2018 Review in Canada

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is my understanding that it is not a 2018, but rather a 2017. The YouTube video producer mis-identified it as a 2018 and InsideEVs took their word for it.

It's a 2017. This is the demo car at the EV discovery centre on finch -> https://plugndrive.ca/electric-vehicle-discovery-centre

Don't mind the green one in the photo. That was VW's corporate demo when the centre opened in May. The eGolf was absent from the centre from May to a few weeks ago.

I'll be going to the centre soon to allow my wife to compare the i3, Bolt, Leaf and eGolf to confirm I made the right choice.

miimura said:
It is my understanding that it is not a 2018, but rather a 2017. The YouTube video producer mis-identified it as a 2018 and InsideEVs took their word for it.

I was thinking the same thing but since I was posting from my phone I just went with it. It is a shame he didn't educate himself with the car more prior to driving it. I mean, comparing it to a City Golf, a 10 year old City Golf! That was a little comical. It would have also been nice if he was more up to speed on the regenerative modes as well and he didn't even mention the normal, ECO, or ECO+ driving modes.

Anthony

I think those e Golfs are going to be the most popular at all the times!! since i've got myself one i've been in less of depression. lol.

Hi all, new to this forum as I'm potentially shopping for an E-Golf for family. The review mentioned above was done by myself and Trevor who produce a YouTube show called "Model 3 Owners Club". Originally started as a resource to build the Model 3 reservationist community, we've since changed the show to be more than just the Model 3 and Tesla. We are more of an EV News Show focusing on the BEV part of the EV industry.

The comments about our lacklustre review on the E-Golf are well founded and I apologize. We were squeezed for time that day and only had an opportunity to do a quick review which was put together hastily. There were many things we could have done better in properly representing the E-Golf that day.

However, we did do another initial information update on a previous show last year February, when we were at the CIAS and interviewed the Canadian Product Manager for the E-Golf from VW Canada. That interview has some good information you may wish to look at.

Moving forward, I've watched many reviews now of the E-Golf as well as taking it for a test drive myself recently. I can say that it is a great car and drives/handles as you would expect an EV/Golf to do so. The interior is far superior to the Bolt/Leaf 2.0/Ford Focus EV cars and of course is not comparable to the Telsa Model 3 for many reasons.

I can tell you in doing pricing on various models, the E-Golf and new Nissan Leaf are very close (I'm seeing within a couple of hundred dollars apart after rebate discounts and tax). The Bolt is higher priced as it should be with the very big pack. The Model 3 is even higher as Tesla is only producing certain models/packages and they all start at higher pricing and the wait is long.

After driving both the E-Golf and new Leaf recently, I can recommend that either is a great choice for a mid-range (150-250KM) BEV. Both have some pros and cons so it would come down to your driving comfort, ergonomics, features, etc. The Bolt and Model 3 I would classify as higher-range BEV's (+300KMs) and they come with higher pricing.

I would strongly recommend anyone looking at these cars to test drive and make sure it fits for you. Case in point: my family was excited about the Bolt and we took one for a drive recently. However, my wife is petit and as such in order to reach the pedals she has to have the driver's seat all the way forward, which in turn put the steering wheel in her mid-area, right up close. The Bolt does NOT have telescoping steering wheel adjustments, only tilt. So in my particular case, no matter what the features and range of the Bolt, it does not work for us simply for that reason. My wife could not drive it comfortably and safely

Things like this you cannot get from reviews or reading write ups. Only from personal experience and seeing them for yourselves.

Hope this info is helpful and I'd be open to answering any other questions or responding to comments. Thanks, Ken

Back