Was it a good deal/lease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rryuen

Hello Glad to see such a great community of people willing to help one another. I live in the bay area and recently started a lease that I got from VW Richmond, CA. It is a new 2016 White e-golf SE. Originally the car was $1300 down and $130/month + tax, however since the car had some paint scratched off because of shipping, I was able to get it down to $120/month with taxes. After reading some other lease post people put on here. I was wondering did I get a good deal?

Not sure about details of your terms, but I just bought a SE without quick charge from the same dealership for $19,100 last week. After all the rebate I am able to get the car for $11,500 out of the door. They even allowed us to pick our color.

Someone post this deal at Sunnyvale VW:

Sunnyvale VW (SE with quick charge)
$2900 downpayment (taxes, fees included)
48+tax/month
eGolf SE with Quick Charge
24 month lease (this does not qualify for $2500 rebate)

Serramonte had the exact same terms, but only on SE without quick charge. They wanted $500 more for quick charge.
Best of luck

Wow Kitkit what a small world. Yeah the car is amazing but I believe for our down payment when we paid $1,300, they also added in the VW rebate of $7,500 onto it making the supposed down payment of only $8,800. This was the only one on the lot so we weren't able to choose the color but I'm happy with the White one that we got. Im not sure if it came with the quick charging. Is there a way to tell?

rryuen said:
Wow Kitkit what a small world. Yeah the car is amazing but I believe for our down payment when we paid $1,300, they also added in the VW rebate of $7,500 onto it making the supposed down payment of only $8,800. This was the only one on the lot so we weren't able to choose the color but I'm happy with the White one that we got. Im not sure if it came with the quick charging. Is there a way to tell?
Quick charging level 3 port port is 2 big pins on bottom. 5 hole receptacle on top in use only, is level 2 charging or level 1 charging. Level 3 recharging is expensive per kWh, you'll know it by the billing rate for the 20 minute convenience and expense of it.

e-golf-la-2014-charge-port.jpg

Your white e-golf has a quick charge and that's the only e-golf left in the lot. In fact, the salesperson was showing me your car as he was demonstrating some function. I was able to choose my color because the salesperson obtained it from another dealership.

For lease, VW offers $7,500 rebate; for purchase, VW offers $6,000. Dealerships want these 16 models out as they want to start selling 17 models that have better range (124 miles). Anyhow, I think we got a pretty good deal and I am very happy with the car so far.

rryuen said:

So basically you got an SE for $120/month for 36 months? For $4320 for the lease period? That's very nice

forbin404 said:
So basically you got an SE for $120/month for 36 months? For $4320 for the lease period? That's very nice

Yeah I was able to get that price for 35 months since the $1,300 down payment is including first months. The thing is that after the 3 years, the total is $5,500, however hearing from other EV owners there's a way to get up to $5,000 back from the government and electric companies? I still have to look into it but hopefully, if that plays out, I am getting the car for about $500 for three years.

kitkit said:
Your white e-golf has a quick charge and that's the only e-golf left in the lot. In fact, the salesperson was showing me your car as he was demonstrating some function. I was able to choose my color because the salesperson obtained it from another dealership.

For lease, VW offers $7,500 rebate; for purchase, VW offers $6,000. Dealerships want these 16 models out as they want to start selling 17 models that have better range (124 miles). Anyhow, I think we got a pretty good deal and I am very happy with the car so far.

The thing is that I charged the car for the first time a couple days ago with about 25 Miles left and it took about 16 hours for it to fully charge back up. I wanted to see my options as to how I would be charging faster and charging level 2 as well as seeing if the car has the capability to do so.

rryuen said:
forbin404 said:

Yeah I was able to get that price for 35 months since the $1,300 down payment is including first months. The thing is that after the 3 years, the total is $5,500, however hearing from other EV owners there's a way to get up to $5,000 back from the government and electric companies? I still have to look into it but hopefully, if that plays out, I am getting the car for about $500 for three years.

kitkit said:

The thing is that I charged the car for the first time a couple days ago with about 25 Miles left and it took about 16 hours for it to fully charge back up. I wanted to see my options as to how I would be charging faster and charging level 2 as well as seeing if the car has the capability to do so.

