"Recuperation Mode 3" or Drive Mode "B" and other issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeep

I have a few niggles I want feedback on:
1. Sometimes in "Recuperation Mode 3" or drive mode "B" the car does not do full regenerative braking, I know this because when it is working properly and I let go of the accelerator the car starts to slow down and the Miles/kWh indicator goes up, however when it is not working the car coasts and battery regen indicator does not go all the way to the green. Anyone else see a similar issue?

2. The charging and departure time especially with charging at specific time as per my Electric Plan does not seem to be working properly. How do I delete charge times and locations?

Thanks

1) As I said in the other thread, if you are fully charged the regen braking won't really kick in until you are two lines down on the range-o-meter.

2) You can go on Carnet.vw.com and change it there.

forbin404 said:
1) As I said in the other thread, if you are fully charged the regen braking won't really kick in until you are two lines down on the range-o-meter.

2) You can go on Carnet.vw.com and change it there.

Thanks forbin404, that would explain the issue.

#1 is another reason to avoid 100% charges unless the full range is required for a road trip. It's explained in detail in the manual. Another reason is battery health. Charge to 70-80% on an ongoing basis.

egolf2017toronto said:
#1 is another reason to avoid 100% charges unless the full range is required for a road trip. It's explained in detail in the manual. Another reason is battery health. Charge to 70-80% on an ongoing basis.e

The battery in the e-Golf, to get 10 years of life out of it, falsely leaves you to believe that a full charge is a 100% State of charge. It's not, it's probably 90 to 91% State of charge, to add longevity to the life of the battery. A 24.2 Kwh battery really only is recharged to have about 21 to 21.2 useable kWh of it's 24.2 kWh rated capacity. It's never fully recharged, ever. Those same percentage ratios you will find hold true with the 35.8 kWh battery in a 2017. Probably only 31.5 to 32.0 kWh useable when VW "says" it's fully recharged. The problem lies with regenerative braking recharging the battery at an excessively fast rate if the battery is over 85% charged, which is where in a lithium battery, the voltage is held constant while top charging, and the current is reduced. Regenerative braking recharges the battery at an extremely fast rate, something a battery over 85% SOC can't reabsorb that quickly.

I suppose at the e-Golf's price point, it cannot use super capacitors to store the regen charge, and then slowly leak that back into the battery at an appropriate time, or use the super capacitors' charge first for propulsion, and then use the battery's charge?

myhui said:
I suppose at the e-Golf's price point, it cannot use super capacitors to store the regen charge, and then slowly leak that back into the battery at an appropriate time, or use the super capacitors' charge first for propulsion, and then use the battery's charge?

Supercapacitors are believed to be the next thing for electric vehicles, but even Tesla isn't using them now.

Back