Does your golf creep or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deschodt

Something puzzling about my car:
When stopped in Drive - generally D2 or D3, and letting off the brakes, I find that the car sometimes will creep forward like an automatic. Sometimes though, it stay put and does not creep at all. I much prefer that behavior - no creep. Any idea why this is inconsistent? Could be a slight degree of slope on the ground but I generally don't get out to measure the road and check it's totally level :)
Just wondering if there's an explanation..

Deschodt said:
Something puzzling about my car:
When stopped in Drive - generally D2 or D3, and letting off the brakes, I find that the car sometimes will creep forward like an automatic. Sometimes though, it stay put and does not creep at all. I much prefer that behavior - no creep. Any idea why this is inconsistent? Could be a slight degree of slope on the ground but I generally don't get out to measure the road and check it's totally level :)
Just wondering if there's an explanation..

Touch the brakes in a D mode and it freewheels /disengages. If you come to a complete stop without touching the throttle, it will deadstick and stay in coast/freewheel mode. The moment you touch the accelerator again, it engages in "drive" mode again, and will creep.

Keep your foot off the accelerator once you start braking, come to a complete stop and wait. Don't touch the throttle again, until you are ready to start creeping and moving forward. Alternately, shift the car into neutral once at a dead stop, place in drive when you are ready to move forward again.

Creep turns off once the car exceeds 6.2 mph (10 km/h) and stays off until the accelerator is touched while under that speed.

Ah, thank you both, that makes sense now... When I'm slowing to stop for a red light it would go into no-creep mode and stay in it (since I'm not touching the gas obviously). But if I'm in stop and go traffic it would not fulfill the no-creep conditions, and therefore creep. I was wondering - makes sense now... Kinda wish I could set it to no creep all the time, but good enough.

Deschodt said:
Ah, thank you both, that makes sense now... When I'm slowing to stop for a red light it would go into no-creep mode and stay in it (since I'm not touching the gas obviously). But if I'm in stop and go traffic it would not fulfill the no-creep conditions, and therefore creep. I was wondering - makes sense now... Kinda wish I could set it to no creep all the time, but good enough.

Try D1 mode, instead of D mode. One press of the shifter to the left in heavy traffic.

What I noticed on mine is that the moment I come to a complete stop, and release the brakes without touching the throttle, the car will keep them engaged for a few seconds after which, if there's an incline it either stays put (the creep can't overcome the hill) or it slightly goes forward barely after which it stops completely. But that moment when it disengages the brakes is very noticeable.

Back