'm the only rider but occasionally I fit five. Two adults up front, three kids in the back...of those three, one rides on a Recaro 5 point booster seat combo.

fourties said:
So am I safe in assuming it is the center rear seat that is the main problem?? Eldest is growing as a weed does, already at 5'7", 2nd is only 2 years behind.. 3rd still has some years left at pint size.

I'm in south bay socal so the weather wont be too hard on the climate controls. Point taken though, appreciate the tip. I will try to test drive one on a hot sunny day.

Also considering a Bolt or Volt. Be nice to have the range of the Volt.. although I always have a gas car or two I can borrow for that type of use. So its not critical for me.

I think you will find the Volt is not nearly as nice as the Bolt for 5. They built the Volt for 4 only. I don't know about comfort in the back, the front seats of the Bolt kind of suck.
Testing is definitely in order.

Going here
https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=401677627&veh2=401597170&veh3=401612496&veh4=200707599|hatchback&show=0&comparatorId=8744622

Volt Vs Egolf Vs Bolt
Front Headroom - Bolt
Front Legroom - Volt
Front Shoulder Room - Volt
Rear Headroom - eGolf
Rear Legroom - Bolt
Rear Shoulder Room - eGolf (This applies to OP's question of sitting 3 people)
Cargo - eGolf

HOWEVER , when you add the Kia Soul EV
https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=401677627&veh2=401597170&veh3=200707599|hatchback&veh4=200746130|wagon&show=0&comparatorId=8744622

Front Headroom - Bolt
Front Legroom - Volt
Front Shoulder Room - SoulEV
Rear Headroom - SoulEV
Rear Legroom - Bolt
Rear Shoulder Room - SoulEV (This applies to OP's question of sitting 3 people)
Cargo - eGolf

So I think that if OP is looking for 3 people in the back, he might want the Kia Soul EV instead.

forbin404 said:
fourties said:

Doesn't really fit 5 comfortably.

Not sure you can compare the AC in a 2016 to a 2017, different technology. My 2017 blows colder than my previous ICE car.

Norm01 said:
forbin404 said:
fourties said:
Have a 2015 Passat, thinking about an eGolf if I don't keep it ....

Not sure you can compare the AC in a 2016 to a 2017, different technology. My 2017 blows colder than my previous ICE car.

So, I'm curious what the technology change is in the AC between 2016 and 2017.

OregonvwFarmer said:
forbin404 said:
So, I'm curious what the technology change is in the AC between 2016 and 2017.
I doubt there is any change to the climate control between 2016 and 2017. I'm assuming the Canadian cars all have the heat pump like the US SEL.

I can't trust that list comparing the Volt to the Golf.

The front seats were uncomfortable and the rear was useless for adults compared to our eGolf.
I haven't seen a Bolt yet.

I want to test a Bolt and a Kia Niro EV or PHEV.

I have a family of 5 and we can fit 3 car seats across the back. 2 Diono Monterry seats on the outside and an infant rear facing in the middle. Kids never complained about the a/c.

bizzle said:

The front seats were uncomfortable and the rear was useless for adults compared to our eGolf.

Didn't my list say the Golf was best for the back over a volt?

forbin404 said:
bizzle said:

Didn't my list say the Golf was best for the back over a volt?

I've sat in the back of a Volt. Despite being a 4 door, it's as difficult to access the back seat as a 2 door car, thanks to the super low roofline.

Back