Buy a used 2016 SEL or lease a new 2017 SEL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie

Here is another variation on the lease verses buy question:

I've been quoted a lease on a 2017 SEL for $2,000 down and $400 a month for 36 months and the $2,500 CA rebate or about $13,500 for three years. This includes 12,000 miles a year.

Or, I've seen low mileage 2016 SELs for $18,500 and I own the car.

Or, a Honda Clarity (equivalent to an SEL) for $2,000 down and $269 a month plus tax and license and the $2,500 CA rebate or about $10,300 for three years. This includes 20,000 miles a year. The down side of the Clarity is a range of 89 miles.

Comments please about these options.

What have you paid when the lease ends for damage to the car?

Thanks for your help.

Looks like the deciding factor for you will be range. eGolf didn't get the expanded battery capacity until 2017.

However, I thought I would have to go with a new 2017 for the range, and ended up buying a 2015 SEL. My budget is limited and I have felt the sting of vehicle depreciation before. I have two other vehicles I can drive on longer trips.

For reference, I was offered this deal: 2017 eGolf SE w/ DCFC, $5,000 down, 15,000 mi, $239/mo +tax. Seemed pretty good with a payment not too much more than what I have with the 2015, but after 5 years (likely sooner) I will own the 2015 with all the nice features of the SEL package.

NEVER accept the first offer for a lease payment, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors that they play with and you can always get a better deal if you persist and play the field. The exception might be the advertised offers, but as soon as you start adding options or altering the lease parameters it all goes back to the smoke and mirrors.

The eGolf is really an excellent vehicle. I haven't test driven a Clarity, how does it compare?

Does it have to be a 2016? You can find used 2015 SEL's with ~30K miles for $15k at Capitol Hyundai - note that it's the dealer's asking price.

Ugh, $13k for 3years for the SEL, damn that dealer is not making you a deal at all.

The 2016 SE was going for $7k OTD and the 2016 SEL was around $8k but $13k , yuck.
BTW that's most likely as the 2017 is brand new and dealers can name their own price.

My Gosh, a Chevy Bolt 2017 can be had for $8k right now (If you can find them as they are popular)

2016golfse said:
Does it have to be a 2016? You can find used 2015 SEL's with ~30K miles for $15k at Capitol Hyundai - note that it's the dealer's asking price.

UGH, don't tell me that, I just paid $1,000 more for the same car, although I don't like that blue color and the interior looks a bit scuffed. Still, that's a great deal.

Deals come and go. Here's a 3rd option. A new 2017 SE with the quick charge package. Hanlees Hilltop has one for $25,025. After tax and the CA, Fed, and PG&E rebates, you're looking at ~$17,250, except you own the car and get to enjoy the longer range.

If a good lease deal comes along, I'd take the lease deal, but you can use this as your purchase reference point.

2016golfse said:
A new 2017 SE with the quick charge package. Hanlees Hilltop has one for $25,025.

Saw they're advertising a black 2017 SEL for $30k too. I'd be a bit wary..20% off MSRP seems almost too good to be true on a brand "new" model that's in short supply. Then again, I don't think there's many people waiting with bated breath after VW bungled the release and there's now tougher competition out there from the 2018 Leaf, Ioniq, Bolt, and Model 3.

I casually looked for used 2016 SELs the other day and saw them around $20k. I'm sure there's wiggle room but I'd rather wait for the right deal on a 2017, especially considering last summer it was possible to get 25% off MSRP on the SELs.

johnnylingo said:
Saw they're advertising a black 2017 SEL for $30k too. I'd be a bit wary..20% off MSRP seems almost too good to be true on a brand "new" model that's in short supply. Then again, I don't think there's many people waiting with bated breath after VW bungled the release and there's now tougher competition out there from the 2018 Leaf, Ioniq, Bolt, and Model 3.

I bought mine at Hanlee's. Gave me a great deal. SEL's are not that rare in the Bay Area. Just the DAP equipped ones.

2016golfse said:
johnnylingo said:

I bought mine at Hanlee's. Gave me a great deal. SEL's are not that rare in the Bay Area. Just the DAP equipped ones.

When did you buy your 2016 SE from Hanlees, relative to the 2016 model’s initial release? And for how much, if you don’t mind me asking?

At this point, the 2017s have only been available for a couple of months in my area (SoCal). I’m wondering how real this $25k sale price is on their website.

theful13ffect said:
When did you buy your 2016 SE from Hanlees, relative to the 2016 model’s initial release? And for how much, if you don’t mind me asking?

At this point, the 2017s have only been available for a couple of months in my area (SoCal). I’m wondering how real this $25k sale price is on their website.

June of this year, so at the start of the "clear out for the 2017's late release" stage. To determine how "real" their price is, only one way to find out.

2016golfse said:
June of this year, so at the start of the "clear out for the 2017's late release" stage. To determine how "real" their price is, only one way to find out.
Fair enough. I’ve been in contact with a few dealerships, and a few seem willing to match Hanlee’s advertised $25k sale price.

theful13ffect said:
I’ve been in contact with a few dealerships, and a few seem willing to match Hanlee’s advertised $25k sale price.

Well now you know the price is real, and what your upper limit should be.

2016golfse said:
Well now you know the price is real, and what your upper limit should be.
I spoke too soon. One of the dealerships fell through. The other dealership is offering $25,800 before taxes and fees. I asked to include the dc fast charge package for the same price and he says it’s pending manager approval.

Any thoughts? Good deal or no? I couldn’t seem to get any other dealership to entertain matching that price. They all thought it was already factoring in the federal tax credit.

BTW it looks like Hanlee’s took down that price off their website.

theful13ffect said:
I spoke too soon. One of the dealerships fell through. The other dealership is offering $25,800 before taxes and fees. I asked to include the dc fast charge package for the same price and he says it’s pending manager approval.

Any thoughts? Good deal or no? I couldn’t seem to get any other dealership to entertain matching that price. They all thought it was already factoring in the federal tax credit.

I have no idea why you didn't just go to Hanlee's to begin with, but what's done is done. Incentives for dealerships and customers come and go. If $25,800 is the best you can do today, and you need the car today, then it's a good deal. If there's no need to buy today, then wait for the deal of a lifetime.

2016golfse said:
theful13ffect said:

I have no idea why you didn't just go to Hanlee's to begin with, but what's done is done. Incentives for dealerships and customers come and go. If $25,800 is the best you can do today, and you need the car today, then it's a good deal. If there's no need to buy today, then wait for the deal of a lifetime.

/\ This.

2016golfse said:
I didn’t go to Hanlee’s because it’s in Richmond and I’m in Los Angeles. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear.

I do think that’s the best I can do today, so you’re right. Thanks for the insight.

theful13ffect, which dealership quoted you $25,800? Was that in the SF Bay Area? The best quote I got so far for a 2017 SE non-DCFC in Bay Area is $26,465 from Dublin VW.

Faxx said:
theful13ffect, which dealership quoted you $25,800? Was that in the SF Bay Area? The best quote I got so far for a 2017 SE non-DCFC in Bay Area is $26,465 from Dublin VW.
I’m in Southern California, and the dealership is in Pasadena. FYI I ended up pulling the trigger, and I’m quite happy with the purchase. Mine came with the DCFC package. Good luck to you!

Back