Is there a way to see battery percentage or charge rates?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbier

I got my 2017 SE last week and am new to the forum and have a few questions I can't find an answer to.

Is there any way to see a percent (%) charge? Or is it just estimated miles and the gas tank inspired gauge?

Also, is there any way to see incoming charge rate? Voltage and amperage would be awesome, but even just power (kw) would be very nice to see.

I get the electric "tachometer" but would like to see how much power the motor is spending or recuperating. I guess its easy enough (given the 100 kw motor) to do know that 2, or 20% power, is drawing 20kwh from the battery. I'd also liek to see how much power climate control is using other than by calculating the delta on the estimated range.

Thanks for the help and I really hope this data is available. I got used to it real quick on our Pacifica Hybrid and really miss it on the golf. Otherwise I love my golf. Getting 150 miles on a charge. Tomorrow will be my first DC charge so we'll see how that goes.

short answers..

1) No

2) No

3) I want that too but VW doesn't want you know that specific about their product.

Battery Percentage trick: Log into the CarNet web site and resize the window to a narrow format so that the three-bar "hamburger menu" appears in the upper right hand corner. It will format as below, showing the battery SOC as an integer percentage. This is our 2015. I assume the US model 2017 e-Golf will work the same way. You will also notice that the Flash, Honk, and Unlock are grayed out because we have fallen back to the basic EV-only service after the full trial expired.

Car_Net_Remote_Screen.jpg

Interesting hack! But boy is this stupid that this is the only way to get that information. Car-net is certainly one of the weaker apps out there.

miimura said:
Battery Percentage trick: Log into the CarNet web site and resize the window to a narrow format so that the three-bar "hamburger menu" appears in the upper right hand corner. It will format as below, showing the battery SOC as an integer percentage. This is our 2015. I assume the US model 2017 e-Golf will work the same way. You will also notice that the Flash, Honk, and Unlock are grayed out because we have fallen back to the basic EV-only service after the full trial expired.

Car_Net_Remote_Screen.jpg

Thumbs up!!

The trick only seems to work with the web browser based version, not the smartphone app. Or at least I couldn't get the app to display percentage and it took me coming back to ask again on the forum how to get % to display.

After tracking estimated charge capacity for a while now using % with an equation from an earlier thread I am of the opinion that either capacity varies (could be due to cold temperatures) or the % indication is not all that accurate. I am getting variation in calculated estimated capacity of around 1.6kWh between highest and lowest capacity estimates for a dozen charge cycles tracked since 2/11/2018. Because of the variation I added a running average to the spreadsheet to see trends over time (currently at 18.33kWh usable capacity at ~36k miles on a 2015).

forbin404 said:
short answers..

1) No

2) No

3) I want that too but VW doesn't want you know that specific about their product.
lots of thanks! was having same questions as OP and i found your short, really useful answers! if i would have some other questions, can i ask you them? thanks!

tbier said:
...ge rate? Voltage and amperage would be awesome, but even just power (kw) would be very nice to see.

You can see voltage and amperage if you have the digital cockpit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTdfbtZWXY

ichwoo said:
tbier said:
...ge rate? Voltage and amperage would be awesome, but even just power (kw) would be very nice to see.

How? Those numbers are just being overlayed on top of the time lapse of charging the car.

I checked today during Level II charging. It is similar to what is shown during Level III charging.

Te green and blue lines definitely show Amperes and Voltage; the green line gets shorter as charging nears completion. I do not know if it is possible to attribute actual numeric values to them.

spare said:
ichwoo said:
tbier said:

How? Those numbers are just being overlayed on top of the time lapse of charging the car.

Look at the regen/power gauge. See the green and blue lines get shorter and shorter in the video?

2019 e-golf SE
I have a work around.

On the charge manager home page, or on the "e-display" page showing dynamic power used as a blue motion graphic and recuperation as green: in both cases there is a graphic representing 10 battery plates. When available battery power is at 80%, only 8 of the ten plate objects are blue. The rest are blacked out. Similarly for 40% power, 4 plates are blue and 6 blacked out. Yes it is only rounded to the nearest 10%, but it Is quick and dirty.
An earlier post suggested VW didn't want us to know this information only to find out later that you get it with the LCD cockpit display.
For you convenience, I figured how to quantify the analog battery gauge that looks like a conventional gas gauge. It is inconvenient that there are 8 major graduations for a gauge indication 0 to 100%. So: each major graduation is 12.5 and each secondary graduation is 6.25. So 4 major graduations equal 50%. The next major graduation is 62.5, and the next 75, the next 87.5, and the last 100.
Finally, there is a note in the owner's manual not to repeatedly charge the battery between 97 and 100%.
If VW want's us to follow that guidance they need to give us SE owners the information with sufficient resolution. A software update that adds a page to the "driving data" menu with the battery % would be indicated.

spinner85 said:
2019 e-golf SE
I have a work around.

On the charge manager home page, or on the "e-display" page showing dynamic power used as a blue motion graphic and recuperation as green: in both cases there is a graphic representing 10 battery plates. When available battery power is at 80%, only 8 of the ten plate objects are blue. The rest are blacked out. Similarly for 40% power, 4 plates are blue and 6 blacked out. Yes it is only rounded to the nearest 10%, but it Is quick and dirty.
An earlier post suggested VW didn't want us to know this information only to find out later that you get it with the LCD cockpit display.
For you convenience, I figured how to quantify the analog battery gauge that looks like a conventional gas gauge. It is inconvenient that there are 8 major graduations for a gauge indication 0 to 100%. So: each major graduation is 12.5 and each secondary graduation is 6.25. So 4 major graduations equal 50%. The next major graduation is 62.5, and the next 75, the next 87.5, and the last 100.
Finally, there is a note in the owner's manual not to repeatedly charge the battery between 97 and 100%.
If VW want's us to follow that guidance they need to give us SE owners the information with sufficient resolution. A software update that adds a page to the "driving data" menu with the battery % would be indicated.

The SEL doesn’t give you any information about battery charge levels. I don’t know what that video is really showing, but my car with digital cockpit does not do anything like that. The green and blue represent the max amount of regen or power available. I too can only get a percentage charge level by the workaround you listed, or OBDeleven

Back