Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good practices for longer battery life
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:57 pm 

Thanks. I had such good luck charging at 0.1C on my '13 Volt that I'm inclined to stick with that. It also allows me to be sure I'm shaving the maximal amount of kWhs from my solar array. That produces at a typical bell curve shape from about 8 am to 1 pm, so I can be sure I'm drawing entirely and only from that if I charge at 3.1 kWs for several hours in the middle. A higher rate would mean grid power for the slightest cloud, and long stretches where the car was done charging.

A good chunk of my frustration comes from my charging experience after my return from my last trip. I set it to charge from 8 am to 12:30 pm at 3.1 kWs, but made the mistake of setting the limit at 80%. The battery was at 25% when I got back, so it started charging at about 6:30 am to make sure it hit 80% by 12:30 pm, even though that was outside my off-peak setting. So I payed retail for the extra amount, and I had to sell more of my production the following day at 3 cents a kWh, rather than put it into my car. If my utility doesn't want my power, I'd rather keep it for myself. Next time I'll spend the minute or two to do the math and set a more appropriate limit.

GM has three charging modes- immediate, departure time, and off-peak. And you can prioritize off peak and allow peak, or allow only off-peak. I'm amazed VW's engineers left that out entirely. GM's set up is simpler, and more functional.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm 

Have you in the e-Manager created a Charging Location with the off peak hours and then assigned it to a Departure time?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 am 

Thank you for the video. That was very useful. So the maximum charge setting is inside each 'location'. The car manual is very big and I am still skimming through it. I wish VW has small help bulbs on the system (similar to digital cameras). Also there does not seem to be any soft copy of the manual available.

SocaleGolf wrote:
This link takes you to a video that goes through the e-manager settings. Hope it helps.

Code:
https://youtu.be/B7NpXhFHwlk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:10 pm 

The manual is huge, confusing much of the time, and poorly laid out. In the 2017 manual the Start Engine procedure is on page 212. Maybe the wanted to make sure you read everything before that.

I did find a 2015 online copy https://carmanuals2.com/get/volkswagen- ... nual-88312

When I contacted VW Chat regarding an online or pdf version I was told " there is not a timeframe on when one would be available, regretfully." So I am not holding my brief on this one. Glad you find the video helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:30 am 

SocaleGolf wrote:
Have you in the e-Manager created a Charging Location with the off peak hours and then assigned it to a Departure time?

Absolutely. That's where most of my frustration stems from. The departure time, the limit setting, and the off peak hours fight with each other. There's no way to get them into full agreement. And the math to get them even close is completely unnecessarily burdensome. The protocols should simply ask you to prioritize which ones should rule.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:24 am 

EdWNorris wrote:
SocaleGolf wrote:

Absolutely. That's where most of my frustration stems from. The departure time, the limit setting, and the off peak hours fight with each other. There's no way to get them into full agreement. And the math to get them even close is completely unnecessarily burdensome. The protocols should simply ask you to prioritize which ones should rule.

The only way I found for the system to work predictably on my 2015, back in 2015, was to disable the Off-Peak function. That leaves simple departure time math based on SOC and EVSE voltage and amperage. When I tested it in detail back then, I found that the 240V 30 amp charging finished within +/- 5 minutes of the departure time and the provided 120V charge cord finished about 30 minutes late after running for 10 hours.