One Year Energy Analysis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RecoverE

A year ago I installed an energy meter, EKM-251DS, on the supply side of my Level 2 EVSE. I wanted to understand total charging energy consumption for my 2015 eGolf SEL, including distribution, charging, and battery losses. During the past year the vehicle consumed 2123.11KwH for a traveled distance of 8241 miles. These figures yield an efficiency of 3.88mi/KwH in mainly a two lane town/country driving environment with a rough elevation topology of 600 ft. Also annual temperature extremes range roughly from 5 to 95 degrees F. The eco modes were rarely used.

Given my utility energy cost of $0.13/KwH, my fuel cost for miles traveled was $276.00, or $0.033/mi., or 30.3 miles/$. If I assume $2.40/Gal for regular gasoline (vs the EPA methodology of 33.7KwH/Gal), my calculated MPGe is 73miles/Gal vs the EPA figure of 116.

My calculated KW-hrs per 100 miles is 26 vs EPA @ 29.

Finally, in comparing the fuel costs for the eGolf against the vehicle which it replaced, a 2012 VW CC, I save $680 per year on fuel assuming the same annual mileage and 25mpg @ $2.90/Gal (premium) for the ICE vehicle. I figure 9 years to recover the cost of the EV based on fuel savings alone for a EV with a $6000 premium. However, no regrets on the purchase decision and calculated figures will change as fuel prices change.

With electricity rates of $0.08 24 hours/day and gas at $2.80/gal here, I am loving my 2017!

tbier said:
With electricity rates of $0.08 24 hours/day and gas at $2.80/gal here, I am loving my 2017!

:cry:

Here, if you do not program your timer correctly, you can pay $ 0.157/kWh at peak rate. I do get $ 0.077/kWh off-peak.

About $0.18 a kWh here with City of Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, any time, if you stay within your first tier rate, under 800 kWh per month. LADWP also reserves the right to shut off your power, brown you out, or black you out, during high energy useage periods, like during heat waves of summer with high humidity factor. You have to sign that agreement. Which means you could be dead in the water, going nowhere, with no way to recharge, when you might really need a charge.

cattlerepairman said:
Here, if you do not program your timer correctly, you can pay $ 0.157/kWh at peak rate.

$0.15 / kW would be a bargain for us in California. I'm still on PG&E's E6 plan and pay $0.17 on tier 1 but once I exceed 250 kW in a month, eventhe off-peak rate jumps to $0.25 and it actually gets slightly cheaper to pay for public L2 stations.

I'll be switching to their EV-A plan in the spring as I've concluded the car accounts for 2/3rd of my electric usage, so getting the lowest possible off-peak rate will save me the most money.

I switched from E6 to EVA a few months ago. I shifted my energy use to cheaper periods (laundry and dishwasher) at the same time and now average 17 cents per kWh.

Back