The car has the capability, if it has the 7.2kWh charger option, to charge off of a residential 240V 14-50 NEMA outlet with a 240V 30 amp capable EVSE box. How you get the 240V outlet, and dedicated circuit to your garage and the attendant EVSE box and cable, is another matter. $1000 to $1500 about to set your home up with the dedicated circuit in the garage, and the EVSE box that's level 2 30 or 40 amp capable.

The thing is that I believe that I have the 7.2kWh charger option. I was looking into the chargers and I found this one to be reliable and fairly cheap https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-20-lcs-20p-16-amp-level-2-ev-charging-station?search=lcs-20. Im not too sure how to upload the picture of the car sticker however its a little confusing in a sense that it says it has a 3.6kw Onboard charger W/ Receptacle however it says under the packages/options that I got the DC fast charging package $1,600. So that means that I can have the level 2 charging capability correct?

All EV is capable for Level 2 charging. Your SE with quick charge is capable for Level 2 and Level 3 charging. It has a 7.2 kw onboard. Level 3 charging is only available in public and it takes about 30 mins to charge your battery to 80% capacity.

Not sure about the quality of clippercreek L2 charger. Before you buy a Level 2 home charger, consult a certified electrician to make sure you have the necessary outlet/circuit breaker. Here is a useful article:

http://www.plugincars.com/quick-guide-buying-your-first-home-ev-charger-126875.html

rryuen said:
The thing is that I believe that I have the 7.2kWh charger option. I was looking into the chargers and I found this one to be reliable and fairly cheap https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-20-lcs-20p-16-amp-level-2-ev-charging-station?search=lcs-20. Im not too sure how to upload the picture of the car sticker however its a little confusing in a sense that it says it has a 3.6kw Onboard charger W/ Receptacle however it says under the packages/options that I got the DC fast charging package $1,600. So that means that I can have the level 2 charging capability correct?

rryuen said:

Read this a few times, to help clarify things. If you want a fully charged car in 3 hours, 240V and a 40 amp circuit minimum are required. If you go with a plug in EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 outlet, a 50 amp breaker is required, and probably 6 gauge wire, minimum, for the wiring.

http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=717

You want at least a 30 amp capable EVSE, minimum, if you are going to wire your residence for a EVSE to recharge at home. If you foresee more electric cars in your future, you should perhaps instead look at a 40 amp capable EVSE unit instead, to future proof your recharging system.

Easiest thing to do is just have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage or outlet area. Always 40 amp EVSE ready, max allowed on a continuous use product like an EVSE unit that draws high levels of current, constantly, to recharge your car battery. There's a tremendous amount of electrical energy stored in that battery, that has to get in and out of the battery to recharge it and to drive on it.

rryuen said:
You have Level 1 and Level 2, that's standard.

DCFC (loosely termed as Level 3) only came on Newer Golf SE's (Mine doesn't have it nor was it offered)
If you look at your sticker, under 'accessories or additions' it says they added a 7.2 charger with the DCFC

Another easy test is charge at an L2 and lock the doors. The 7.2 kW chargers have a locking pin, 3.6 kW do not and the plug can be removed at any time.

Agree that when investing in a home charger, it's best to go at least 30a for future proofing. This is why I have a 32a charger even though my SE's 3.6 kW charger only pulls 16. Electricians aren't cheap.

rryuen said:
Hello Glad to see such a great community of people willing to help one another. I live in the bay area and recently started a lease that I got from VW Richmond, CA. It is a new 2016 White e-golf SE. Originally the car was $1300 down and $130/month + tax, however since the car had some paint scratched off because of shipping, I was able to get it down to $120/month with taxes. After reading some other lease post people put on here. I was wondering did I get a good deal?

Would you mind sharing who your contact was at richmond vw?

johnnylingo said:
Another easy test is charge at an L2 and lock the doors. The 7.2 kW chargers have a locking pin, 3.6 kW do not and the plug can be removed at any time.

Agree that when investing in a home charger, it's best to go at least 30a for future proofing. This is why I have a 32a charger even though my SE's 3.6 kW charger only pulls 16. Electricians aren't cheap.
An even easier test is to look at the bottom of the charging port and seeing if you have the 2 large round ports for DCFC.

Back