2017 e-Golf USA Model (inc. window sticker)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miimura

I went to the National Drive Electric Week event at DeAnza College in Cupertino, CA today. They had an area where you could test drive cars provided by DGDG, a local dealer group. Capitol Volkswagen is one of those DGDG dealers. They brought a new 2017 e-Golf SEL in Urano Gray. I did not drive it.

2017_e_Golf_NDEW_r.jpg

Original Image

2017_e_Golf_NDEW_sticker_rc.jpg

Original Image

2017_e_Golf_NDEW_sticker_zrc.jpg

Original Image

As you may have read elsewhere, the 2017 lineup has changed from SE and SEL (2016) to SE, LE, SEL. The LE adds the V-Tex Leatherette upholstery and the Park Pilot sensors. It is not obvious to me from the window sticker what this SEL has above the LE. Maybe it has Navigation and the SE and LE do not? LED Headlights? The sticker makes no mention of a heat pump, but the SEL surely has it.

Prior announcements stated that the 7.2kW on-board charger and multi-function steering wheel are standard across the board. Both excellent decisions if you ask me. Omitting cruise control, a software feature on an EV, simply because you don't have buttons on the cheap steering wheel was ridiculous on the 2015 LE and 2016 SE. To add insult to injury, the 2015 Owner's Manual showed stalks with cruise control buttons that didn't exist on the car.

One thing that surprised me is that the SEL does not have the 9.2" Discover Pro infotainment screen that is available on the 2017 e-Golf in other markets like Europe and Canada. It makes do with the "Discover Media 8" Touchscreen Navigation System". The 8" screen is standard on SE and LE also, but those may not have built-in navigation. If that's the case, you would have to use Android Auto or Car Play to get navigation on those, like the 2016 SE. The fully flush face of the new screen is nice though.

2017_e_golf_Interior_7042rc.jpg

Cropped photo from the VW Media site showing the optional Digital Cockpit and new infotainment screen.

I don't like the Urano Grey color...not all that appealing.

Wonder what all the buttons on the shifter console do now.

P1?
P2?
Ugh, the mode button same place.
And a new button below?

The buttons on the console:
Right side:
Park assist (top) - Starts looking for a suitable parking spot and eventually parks by itself in the spot
Park sensors (bottom) - Activates all the parking sensors that let you know what's around you. This activates automatically when you reverse

Left side:
Park mode (top) - Normal, Eco, Eco+
Not sure about the bottom one.

I don't know what the button below the Mode button is on the cars with the Drivers Assistance Package.

I noticed something else about the picture 3 posts above - it has the larger screen with the single knob. The picture below is supposedly the SEL without the Drivers Assistance Package and it has the smaller screen and two knobs, one on each side. So, maybe the DAP on US cars also upgrades the infotainment screen to the 9.2" Discovery Pro like other markets. Or maybe the image from the VW media site is completely in error on this point and all US cars will have the 8" screen with two knobs.

2017_SEL_Interior.jpg

As far as I could tell, the differences between the LE and SEL are LED headlights and the digital dash (option).

I'm surprised at the price tag on that car without the digital dash. It doesn't seem like VW is trying to sell these yet.

bizzle said:
As far as I could tell, the differences between the LE and SEL are LED headlights and the digital dash (option).

I'm surprised at the price tag on that car without the digital dash. It doesn't seem like VW is trying to sell these yet.
The heat pump and built-in navigation are likely also added to the SEL over the LE.

From all the pictures and documentation I've viewed, the digital dash and the large screen come as a package. It's unfortunate, in my opinion, because I like buttons and dials and it seems that by paying an extra $1400 the ergonomics are compromised.

As far as the heating technology, I called VW Customer Care to ask which trim levels have a heat pump and was told that all three trim levels have a heater (such a helpful answer!). When I explained that I wanted to know if the cars came with a heat pump or resistance module, I was instructed to ask a dealer, as apparently the dealers have more technical knowledge than VW Corporate. It's always nice to know that the company that designs and manufactures the car doesn't know what it's actually making.

f1geek said:
As far as the heating technology, I called VW Customer Care to ask which trim levels have a heat pump and was told that all three trim levels have a heater (such a helpful answer!). When I explained that I wanted to know if the cars came with a heat pump or resistance module, I was instructed to ask a dealer, as apparently the dealers have more technical knowledge than VW Corporate. It's always nice to know that the company that designs and manufactures the car doesn't know what it's actually making.

For 2017, the LE and SEL have the heat pump with the SE does not. It's clearly listed in the brochure.

http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/brochures/2017/VWA-10730266_MY17_eGolf_Digital.pdf

Seems that VW has pulled the Limited model. Dealer says they aren't available, and it is no longer a choice on the web site build! Hm. VW is strange.

That is strange—you’re right, the LE model has disappeared from the website. I thought that maybe the trim level was simply not in the first batch of cars made for the U.S., in much the same way that you can’t find the Great Falls Green color in current 2017 stock, even though it does show up on the website as one of the colors—maybe that color will come in the next few months. It‘s the same way with the Driver’s Assistance Package with the digital dash, which only started being produced on builds made from July of this year onwards (which we haven't seen yet in the U.S., although Canada has received some with that option).

The LE model is dead, according to VW Customer Care. New brochures are being prepared to reflect this. If you want a heat pump, you must buy the SEL.

That's disappointing. I really was hoping to see a mid-level trim that offered all the practical features (DCFC, heat pump, LED headlights, etc). When the range gets to 150+ miles I'd be OK with investing in a premium trim, but any less and I'm inclined to think short term and keep costs down by leasing another SE.

f1geek said:
The LE model is dead, according to VW Customer Care. New brochures are being prepared to reflect this. If you want a heat pump, you must buy the SEL.
If this is true, then VW looks even more like the bumbling diesel-gate fools that many now think they are. If they are going to keep the e-Golf as a CARB-state compliance car, then this makes sense. If they were going to open up availability to more states and at least train service departments across the country, then eliminating the LE trim, which we only learned about with the pricing announcement 3 weeks ago, makes no sense. Why on earth would they create a pricing announcement with a new trim and then kill it 2 weeks later? Why would they create a pricing announcement including a trim that they had not even ordered production for? If they had not ordered any LE trim cars, why didn't the announcement say "late availability"?

It just makes VW America look like a bunch of incompetents.

VW CEO Muller is in no hurry to give up on diesels - you can read the comments he made at the 2017 Frankfurt Auto Show.

When I got the news from VW Customer care about no e-Golf LE, she told me that VW won't sell the e-Golf in all 50 states until several years from now because training all of the dealership technicians to service e-Golfs will require a lot of time and effort. But she did remind me how VW is working to install public EV charging via Electrify America. When I replied that Electrify America is a product of VW's criminal activities in the US, she had nothing to say.

I agree VW is incompetent on a lot of fronts.

I doubt I will stick with the e-Golf when my lease runs out, unless VW offers a very large discount on the residual value or on a new lease. The 2018 Nissan Leaf is looking better every day. Nissan gets EVs, sells them in all 50 states, has already sold a quarter of a million Leafs around the world and is serious about training dealers to support the Leaf.

Check out the shiny new brochure at VW.com. The LE trim has been exorcised.

http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/brochures/2017/VW_MY17_eGolf_Digital.pdf

Back