2018 e-Golf to be sold Nationwide in USA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
f1geek said:
Capital is down to 5. Sunnyvale is down to 2. Stevens Creek has 29. We should be seeing 2017 pricing this week or next week. The new Leaf was announced and it has a 40 kWh battery with 150 miles of range. If it costs the same (or less) than the e-Golf, VW will have pressure to drop prices as it has a quota to meet in California and other CARB - following states.

Starting price for the 2018 Leaf is $29,990 before incentives. Assume ~$900 for destination. It's a base model without a CHAdeMO, but a 6.6kW on board charger and it's priced extremely competitively. The 2017 E-Golf has a tough job ahead.

I really wish VW would put a 40 amp 240V 9.6 or 10 KWh charger on board the 2018 e-Golf. Like a Model 3 or Toyota RAv EV. It just seems to be the smart thing to do, future proof wise.

The 220 mile Model 3 has a 32 Amp on board charger that runs at 7.7 kW (charge rate is in kW, battery capacity is in kWh). Only the $9000 more expensive 310 mile Model 3 gets the 40 Amp, 9.6 kW charger.

It is also possible that the delay in VW releasing pricing for the e-Golf is related to the Nissan Leaf reveal yesterday - a smart move on their part if they want to price the car correctly. VW is behind on range and we can only hope that there is an appreciable price drop to compensate for the smaller driving range for the 2017 e-Golf as compared to the 2018 Leaf.

JoulesThief said:
I really wish VW would put a 40 amp 240V 9.6 or 10 KWh charger on board the 2018 e-Golf. Like a Model 3 or Toyota RAv EV. It just seems to be the smart thing to do, future proof wise.

10 kW chargers don't seem practical unless the battery is over 50 kWh. A 7.2 kW will charge anything under that in less than 8 hours, to match the EV rate plans from most utility companies.

As for 40 or 50 amp L2 stations I don't see them catching on. DC fast charging makes a lot more sense when you need speed.

johnnylingo said:
JoulesThief said:

10 kW chargers don't seem practical unless the battery is over 50 kWh. A 7.2 kW will charge anything under that in less than 8 hours, to match the EV rate plans from most utility companies.

As for 40 or 50 amp L2 stations I don't see them catching on. DC fast charging makes a lot more sense when you need speed.

The RAV EV and MB e-250 are both Tesla based power plants, have 40 kw batteries, and have 10 kwh chargers on board. Seems Tesla is the only smart one about it. That's still a 3 to 4 hour charge time window with Level 2, which is what my expectations are for charging time on an electric car. I don't think manufacturers need be concerned about electricity rates, they are not in the business of selling electricity. There are other options, solar panel charging during the day makes sense, and has nothing to do with utilities plans or what anyone charges for electricity at any time of day. Get off the grid, and it's a non issue. I am solely interested in a practical filling or recharging rate. When I need a battery charged, within reason and without paying a Quick Charge premium, I want it done fairly quickly, 3 hours tops on 240V, what ever current it takes to do so. LADWP doesn't offer me any off peak rates for my electricity. So it's a non issue, time of day that I can or will recharge at home.

Anyone know approximately when the new 2017/2018 e-Golf will be sold? Why is it taking so long?

tacet22 said:
Anyone know approximately when the new 2017/2018 e-Golf will be sold? Why is it taking so long?
Go down to numerous VW dealerships in the USA and see how many remaining 2016's are still for sale. There's your answer. Got to move almost all the 2016's before the 2017's will be released to market.

There are 53 units still available across the US, most of which are in CA. I even saw two 2015's in NJ. Ha! I'm hoping that at least new pricing will be announced this week, with actual vehicles on the ground by October 1.

f1geek said:
There are 53 units still available across the US, most of which are in CA. I even saw two 2015's in NJ. Ha! I'm hoping that at least new pricing will be announced this week, with actual vehicles on the ground by October 1.

Do you think that Cars.com lists all 2016 e-Golfs still for sale, nationwide? That's not a correct number of 2016's still available for sale.

tacet22 said:

sunnyvalevw.com has removed all e-golf from their online inventory. It seems that they will sell 2017 e-Golf soon.

As of the end of the day on Sunday, cars.com is showing 48 new e-Golfs in inventory—only three remain in Southern California, at the Santa Monica dealership. Stevens Creek in San Jose seems to have the lion’s share in the Bay Area, with 24 in stock. Let’s hope the remaining get sold soon. (I wondered as well about those two forlorn new 2015s at the Mercedes dealership in New Jersey; you wonder how well they’re being taken care of, battery-wise, if they’ve been on a lot for two years. I’d shy away from that...)

47 now...looks like one sold on Sunday.

And Stevensons Creek is the only one with SEL's (That isn't in NJ)

And just for fun I went to VW's main site, put in Stevenson's Creek VW Zip Code 95129 and VW said ZERO in stock.
I went to Stevenson's Website and it says 24 in stock.

I went back to Cars.com and it says Stevenson's has 24.

So I will continue to use Cars.com as an accurate source of information on stock as the main site VW.com doesn't work.

The best thing VW could do is to allow charging in three-phases current. It will reduce timing down to 4 hours. All competitors do offer this mode.This is the only "black point" I underline with this car. Extending range will make the car more expensive and add tremendous weight that could jeopardize stability.
Today, 31.000 km, charging cost average : 100km/ 4 euros

Only two sold in Waterloo region since 2014 !!

http://www.volkswagensantamonica.com/new-volkswagen-santa-monica-ca?_gmod%5B0%5D=Dfe_Modules_VehiclePrice_Module&_gmod%5B1%5D=Dfe_Modules_CustomizePayment_Module&direction=asc&t=n&make[]=Volkswagen&model[]=e-Golf&sf=sf_model,sf_trim

2017 has arrived.

Mossy VW in San Diego has 6...might be on the truck as they don't have pictures.

only one so far in SD

Back up to 40!

Since 5 of them are the new 2017's looks like 2 more 2016's are sold. (And mossy isn't on Cars.com)

Time for a firesale on the 2016's since the 2017 has finally arrived.

Still vw.com still shows the 2016 model and still shows no stock near me.

Interesting—I was not aware that some dealers just don't report to cars.com. I wondered how that site gets its statistics.

I’m amused that of the two California dealers that show up as having 2017s in stock on cars.com tonight (Capitol in San Jose and Roseville in, well, Roseville), the models are all listed as the Comfortline trim—which is what Canadian e-Golfs come in (VWoA doesn't use Comfortline or other -line designations like they do in Canada or Europe). In fact, you can clearly see a price difference in the so-called “Comfortline” models that shows that one in each location is clearly an SE and the other is an SEL. The dealer in Medford, Ore., correctly lists their 2017 in stock as an SE, however.

Back