Coasting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owo

It sometimes feels like I can't read anything about EVs without reference made to "one-pedal driving" and how it's the "way of the future" and how many EV owners "can't go back" after trying it, so in the interest of balance, this post is dedicated to everyone else: literally anyone who doesn't think so-called one-pedal driving is the best thing since sliced bread.

Personally, I absolutely love the e-Golf's default no-passive-regen drive mode, which allows you to coast more freely than any ICE car. I love long gradual declines where I can hit the perfect speed and then let off the pedals and glide for what feels like miles. I love seeing the real-time Economy gauge climb into the double digits and then roll over to "--.-" and try to spend as much time there as possible.

And yes, I know it's technically possible to coast with one-pedal but I'm not interested in constantly modulating the pedal to the exact degree necessary to accomplish that. For me, coasting is the default; coasting should be effortless, because coasting itself is effortless. And correct me if I'm wrong, but barring long downhill stretches, coasting is inherently more energy-efficient than recovering only a fraction of the kinetic energy through regenerative braking.

So here's to you, coasting.

/\ My thoughts exactly. IMHO, one pedal driving is for lazy drivers. If you're going to be that lazy, take public transportation instead, because one pedal driving will never be as efficient as free wheeling and coasting. Can't defy the laws of physics, minimizing the losses of kinetic energy in motion is always the key to efficiency, not losses due to heat charging and discharging a battery.

I'd love to see some more drivers here that can exceed 6 miles per kwh or more, long term, sustained over 2500 to 3000 miles of operation. Let's see it show up in your long term charging specs under "Drivers Data".

Coasting is the way to use any car efficiently. Braking, doesn't matter it is friction brake or regen brake, should always be avoided for the best efficiency.

I agree. I keep trying the various levels of regen, but always end up with the coast setting (and love it).
I do, however, like some regen while driving in congested traffic, or down a long hill.

Hear, hear, hear!

We just a 2017 to replace our 2015, and as much as I like our Bolt EV - getting to coast again (without having to shift into neutral) was a great relief.

Our 2015 had Continental tires, which are decidedly mediocre at coasting; and our 2017 has Ecopia tires - which are awesome at coasting.

The only other EV that I know of that coasts be default, is the Ioniq. Has anybody driven one of these?

I have a technical question about coasting. A coil of wire moving in a magnet is going to generate electricity, so if it's not being used to recharge the batteries, where would it go? I'm pretty sure that if it was just being dumped somewhere (like into a big resistor) there would still be drag generated.
I assume that in coasting mode the transmission must actually disconnect the wheels from the motor, effectively automatically shifting into neutral, but it's certainly seamless in the eGolf.

GadgetGav said:
I have a technical question about coasting. A coil of wire moving in a magnet is going to generate electricity, so if it's not being used to recharge the batteries, where would it go? I'm pretty sure that if it was just being dumped somewhere (like into a big resistor) there would still be drag generated.
I seem to recall reading somewhere (maybe on this forum?) that the e-Golf actually recharges very slightly while coasting, although I don't remember how they were able to determine this.

No, in D the e-Golf (and the Ioniq EV) coast - and generate no electricity, when you lift your right foot.

Put it in D1 to see what a little bit of regen feels like.

Live data from the car's diagnostics shows some regen while coasting in "D".

It certainly doesn't roll as far as a manual car in neutral, even one without LRR tires.

Verkehr said:
Live data from the car's diagnostics shows some regen while coasting in "D".

It certainly doesn't roll as far as a manual car in neutral, even one without LRR tires.

Are you certain you aren’t in D1-3? When in D on my 2017 it rolls smoother than any manual I’ve driven and I do not see it adding any regen. The instantaneous economy will show high double digits then - - when it’s over 99.9 mpkwh.

Yes, I am certain the vehicle is in "D" mode. Here is what I'm taking about.

uzKkvZs.png
DnG7nYt.png
X0MwGOS.png

Compare with the 2016 e-golf pinned at top speed:
HABsbS4.png

@Verkehr Thanks for the data! What equipment/app are you using to see that?

That doesn't show what drive mode you were in, or anything else, that I can see.

Where is regen shown?

The e-Golf coasts in D. It only has regen in D1, D2, D3, or B modes.

The app is obdeleven pro. I should point out that the apparent regen in D is slight but perhaps we're never truly "coasting" in a vehicle without a third pedal :p

Back