2017 eGolf with DAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarity23

I’ve been in contact with a dealership about a Black on Black egolf SEL with DAP. It finally came in today from port and the dealer told me to come in. We have not yet negotiated price at all. I’m a bit worried that because I’ve seemed so eager to get my hands on the vehicle that I won’t be able to talk him down as he’ll probably suggest that he will just sell it to the next guy in line. It’s been hard to find the car so I’m Worried about losing out on it but I also don’t want to get ripped off.

Anyone think I can expect to pay less than sticker? I’m also going to look at leases but I’m about $5,000 upside down in my current car so I need to take that into account as well. I think financing now is 0% which is enticing and I believe $4,000 credit from VW. Plus I should qualify for the $7500 and $2500 from CA which lowers the ownership cost. I saw another post that said they expected to pay about $541/mo for $12k Miles. I think I could own the car for about $100 more than that and I’d be fine to run this into the ground and use my wife’s car for longer trips.

ANyone else get any deals on the SEL with DAP? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Of all the East Bay VW dealers I went round and round with, Oakland VW was the most aggressive with their pricing, and the most transparent with the numbers. I told them the features, even the color I wanted and they found the car, I almost made a deal without setting foot on their lot. Instead I found a pre-owned eGolf elsewhere.

Any dealer can get you the car you want, even if it's not on their lot. Dealers trade cars all the time. Also as it's the end of the month, many dealers are trying to hit a quota that gets them a big kick back from the manufacturer. They will often lose money on a sale to hit the quota.

Just an fyi to follow up.

Bought the car from Pacific VW, who sold it to me for $33,600. I think I got a pretty good deal. sunnyvale would have sold it to me for about $32,000, but I’m not driving a car that has a 125 mile range from Northern California to Southern California. Haha.

Also, how does VW NOT put electric seat adjusters in this car??? Still manual in the SEL!! Crazy.

My guess would be they left out the power seats in order to save weight, I pulled some actuators out of a BMW seat once and each one was probably 7-8 lbs, multiply by 3 actuators and two seats and that's a pretty good weight savings. Even windshields these days are ultra-thin to save a couple pounds, which is great for the mobile glass repair guys.

I purchased a 2017 SEL with DAP from Capitol in San Jose. Using Truecar as a starting point, I negotiated $4k off list over email. I thought that was a good deal, but it appears better deals are to be had. I bought first week in Dec because I figured the tax credit would be killed and there were a lot of EV sales at that time. With the tax credit extended there's less urgency on the part of buyers. Plus, I imagine the new Leaf finally rolling into dealerships is putting downward pressure on eGolf prices.

So far, very happy with the car. It's more efficient than I expected; yesterday I charged to 90%, drove 82 miles round trip to work and had 58 miles left when I got home. Mostly freeway driving (though around here that doesn't mean you're going fast). I'm averaging 4.3 - 4.5 miles/kWh overall, which is about 150 MPGe. And the adaptive cruise control is a joy. I have a long commute and I can mostly just zone out and listen to an audiobook. You still have to look out the window and keep it in lane, but it's a great stress reliever, especially in stop-and-go traffic.

Do you drive in Lane departure assistance?.
I had 2017 wit DAP too, when I drive with Adaptive Cruise & Lane departure assistance , very nice, almost like " auto pilot", both street & hi way ( 50-120 kmh ).

I leave the lane assist on. It's helpful, but not an autopilot by any stretch. It will keep you from drifting out of your lane if you're not paying attention. And it will add resistance to the steering if you attempt to change lanes without signaling. However, it's not aggressive enough to keep you from bumping into the car next to you on the freeway; it doesn't start correcting until your wheels touch the line.

Voltron said:
I purchased a 2017 SEL with DAP from Capitol in San Jose. Using Truecar as a starting point, I negotiated $4k off list over email. I thought that was a good deal, but it appears better deals are to be had. I bought first week in Dec because I figured the tax credit would be killed and there were a lot of EV sales at that time. With the tax credit extended there's less urgency on the part of buyers. Plus, I imagine the new Leaf finally rolling into dealerships is putting downward pressure on eGolf prices.

Was yours a purchase or a lease? Was it a monumental effort to get the $4k off? Did you finance and if so what rate did you get? If you did buy and finance, VW Credit have been offering $4k off MSRP and 0% APR for several months now - was that the $4k you got (if so, the dealership really did give you a deal)?
I also want an SEL with DAP, but over here on the east coast (I'm in MA) they are as rare as hen's teeth - the dealerships know it and you'd be lucky to get $500 off MSRP if you can find one. The *only* DAP equipped e-Golf I'm actually considering buying it in CA and paying to ship it over...

I purchased (drive too many miles to lease).

Here's my car-buying process: I figure out what I want, test drive, etc. Then I figure out what I'm willing to pay and email a specific offer that's a bit lower to all the dealers in the area. In this case, my minimum discount was $3500 (based on Truecar, and what I could find out about incentives). I emailed my offer on Friday. Capitol was the first to respond with "yes;" Stevens Creek claimed they would lose money on the deal. At the time, there was no published incentive on 2017s (there were big discounts on 2016's) but I did get the 0% financing. At one point, the sales rep walked away and I looked at his computer screen and it looked like there were $4000 in incentives from VW, but it was hard to understand.

The rep claimed that his incentive plan was based on volume, not sales price and that seems to be the case as they didn't counter offer and I was in and out of there in about 90 minutes.

Probably could have gotten a bigger discount on an SE, but really wanted the SEL with DAP.

Thanks very much for responding Voltron. When was it you made your purchase? And just so I understand it clearly, you purchased (i.e. didn't finance) and effectively you paid MSRP less $4k. This isn't counting any state and federal incentives. Right?

Back