Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there a way to see battery percentage or charge rates?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:00 pm 

I got my 2017 SE last week and am new to the forum and have a few questions I can't find an answer to.

Is there any way to see a percent (%) charge? Or is it just estimated miles and the gas tank inspired gauge?

Also, is there any way to see incoming charge rate? Voltage and amperage would be awesome, but even just power (kw) would be very nice to see.

I get the electric "tachometer" but would like to see how much power the motor is spending or recuperating. I guess its easy enough (given the 100 kw motor) to do know that 2, or 20% power, is drawing 20kwh from the battery. I'd also liek to see how much power climate control is using other than by calculating the delta on the estimated range.

Thanks for the help and I really hope this data is available. I got used to it real quick on our Pacifica Hybrid and really miss it on the golf. Otherwise I love my golf. Getting 150 miles on a charge. Tomorrow will be my first DC charge so we'll see how that goes.

Post subject: Re: Is there a way to see battery percentage or charge rates
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:13 pm 

short answers..

1) No

2) No

3) I want that too but VW doesn't want you know that specific about their product.

2015 Fiat 500e (Returned)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:40 am 

tbier wrote:
Is there any way to see a percent (%) charge? Or is it just estimated miles and the gas tank inspired gauge?
See Traction battery SoC % no longer reported by new Car-Net.com for this. I can only assume it works on all versions/years of e-Golf, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:31 am 

Battery Percentage trick: Log into the CarNet web site and resize the window to a narrow format so that the three-bar "hamburger menu" appears in the upper right hand corner. It will format as below, showing the battery SOC as an integer percentage. This is our 2015. I assume the US model 2017 e-Golf will work the same way. You will also notice that the Flash, Honk, and Unlock are grayed out because we have fallen back to the basic EV-only service after the full trial expired.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm 

Interesting hack! But boy is this stupid that this is the only way to get that information. Car-net is certainly one of the weaker apps out there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:02 pm 

miimura wrote:
Battery Percentage trick: Log into the CarNet web site and resize the window to a narrow format so that the three-bar "hamburger menu" appears in the upper right hand corner. It will format as below, showing the battery SOC as an integer percentage. This is our 2015. I assume the US model 2017 e-Golf will work the same way. You will also notice that the Flash, Honk, and Unlock are grayed out because we have fallen back to the basic EV-only service after the full trial expired.

Thumbs up!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 pm 

The trick only seems to work with the web browser based version, not the smartphone app. Or at least I couldn't get the app to display percentage and it took me coming back to ask again on the forum how to get % to display.

After tracking estimated charge capacity for a while now using % with an equation from an earlier thread I am of the opinion that either capacity varies (could be due to cold temperatures) or the % indication is not all that accurate. I am getting variation in calculated estimated capacity of around 1.6kWh between highest and lowest capacity estimates for a dozen charge cycles tracked since 2/11/2018. Because of the variation I added a running average to the spreadsheet to see trends over time (currently at 18.33kWh usable capacity at ~36k miles on a 2015).

1983 Audi Ur Quattro "the garage queen" looks pretty and appreciates daily

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:13 pm 

forbin404 wrote:
short answers..

1) No

2) No

3) I want that too but VW doesn't want you know that specific about their product.

lots of thanks! was having same questions as OP and i found your short, really useful answers! if i would have some other questions, can i ask you them? thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:31 am 

tbier wrote:
...ge rate? Voltage and amperage would be awesome, but even just power (kw) would be very nice to see.

You can see voltage and amperage if you have the digital cockpit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTdfbtZWXY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:56 pm 

ichwoo wrote:
tbier wrote:
...ge rate? Voltage and amperage would be awesome, but even just power (kw) would be very nice to see.

You can see voltage and amperage if you have the digital cockpit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTdfbtZWXY

How? Those numbers are just being overlayed on top of the time lapse of charging the car.