VW ElectricGate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egolfEr

I have been noticing that my 2016 eGolf is not really reporting the mi/kw correctly. It feels like it is inflating the numbers. Recently, I charged the battery completely. I then proceeded to drive 28 miles. My batter gauge was showing that I had used (5 out of 16 bars on battery gauge) 31.25% of the battery.

24.2 kw battery x 31.25% = 7.5625 Kw used

28 mi / 7.5625 kwh = 3.70 mi/Kwh. The car is reporting I am getting 4.4 mi / Kwh

Anyone else seeing these anomalies?

1) Did you use from Charged?

2) Did you allow I think it's 2 hours between tests?

There's a weird thing on the display that if you stop the car, do something short time, and go, it will merge the two times together.

Nothing is wrong. The fuel gauge shows net capacity, not gross capacity. Since the maximum net capacity is 85.33%, at full, your battery has 20.65 kWh of energy.

20.65 kWh* 0.3125=6.453 kWh used

28/6.453=4.33 miles/kWh

The car's estimate of 4.4 miles/kWh is correct as this calculation has some sloppiness due to the lack of precision on the max net capacity and % used.

Thank you for the math help. Yes, I now recall not all of the 24.2kw was usable.

I remember it was closer to 22kw, and not 20.x. Is there any documentation on this posted elsewhere?

Good point. It’s hard to be sure of the real net capacity, but that’s my best guess based on all the information I’ve seen. Also, I was told by VW Customer Care that the starting net capacity, for warranty claims, is 64 Ah, but this was only over the telephone (Thus, 64/75=0.853 starting net capacity). I have been unable to find this number documented anywhere. If our cars had a 50 or 60 kWh battery pack, the difference of a few kWh would hardly matter. Of course, to us, a few kWh is pretty significant.

Back