Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Was it a good deal/lease?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:30 pm 

rryuen wrote:
The thing is that I believe that I have the 7.2kWh charger option. I was looking into the chargers and I found this one to be reliable and fairly cheap https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-20-l ... rch=lcs-20. Im not too sure how to upload the picture of the car sticker however its a little confusing in a sense that it says it has a 3.6kw Onboard charger W/ Receptacle however it says under the packages/options that I got the DC fast charging package $1,600. So that means that I can have the level 2 charging capability correct?

Read this a few times, to help clarify things. If you want a fully charged car in 3 hours, 240V and a 40 amp circuit minimum are required. If you go with a plug in EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 outlet, a 50 amp breaker is required, and probably 6 gauge wire, minimum, for the wiring.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=717

You want at least a 30 amp capable EVSE, minimum, if you are going to wire your residence for a EVSE to recharge at home. If you foresee more electric cars in your future, you should perhaps instead look at a 40 amp capable EVSE unit instead, to future proof your recharging system.

Easiest thing to do is just have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage or outlet area. Always 40 amp EVSE ready, max allowed on a continuous use product like an EVSE unit that draws high levels of current, constantly, to recharge your car battery. There's a tremendous amount of electrical energy stored in that battery, that has to get in and out of the battery to recharge it and to drive on it.

Last edited by JoulesThief on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:36 am 

rryuen wrote:
The thing is that I believe that I have the 7.2kWh charger option. I was looking into the chargers and I found this one to be reliable and fairly cheap https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-20-l ... rch=lcs-20. Im not too sure how to upload the picture of the car sticker however its a little confusing in a sense that it says it has a 3.6kw Onboard charger W/ Receptacle however it says under the packages/options that I got the DC fast charging package $1,600. So that means that I can have the level 2 charging capability correct?

You have Level 1 and Level 2, that's standard.

DCFC (loosely termed as Level 3) only came on Newer Golf SE's (Mine doesn't have it nor was it offered)
If you look at your sticker, under 'accessories or additions' it says they added a 7.2 charger with the DCFC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:28 pm 

Another easy test is charge at an L2 and lock the doors. The 7.2 kW chargers have a locking pin, 3.6 kW do not and the plug can be removed at any time.

Agree that when investing in a home charger, it's best to go at least 30a for future proofing. This is why I have a 32a charger even though my SE's 3.6 kW charger only pulls 16. Electricians aren't cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:26 pm 

rryuen wrote:
Hello Glad to see such a great community of people willing to help one another. I live in the bay area and recently started a lease that I got from VW Richmond, CA. It is a new 2016 White e-golf SE. Originally the car was $1300 down and $130/month + tax, however since the car had some paint scratched off because of shipping, I was able to get it down to $120/month with taxes. After reading some other lease post people put on here. I was wondering did I get a good deal?

Would you mind sharing who your contact was at richmond vw?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:19 pm 

johnnylingo wrote:
Another easy test is charge at an L2 and lock the doors. The 7.2 kW chargers have a locking pin, 3.6 kW do not and the plug can be removed at any time.

Agree that when investing in a home charger, it's best to go at least 30a for future proofing. This is why I have a 32a charger even though my SE's 3.6 kW charger only pulls 16. Electricians aren't cheap.

An even easier test is to look at the bottom of the charging port and seeing if you have the 2 large round ports for DCFC.