iPhone 5/6 lightning MDI Cable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idris

Did anyone get an iPhone 5/6 (lightning) MDI adapter with their eGolf? The car came with an old iPhone 4 cable, but I got them to give me a lightning one. However, the one they gave me didn't work (didn't even charge the phone).

I looked around online and it looks like the cable I was given is for the previous Golf models (Mk6). It has a white "collar" on the cord, and it looks like I need one with a green collar. I think the model number I need is #5N0 035 554 H or #5N0 035 554 F. If someone has a working lightning adapter in their car, could you please reply with the model number? Thanks!

I received both old style and new style iPhone connectors with mine. My car isn't very close, but here is a chart on vw.com:

http://parts.vw.com/media/images/ecatalog/itemdocuments/1000/MDI%20Cable%20Application%20Matrix%20Quick%20Tip.pdf

5N0035554H - MIB Lightning <---- the one you need
5N0035554K - MIB 30 Pin

As you can see in the chart, the 2 "MIB" columns are the ones that should have been included with your car. If you didn't get both, you should definitely get VW or your dealer to give them to you for free.

My car had the 30-pin connector but the sales guy told me it was an ongoing changeover to the lightning one, so he got one for me. I haven't actually tried it yet though, so I suppose I should do that tomorrow and make sure it works if there are two versions.

I've seen the new iphone charger in the egolf at the first dealership that I went to when I test drove it. When I was purchasing the egolf from a different dealership I told the salesperson that the car is missing it, he told me that it doesn't come in the egolf and someone must have put that in the car at the other dealership. Yeah okay, had the husband get on the phone with VW of America, and they confirmed that the new iphone charger is supposed to come with the car. The regional manager is supposed to get in contact with us on Monday since the dealership wont fork one over cause they said we didn't leave them any room for profit with the car. VW of America will eventually mail us the charger.

Just picked up my e-Golf Saturday (3 days ago). It came with both iPhone connectors. One thing to be aware of - if your iPhone has a cover, the connector won't connect. You'll need to take the cover off to insert the connector fully.

I think it depends on the iPhone case. My wife and I have cases from different manufacturers for our 5's and the vw-supplied cable works fine with both phones/cases.

I recall reading that someone got VW to send them a cable since they only received the older cable from the dealer & the car was supposed to come with both. (Our car came with both.). May be worth a phone call to try to get one for free.

I read this board and contacted my sales rep at VW of DTLA. He said that none of the other cars have the lighting cable and his manager said he thinks it comes with one or the other. I called VW of America and the representative seemed to be in agreement that the car should in fact come with both cables, but they do not have any in stock and are on back order. Regardless they told me, very apologetically, that I would need to acquire the cable through the dealership. I asked what I should do if the dealership said, "I don't know", and he responded with "Sorry, I don't know". I'm not trying to pull anything over on anyone, I just want the cord that was supposed to come with my car so I can connect my phone.

If anyone has had better success let me know.

I have an old iPhone 4 that I'm no longer using as a phone, so I tested the 30pin cable that the car came with. I was thinking I might leave it plugged in as an iPod. It did not pass sound to the car, it just acted as a charge cord. When I took the car in for this and other issues that I had in the first month of ownership in May, they replaced the MDI interface box. I asked the dealer for the Lightning cord and they did not do anything. I had a case open with VW customer service about my several issues and the VW rep agreed to have one shipped direct to me from the parts distribution center. It arrived at no charge in less than a week.

"Your mileage may vary...".

Just got my new 2015 e-Golf SEL and it came with the older 30 pin cable. I contacted VW Customer Care and requested the lightning cable. They said:

"VW Customer Care only had a limited supply of cables and have since depleted our stock, and we no longer have any cables here to provide. Our dealers are aware of this and will provide you with the correct cable for your e-Golf. We recommend reaching out to your selling dealer to provide you with the Lightning Cable."

Thought i'd share.

Looks like the earlier 2015 eGolfs use a MDI to lighting cable with a "green" collar (5N0 035 554 Q) The newer ones need a "white" collar (00 051 446 Q)

Back