Fast charge retrofit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzbomb

We just bought a low mile '16 with the standard charger on board. Does anyone know if you could somehow retrofit the upgraded fast charge capability? I assume the charging port would swap out easily, but would the on-board charger swap out without a major operation? Does anyone know if you could even purchase an OEM "kit" from somewhere, maybe from a wrecked car with the option and install it yourself?

Theoretically it's possible, and you shouldn't have to touch the on-board charger which afaik is only used for AC charging; DC fast charging is a more or less direct connection to the battery. That said, I have no idea if anyone's done it or how you'd go about it.

The main problem with doing the retrofit is that the high voltage harness is connected to the charge port and you have to drop the battery pack in order to replace that harness. Then there is the not so small matter of making sure all the car computer configurations are correct for fast charging.

Maybe feasible if you are a _very_ experienced diy wrench. This might have the parts you need: https://www.copart.com/lot/22616478/Photos

Module coding could be a challenge (if hard coded to the car's vin for example) since I doubt you'll get much help from VW.

More than I would want to take on but I would not say it is impossible.

I don't know if it's possible with an eGolf, but I have heard of it being done to a Nissan Leaf. It's NOT a job for the faint of heart; a significant portion of the car's EV system had to be swapped out from a wrecked donor car.

Buzzbomb said:
We just bought a low mile '16 with the standard charger on board. Does anyone know if you could somehow retrofit the upgraded fast charge capability? I assume the charging port would swap out easily, but would the on-board charger swap out without a major operation? Does anyone know if you could even purchase an OEM "kit" from somewhere, maybe from a wrecked car with the option and install it yourself?

Did you get anywhere with this?

The main problem of such a retrofit is that HV battery of a non-DC car doesn't contain DC socket in rear part, DC lines and contactors inside the shell. Very likely HVB control module J840 isn't programmed to switch DC coils as well.

Back