Retrofit 35,8KWH battery in 24,2 KWH E-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offpist

Hello.
I own an 2014 model 24KWH E-Golf and i also have an 35,8KWH battery from an 2017 model E-golf that was in an crash.
The plan is to retrofit the battery in to my older E-golf.

We already tried to the swap and everything fits, same connector and same physical layout.
But the car does not accept the new battery and i cannot reach the module "(Hybrid Battery (J840)" after the swap.

Any help would be appreciated.

power parameters outside the normal safe operating range for the program I suspect

offpist said:
Hello.
I own an 2014 model 24KWH E-Golf

Uhhh where are you located? To my knowledge, 2015 was the first model year for the e-Golf.

You're probably the first person in the world to try and upgrade the battery in a Generation I e-Golf for sure.

I live in Norway, here it was released mid 2014.
And yes, I know i am probably the first to try this.

The answer i got from VW is its impossible, but i am not buying it..

If you are successful, you will make Volkswagen look like a liar. I suspect it's somewhere in the software parameters, but I can't physically prove it. Volkswagen is really shitty about this type of stuff being proprietary. I am certain there is a way to do it, but you're going to have a rough road ahead figuring out how exactly to get it finished off.

I am wondering if you would have to stuff all the new battery packs in the old battery structure to get it to work? Change out all the cells, one by one.

One option I am considering is simply swapping the 5QE915227K (Hybrid Battery (J840) module from my old battery in to the new battery.
But then the qestion is, can it still communicate with J497 and the battery modules.
And how will the module cope with having 50% more capasity.
I guess we just have to try to find out.

OR, switch ALL modules related to charging and motor in the car. But then I need VW blessing with component protection.

index.php

offpist said:
One option I am considering is simply swapping the 5QE915227K (Hybrid Battery (J840) module from my old battery in to the new battery.
But then the qestion is, can it still communicate with J497 and the battery modules.
And how will the module cope with having 50% more capasity.
I guess we just have to try to find out.

OR, switch ALL modules related to charging and motor in the car. But then I need VW blessing with component protection.

index.php

This is an interesting swap, however, I doubt anyone outside VW and perhaps a 3rd party battery upgrader (the name escapes me now, sorry) has the expertise necessary to answer your questions. Have you had a chance to connect with someone in VW engineering?

do you have the before auto-scans for the old car, new crashed car, and the old car with new battery installed? it'd be interesting to look at which module is faulting out.

I would talk to these guys.

http://www.kreiselelectric.com/en/projects/electric-golf/

I believe you can do it, but I also believe VW will stonewall you all the way. The solution will most definitely be in the software, it will take a significant amount of hacking but the great thing about hackers is they are persistent...

/\ This. VW is notorious for stonewalling you on how to fix your own car. It's almost monopolistic.

Hello, do you have VCDS? I think it's necessary to overwrite the old fin number from the new battery.

I think you will need to also change out the charger, as the new cells are a different chemistry, and probably require different charging profile; or even different voltage?

Sorry for not updating.
There is not much progress really, and i do not have the resources or knowledge to make this happen all on my own.
If anyone is interested in buying the 35,8KWH battery (2017) i am offering it up for sale. Also i will be including the BMS from an 24 KWH (2015) battery.
Its located in Oslo/Norway.

Contact me on PM if interested.

offpist said:
Hello.
I own an 2014 model 24KWH E-Golf and i also have an 35,8KWH battery from an 2017 model E-golf that was in an crash.
The plan is to retrofit the battery in to my older E-golf.

We already tried to the swap and everything fits, same connector and same physical layout.
But the car does not accept the new battery and i cannot reach the module "(Hybrid Battery (J840)" after the swap.

Any help would be appreciated.

I did a Auto to Manual swap on my 2002 TDI, and in your situation I suggest using ALL the electronics from the crashed car in your good chassis. Perhaps it's a big job, but more likely to succeed?

BTW Thanks, for your post about details of finding SOH in VCDS! I got 86% on 2016 75000km in California.

GdB said:
details of finding SOH in VCDS! I got 86% on 2016 75000km in California.
Ouch, 14% loss ? Seems like a lot, and that's with the older battery tech. I wonder if the newer pack would hold up better.

eGolfJoe said:
GdB said:
details of finding SOH in VCDS! I got 86% on 2016 75000km in California.
Ouch, 14% loss ? Seems like a lot, and that's with the older battery tech. I wonder if the newer pack would hold up better.

I am guessing 75000km is miles, not kilometers, since GdB did say "California" and US odometers are in miles. Assuming 75k miles, it sounds like a battery that will survive VW's battery warranty period. We are closing in on 51k miles and still see better than 80 miles driving pretty much like an ICE car.

Back