New EVgo plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustboy

Take a look at the new EVgo plans, they seem to have ditched the session fees. My charging just got a lot cheaper.

Much more reasonable, I'd actually consider using EVgo stations now. Plus the monthly plan now pays for itself with just one use per month, instead of once per week.

Cheaper depends on the situation. I'm on pay-as-you-go, which is $4.95 per session + 20 cents per minute for that "just in case" scenario. Under the new rate plan, I'm assuming that after the introductory offer, they'll charge 35 cents a minute in California. At any charge session longer than 33 minutes, the new rate plan will actually cost more than the old pay-as-you-go.

2016golfse said:
Cheaper depends on the situation. I'm on pay-as-you-go, which is $4.95 per session + 20 cents per minute for that "just in case" scenario. Under the new rate plan, I'm assuming that after the introductory offer, they'll charge 35 cents a minute in California. At any charge session longer than 33 minutes, the new rate plan will actually cost more than the old pay-as-you-go.
The old Flex plan was $10.95 for a 30 minute session and you had to pay the session fee again to start the charger again. Even after they raise the per minute price to $0.35/minute, you will still only pay $10.50 for the same 30 minutes. To me, the biggest benefit is that you can charge for only 10 or 15 minutes for a reasonable price without the session fee. So, to me it's a win-win. In addition, they have moved the auto-shutoff to 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes if you're on the new plans.

The only people who shouldn't go on the new plans are people who got the original $15/month plan and only pay $0.10/minute. For those heavy users, they can still come out ahead by staying on the grandfathered plan.

2016golfse said:

I was on that plan, paying $11-12 for a charge sucked. I'd steer toward the ChargePoint stations even though it would take way more time and only give me barely enough charge to get home. The new plans seem like a win-win.

If the session on the old Flex plan has increased to 45-60 minutes (which I don't know if that's the case or not), then wouldn't the old Flex plan be cheaper for any session longer than 33 minutes?

2016golfse said:
If the session on the old Flex plan has increased to 45-60 minutes (which I don't know if that's the case or not), then wouldn't the old Flex plan be cheaper for any session longer than 33 minutes?
The Flex plan was a session fee plus $0.20/minute. The current promotion in California is also $0.20/minute with no session fee, so no matter how long, paying any session fee is more expensive. Of course, when the price goes up, there would be some session length that could be cheaper. If the price is $0.25/minute, it would take 100 minutes of charging with a $0.05 margin to make up the $4.95 session fee. If the price is $0.35/minute, it would take only 33 minutes with a $0.15 margin to make up the session fee.

In any case, if you remain on the Flex plan, the charger will still shut off after 30 or 31 minutes.

I just charged our e-Golf last weekend on the new plan and paying only $3.40 for 17 minutes was really nice. That got me another 40 miles of range and made my 100 mile round trip easy and I had 20 miles of range left over when I got home. Getting rid of the session fee encourages people to only use the equipment for only the time that they really need. I used to feel like I had to charge for the full 30 minutes to get my money's worth.

miimura said:
Getting rid of the session fee encourages people to only use the equipment for only the time that they really need. I used to feel like I had to charge for the full 30 minutes to get my money's worth
Exactly. For me being able to cost-effectively charge for a short time (and not have to do the math on how long I have to charge to make it "worth it") more than makes up for the potentially higher cost of longer sessions.

Back