Dead Key fob - how to enter car ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evinma

The battery on key fob died completely while I was away from home and as a result I was completely locked out of the car. The worthless CarNet app was no help in unlocking the car and I had to leave my car in the parking lot. So, any idea how one can get into car and start if if the fob is dead ? I know it's possible on other gasoline cars, but I have no clue where the key hole is on the 2015 eGolf. Any ideas ?

And a related questions - When I put in brand new batteries in the fob, the light on the fob doesn't blink. This happens to both the fobs. Has anyone experienced something like this? (No, I don't have the car with me when I do this...)
Thanks!

On the exterior, there's a plastic cover next to the door handle. Remove the cover, and use your mechanical key. To start the car, hold the key fob against the right side of the steering column (either that or to the right of the start button, I forget which) before hitting the start button.

What 2016 said, I put that in the Wiki.

Regarding the Batteries, the Remotes are very picky, if the batteries are slightly out of spec (Like those batts you buy from Amazon and come in packs of 20), they won't work. I had to go to the 99cent store and get a pack of three and those worked fine.

2016golfse said:
On the exterior, there's a plastic cover next to the door handle. Remove the cover, and use your mechanical key. To start the car, hold the key fob against the right side of the steering column (either that or to the right of the start button, I forget which) before hitting the start button.
Thanks for the solution !

forbin404 : I see what you mean about the batteries. I have a pack I bought on Amazon that seems to be giving up on me.

2016golfse said:

It's on the right side of the steering column, where a key would be on non-KESSY versions. You can see the embossing in the plastic of where you need to hold the fob.

Hello,
By digging around the owner's manual and heeding the advice here, I was able to get it done .. not quite a intuitive as it sounds/looks - even from the schema/"drawing" followed.
So here is an attempt to make things clearer.
i) the handle (the part that you pull has a touch-sensitive slot : do not force your key there.
ii) the actual hidden-key part is the next one to your right that does _not_ move with the handle.
iii) underneath there is a small notch - you can pry apart from the door (I would recommend you protect with a small piece of paper or anything thin - but that will protect the paint/finish.
-> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oinriZD9ic46pIQg9fvNqd_l-vqRVxTS
iv) once you've wedged that apart - it will reveal the key hole.
-> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1asauFA3M2JSoI5SzRNZhTLzOsUY5FZUk
bonne chance.
Marc

Back