Dc charging questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good table of what words mean vs percentage of time something happens: (these are estimates)

Always - 100%

Frequently - 90%

Usually -80%

Often -70%

Sometimes -50%

Occasionally - 40%

Seldom - 20%

Rarely -10%

Never -0%

Give or take 10%, frequently using DC charging is still much more than 50%, so even using DCFC every other time you charge your car should NOT be considered frequent. Ultimately, lawyers will figure this out...

forbin404 said:
I was looking at the Kia manual recently and it says to use the DCFC once a day.

Could you scan or take a picture of that quote for us and post it up here?

JoulesThief said:
forbin404 said:
I was looking at the Kia manual recently and it says to use the DCFC once a day.

Located on the main page, not the manual

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/ev-faqs_2016/charging/overview

Can I "fast charge" my car every day?
Yes, it is safe to fast charge your car once per day at 480 volts. However, to maximize the lifespan of your battery, we recommend Level 2, 240v charging for everyday use.

FYI: A Nice feature on on the Kia Soul EV is that it has a manual Lock Release next to the charger.

forbin404 said:
JoulesThief said:
forbin404 said:

Located on the main page, not the manual

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/ev-faqs_2016/charging/overview

Can I "fast charge" my car every day?
Yes, it is safe to fast charge your car once per day at 480 volts. However, to maximize the lifespan of your battery, we recommend Level 2, 240v charging for everyday use.

FYI: A Nice feature on on the Kia Soul EV is that it has a manual Lock Release next to the charger.

It does NOT say to use DCFC once a day. It says it is safe to fast charge your care once per day at 480V. It is tempered by a "HOWEVER" statement for best use recommendation being level 2, 240V. You DEFINITELY have a reading comprehension problem.

From the Soul EV battery warranty:

"The Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery (“EV Battery”) Capacity warranty coverage period is 10 years or 100,000 miles from the Date of First Service, whichever comes first, for capacity loss below 70% of the original battery capacity. This warranty covers repairs needed to return battery capacity to 70% of original battery capacity. If possible, the EV battery components will be repaired or replaced, and the original EV Battery will be returned to the vehicle. If necessary, the EV Battery will be replaced with either a new or remanufactured Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery. Any repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Polymer
Battery Capacity Coverage may not return your Lithium-Ion Battery to an “as new” condition with the original 100% battery capacity. However, it will
provide the vehicle with an EV Battery capacity of New Vehicle Limited Warranty at least 70% of the original battery capacity. This Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage is subject to the exclusions listed under the section “What is Not Covered."

Upon reading the "What is not covered" section of the warranty, I found that DC Fast charging use does not invalidate the battery pack warranty coverage.

The Soul EV battery has a better warranty than does the VW e-Golf battery. Also, the Soul EV has active air mediated temperature control for the battery, which is not as good as active liquid temperature control, but it does prolong the life of the battery primarily because high temperatures kill this type of battery.

Just using your own words at you Joules.

(Only for older VW members - Remember the talk about pushing the mode button while moving?)

From Kia:

“ The second port is a CHAdeMO port, which is for 480v charging.”

480 V charging is DC Fast Charging.

I expect CCS to surpass Chademo in the US based on:

1) the number of manufacturers that support CCS vs. Chademo, and
2) no need to have a second charging port

2016golfse said:
I expect CCS to surpass Chademo in the US based on:

1) the number of manufacturers that support CCS vs. Chademo, and
2) no need to have a second charging port

IMHO, you are probably correct. That and General Motors, and Chevy Bolt take that type of charger handle also. Lower manufacturing costs. I can tell you though, that I once found it a bitch to plug in a CCS in a pitch dark parking lot at the Los Angeles Zoo at night. The cable is quite heavy, and there's no way to see at night a black handle going into a black port, with no available lighting to see that everything is aligned. The CCS cable is really quite heavy also, and pulls downwards heavily on the charge port on the e-Golf. The charge port has to support the weight of the cable and handle while charging.... Not in my opinion a good design.

JoulesThief said:
IMHO, you are probably correct. That and General Motors, and Chevy Bolt take that type of charger handle also.

As well as Honda (see Clarity photos) despite being a Japanese manufacturer.

I believe both CHAdeMO and CCS will be around in the long term. Both can handle 150 kW charge rates, though good luck finding either a car or a station that can uses that rate (Ioniq EV can take 100 kW) today. The Leaf will keep CHAdeMO alive, I believe. All the new 50 kW DCFC stations I see are both CCS and CHAdeMO, party because Japanese companies are paying for the stations. The CCS-only stations that I've used are unreliable IES Synergy units that only deliver 21 kW (no future-proofing to be found in these crappy units). Also, CCS has the Type 1 and Type 2 plugs, while CHAdeMO is a true world standard with one plug. They both work fine, they both need heavy wires and plugs to handle the amps, and yes, a bit less space is needed on the car for CCS, but I think that's a minor concern if you're designing a car.

JoulesThief said:
I can tell you though, that I once found it a bitch to plug in a CCS in a pitch dark parking lot at the Los Angeles Zoo at night. The cable is quite heavy, and there's no way to see at night a black handle going into a black port, with no available lighting to see that everything is aligned. The CCS cable is really quite heavy also, and pulls downwards heavily on the charge port on the e-Golf. The charge port has to support the weight of the cable and handle while charging.... Not in my opinion a good design.

I find that unlike with J1772, CCS isn't practical to try to plug in with just one hand; the cable is simply too unwieldy as you found out. But with one hand on the charging handle, and one hand supporting the weight of the cable, I don't think it's all that difficult even at night.

I do agree that VW should put a light in the charging compartment; Nissan has done that starting with the 2013 models, at the suggestion of Leaf owners.

Back