Electrical system failure: Stop! Sep 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi everyone, i am from Toronto, Canada and got my brand new 2017 egolf from the dealer on saturday (sep 30, 2017) afternoon; while driving back home it shut down suddenly and indicated Electrical system failure: Stop! on dashboard. i had to call and get towed back to dealer immediately. thankfully i was just off 401, the busiest highway in North america, otherwise, this must be a tremendous and life-threading accident.

now i found this forum and figured out there were many similar incidents and VW had made the recall. I dont want the car any more, i dont have any faith to drive it.

i understand most of forum members are from the states, yet, please help to advise what I should do.

thanks.

Wow... Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'd be (more than) upset too, since it occurred literally driving off the dealer lot. I don't think anyone can really speak to your experience, since the 2017's just came out. You should research any lemon laws, and hopefully, your dealer will take care of the problem and give you a loaner in the meantime.

Sit tight, give VW of Canada a chance to sort it all out, and once they sort it out for you (and they will) ask for some sort of gift card with a monetary value, to compensate you for the stress, inconvenience, and loss of trust in a car that supposedly went through pre inspection delivery, where this should have been caught. First Car payment provided by VW of Canada, or a $400 gift card sounds about right.

Damn...

I'm worried about mine now, I'll have a 160km test drive down the 401 home when I finally get to go pick it up... But my deposit is not finalised yet...

I did miss a call yesterday from the dealership in London, I wonder if it was to finalize my order, or let me know if there's another delay...

They didn't leave a message, so I'll be watching my phone closely to see if they call again today...

nerk said:
Damn...I'm worried about mine now

Clearly the issue with the OP's vehicle is serious and unacceptable. However, let's be clear, it's not widespread. There is zero evidence it's more common for e-Golfs to suddenly die than it is for an average ICE vehicle. I would not worry at all.

This just happened yesterday to my 2016 egolf SE at 2077 miles. It's at the dealer now too. How many miles were on your '17 when this occurred?

ultim8gamr said:
This just happened yesterday to my 2016 egolf SE at 2077 miles. It's at the dealer now too. How many miles were on your '17 when this occurred?

20KM....20 minutes off the dealer....

to egolf2017toronto:

there's another incident post in the forum...i believe the "sudden die" issue happens much more often than any other vehicles.

to everyone:
I am returning the car to dealership... to be honest, it's a great car, fun drive. but i dont have any faith in driving it around with my kid.

i suggest all e-golf owners raise this issue to the dealer or VW. i strongly dont think it is single incident. good luck.

canadagunner said:
ultim8gamr said:

20KM....20 minutes off the dealer....

to egolf2017toronto:

there's another incident post in the forum...i believe the "sudden die" issue happens much more often than any other vehicles.

to everyone:
I am returning the car to dealership... to be honest, it's a great car, fun drive. but i dont have any faith in driving it around with my kid.

i suggest all e-golf owners raise this issue to the dealer or VW. i strongly dont think it is single incident. good luck.

After your e-Golf gets fixed, please take a photo of the repair bill and post it up here with the codes noted on how to fix it, for future reference. If it helps save other folks time with their e-Golfs and how to fix them, through common knowledge, then it's a good lesson for all of us that still want to drive an e-Golf. If you don't provide a copy of the paper work for the repair, with this being your first post on the e-Golf forum, I am going to consider your first post a "FUD" post and a troll, with no substantiation for your claim.

It's nice of you to "believe strongly" that so many e-Golfs have died right off the dealership floor, but that doesn't make it fact. Around here, we try to support statements made with statistics. I've been around here a long time, and the number of people buying a new e-Golf only to have it dead on arrival within 20km is slim to none. Matter of fact, I think yours is the first Canadian version that I've read about.

I don't believe it's proper to get others not having the same problem, to do your dirty work down at VW dealerships. You give other VW owners a bad name, doing so.

Good luck with whatever you decide to replace it with.

The 401 is just one highway.... there are quite a few like it in Los Angeles, with many more miles to be traveled on various roads all in high states of congestion. No one in an e-Golf or a TDI has ended up dead yet, from a drive train failure.

JoulesThief said:
canadagunner said:
ultim8gamr said:

After your e-Golf gets fixed, please take a photo of the repair bill and post it up here with the codes noted on how to fix it, for future reference. If it helps save other folks time with their e-Golfs and how to fix them, through common knowledge, then it's a good lesson for all of us that still want to drive an e-Golf. If you don't provide a copy of the paper work for the repair, with this being your first post on the e-Golf forum, I am going to consider your first post a "FUD" post and a troll, with no substantiation for your claim.
Sacramento dealership called to say it's the JX1 module that needs replacing in my case. should have it back early next week. Will add more info when I pick it up

ultim8gamr said:
JoulesThief said:
Sacramento dealership called to say it's the JX1 module that needs replacing in my case. should have it back early next week. Will add more info when I pick it up
Thanks for the quick feedback. Let us know if everything else is the same after the R&R of the JX1 module, or if there is other reflashing updates to software performed.

Here's the dealer form. The JX1 module was replaced on my car. Part arrived Tuesday morning and by that afternoon the car was ready. Brought it in with 2077 miles and picked it up with 2078 miles so the road test was VERY short.

There are a few other repair kits on here as well but they didn't mention anything about it when I picked it up
23ubdrt.jpg

ultim8gamr said:
Here's the dealer form. The JX1 module was replaced on my car. Part arrived Tuesday morning and by that afternoon the car was ready. Brought it in with 2077 miles and picked it up with 2078 miles so the road test was VERY short.

There are a few other repair kits on here as well but they didn't mention anything about it when I picked it up
23ubdrt.jpg

Thanks UltimateG... exactly the right stuff for future people that might have this problem. Very much appreciated! Now, time to drive more, worry less.!

Back