Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charging battery in cold weather?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:04 am 

I just got a delivery of my brand new 2017 e-golf! I am loving it!
I just want to clarify some tips about preserving battery life. I recently came across this: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... -harm-them

It claims charging battery in cold weather will permanently damage it. Is this true? I live in Canada, and will have -20 degree winter days coming, and don't have indoor garage. Am I screwed?

Post subject: Re: Charging battery in cold weather?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:12 pm 

egolf39 wrote:
I just got a delivery of my brand new 2017 e-golf! I am loving it!
I just want to clarify some tips about preserving battery life. I recently came across this: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... -harm-them

It claims charging battery in cold weather will permanently damage it. Is this true? I live in Canada, and will have -20 degree winter days coming, and don't have indoor garage. Am I screwed?

Do you really think VW would sell an e-Golf in Norway or Canada if the battery could get damaged recharging in your local temperatures? How about you read the owners manual and see what it says regarding temperatures and recharging.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:09 pm 

My owner's manual does say that if leaving car parked in -27C or below temperature can freeze battery and cannot start electric motor, but does not say anything about not able to charge the battery. I guess, it's rare to see -27C temperature here, I try to charge it during the day when it is warm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 pm 

egolf39 wrote:
My owner's manual does say that if leaving car parked in -27C or below temperature can freeze battery and cannot start electric motor, but does not say anything about not able to charge the battery. I guess, it's rare to see -27C temperature here, I try to charge it during the day when it is warm.

Then you should be good. The battery does generate a little bit of heat itself as it recharges.