Stupid things that I learned after 22 months of ownership.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much that I agree with in this thread.
1. PHEV's that slow charge shouldn't clog the L2 and up public EVSE's.
2. No EV should camp out at a public station for any reason. Charge and move.
3. Longer range cars are needed as more EV's are built, purchased and utilized. The infrastructure just isn't there yet, anywhere!

Something that needs to be posted at every free or paid public EVSE: "Spots are for active charging only! Please move your vehicle As Soon As possible once you reached your desired state of charge so others may charge!"

One thing missed-people need to check in on Plug Share or Charge Hub when using public EVSE's. The more use that can be tracked the more data available to push for more public chargers. I am fortunate that I use a free DCFC station daily by my work and it is almost always available. I fear this will change as more EV's are purchased. We have a good group in our area though that is pushing the install of more chargers using the VW funding that is available. When I was in Baltimore, MD I found 356V, 99 AMP chargers for free. That was awesome.

Oh-and did you know that the "+" and "-" buttons on your cruise control buttons give you +5mph or -5mph while the "RES" and the "SET" only give you 1 mph increments?

95GLX said:
So much that I agree with in this thread.
1. PHEV's that slow charge shouldn't clog the L2 and up public EVSE's.
2. No EV should camp out at a public station for any reason. Charge and move.
3. Longer range cars are needed as more EV's are built, purchased and utilized. The infrastructure just isn't there yet, anywhere!

Something that needs to be posted at every free or paid public EVSE: "Spots are for active charging only! Please move your vehicle As Soon As possible once you reached your desired state of charge so others may charge!"

One thing missed-people need to check in on Plug Share or Charge Hub when using public EVSE's. The more use that can be tracked the more data available to push for more public chargers. I am fortunate that I use a free DCFC station daily by my work and it is almost always available. I fear this will change as more EV's are purchased. We have a good group in our area though that is pushing the install of more chargers using the VW funding that is available. When I was in Baltimore, MD I found 356V, 99 AMP chargers for free. That was awesome.

Oh-and did you know that the "+" and "-" buttons on your cruise control buttons give you +5mph or -5mph while the "RES" and the "SET" only give you 1 mph increments?
wow a free DCFC, I haven't seen one of those yet.

johnnylingo said:
eeeeek said:
The infrastructure no longer supports the number of vehicles that can plug in... I will most likely not be getting another BEV when my lease is done.

But if you could get a BEV with 150+ miles range, I think that turns the tables for most people. Add a home charger and you've got a full tank of gas each day, then DCFC for the rare days over 150 miles. Never have to deal with public L2 chargers again and can let the Prius Prime users fight over the plugs.

/\ This... I probably could easily get 160 to 170 miles of range out of a 2017 e-Golf with in the city driving. But freeway would kill that to 125 miles. Going up from 950 ft elevation in the San Fernando Valley to 3000 ft elevation in the Antelope Valley in N Los Angeles county would be another range shortener, everyone doing 80+ mph up that grade, no room for slow pokes and the truck lane is beat up to hell, where the slower traffic usually is.

Well I've had the car for 8 months and I only found out about the 85 MPH top speed yesterday (downhill) ;-)

not sure which is saddest: the actual limit, or that it took me that long. In fairness this is my commuter, i.e it's always in traffic... Unusually mild traffic yesterday and downhill pass... it was like hitting a wall. I thought it broke or something ;-) I really should read the manual - nah....

Deschodt said:
Well I've had the car for 8 months and I only found out about the 85 MPH top speed yesterday (downhill) ;-)

not sure which is saddest: the actual limit, or that it took me that long. In fairness this is my commuter, i.e it's always in traffic... Unusually mild traffic yesterday and downhill pass... it was like hitting a wall. I thought it broke or something ;-) I really should read the manual - nah....

Try it in Eco or Eco+modes. 75mph and 55 mph, respectively.

The car automatically switches you into Eco mode with about 20 miles of range left. You can override it back to standard mode until you hit a little less than 10 miles, then you are in Eco+ and there is no escape.

Back