Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Advice for buying a used E-Golf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:25 pm 

msvphoto wrote:
All excellent information and advice. Thank you both, JoulesThief and f1geek.

There is no charge percentage in CarNet any longer that I can see, either on the App (Android version) or the browser based version. Am I missing something?

On a desktop computer resize the window very narrow and the formatting will change. There used to be a battery percentage in that format in very small text.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:27 pm 

msvphoto wrote:
All excellent information and advice. Thank you both, JoulesThief and f1geek.

There is no charge percentage in CarNet any longer that I can see, either on the App (Android version) or the browser based version. Am I missing something?

I use and save the browser based version on my Android based phone. Run portrait, you should see a % of charge, run landscape, you should see miles remaining.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:53 pm 

Wow, that is strange. Got it on the desktop by resizing the window really narrow. I normally run the app, not browser based, on Android but I can see how rotating the phone may act the same way if using a browser. The App does not appear to display % at all best I can tell.

Thank you both for the tip, I can see % of charge now so I can start some calculatin' and see how the battery is holding up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:44 pm 

You can buy mine if you can wait until early April. 2015 black SEL, <19,000 miles, excellent shape, never been fast charged, only L2 charged.

I'm turning it in early April at Galpin in LA. No idea what the residual is, cause I never intended to keep it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm 

eGolfeGirl wrote:
You can buy mine if you can wait until early April. 2015 black SEL, <19,000 miles, excellent shape, never been fast charged, only L2 charged.

I'm turning it in early April at Galpin in LA. No idea what the residual is, cause I never intended to keep it.

I think he already bought his used?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:41 pm 

Thanks for the offer... however I am looking for a car sooner than April, and in the Norther CA area.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:33 pm 

Hope you find a great one! There should be lots of options up there for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 pm 

ckamas wrote:
Thanks for the offer... however I am looking for a car sooner than April, and in the Norther CA area.

I have a white 2015 SEL with 31,200 miles. White with the black leatherette interior. I leased a Bolt a few months ago and have stopped driving the E-Golf. I have 10 payments remaining on my lease, and my total payoff as of today is $15.7k ($13.4k residual + 10 payments of $230). I've been thinking about selling it, but not sure how the sales tax on the buyoff would work. I'm in Point Richmond (near the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge). Let me know if you're seriously interested.

My interior is like brand new, I have two sets of floor mats (all weather OEM and the regular cloth ones), along with a set of OEM window shades that snap into place for the rear two windows and the back hatch window. Only issues are that one of the wheels has a small scratch from rubbing a curb while parallel parking and there are a couple rock chips in the front bumper and hood from daily driving on interstate 80. I've never actually used a DC fast charger, but I know it has the SAE Combo port since its an SEL. I've noticed no degradation in range since the day I leased it (1/1/16). I charge on an L2 at work and at home overnight, I never really drained it since I had chargers at both ends of my commute and never used it for anything other than commuting to work.

I can look into paying it off and selling it to you if you're seriously interested.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm 

Sorry to say, but at 31,000 miles, your car's battery has probably degraded. Even though you haven't performed any DCFCs, like VW says, capacity decreases with time and use. If anyone on this forum is interested in this or any other used e-Golf, I would highly recommend performing a test to determine the battery's true capacity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 am 

f1geek wrote:
Sorry to say, but at 31,000 miles, your car's battery has probably degraded. Even though you haven't performed any DCFCs, like VW says, capacity decreases with time and use. If anyone on this forum is interested in this or any other used e-Golf, I would highly recommend performing a test to determine the battery's true capacity.

I actually hadn't experience noticeable degradation. I drive the same number of miles to work and back every single day and I check the SOC with car-net every time I get home and every time I get to work. When I drive 35 miles home after charging to 100% and keep my speed on the highway at 60mph, I get home with 59% to 61% SOC. That has been the same since I leased the car. The cold would slightly affect it, but once it warmed up last week I commuted in the E-Golf to work and back and confirmed I'm still getting the same SOC remaining as I would during my commute when I first leased the car. I think the fact that I never used a fast charger and the fact I never drained the battery down low and recharged a large percentage at once has helped keep it from seeing degradation.

In any case, I got some appraisals from dealers and decided to sell it last night. Sold it for an even $13k. The VW dealer had me pay them the difference between the buyout of $15.4k and $13k, so I just wrote them a check for $2,400 and said goodbye to my little E-Golf. My remaining lease payments with sales tax would have cost me $2,600, and I would have had an additional $400 disposition fee, at least $200 for being over the allowed miles on the lease, and likely dinged with a wear and tear because of the curb rash and rock chips. To get rid of it for a $2,400 payment versus at least $3,200 seemed like a good deal to not have any more headache. Also didn't realize I was paying close to $100/mo in insurance, so that saves me another $1,000 over the next 10 months.