Flo x5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babakp

Hi folks.. I decided to go with Toronto dealer recommendation and get the flo with wifi.
This is my first EV after long procrastination which landed me on the e-Golf.

Here are some initial observations;

- dealer knowledge on charger unit minimal
- called flo customre support and although very professional and eager to help (ditto with midtown VW staff), also not completely knowledgeable. He didn't even know what a power line network interface is (which comes with flo x5)
- appropo power line, is this the best they could come up for wifi? Are there other charger units with straight forward wifi built in?
- did I make the right decision with Flo?
- there is no screen interface and/or detailed views of what the app looks like, how it functions/is designed. I feel like I'm going into this completely blind!! There are a couple of flo videos that just show how to install the wall unit!!
- as for vw app in Canada.. granted even the BMW app leaves much to be desired in design and functionality but at least there is information on it... for the life of me I couldn't find any details of what the original manufacturer app for the e-golf looks like and how it functions!!
- even car net web site is vague at best !!
- checked out the chargepoint app which hasn't been updated for a long time, didn't even have the 2017 e-golf on its database...
- best user experience so far has been with the PlugShare app..

Keeping fingers crossed taking delivery tomorrow...

Tips/suggestions from veteran owners appreciated

I was under the impression that there is no app nor CarNet in Canada.

If you're not satisfied with the Flo EVSE, I believe the ChargePoint Home unit is available in Canada and has proper WiFi connectivity. The communication is also compatible with the e-Golf so it can properly charge it after the e-Golf goes to sleep.

I went with the flo X5 as it is from a local company in Quebec City. IMO, the unit is very solid, but the software is still young and has place for improvement.

Communication with the router/Internet is done through Power Line Communication, not WiFi. This should be a zero-configuration setup. You plug the PLC module into a wall outlet then the charging station will find it.

I had to deal with the flo technical support and the two support people I spoke to seemed knowledgeable enough of the product configuration. I had very specific questions they had to forward to the support director/R&D though. Their turnaround was very good in my experience.

WildChild said:
I went with the flo X5 as it is from a local company in Quebec City. IMO, the unit is very solid, but the software is still young and has place for improvement.

Communication with the router/Internet is done through Power Line Communication, not WiFi. This should be a zero-configuration setup. You plug the PLC module into a wall outlet then the charging station will find it.

I had to deal with the flo technical support and the two support people I spoke to seemed knowledgeable enough of the product configuration. I had very specific questions they had to forward to the support director/R&D though. Their turnaround was very good in my experience.

Thanks for feedback.

I too went with Flo primarily to support Canadian manufacturer and it seems like a solid product anyway. On paper the ChargePoint with wifi and 32amp seems to have an edge but I am beginning to understand the wisdom of using power line. Most garages don't have the best wifi reception and the power line is like having a wired connection to your internet (or at least the next best option).

My Flo hasn't arrived yet but I anticipate some complications because powerline adaptors have to be plugged into a direct socket, not to extensions or splitters and where I have my router, I don't have free direct plugs into my wiring!! I will probably have to install a separate plug right out of the fuse box.

Back