2015-6 e-Golf HVAC 72F fix Tech Tip 87-15-02

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NeilBlanchard said:
Why can't a dealer near you do it?

Neil,
You’re right, a dealer near me likely can do it..
But that’s not the issue at hand.
I was hoping that have gone through the process, you would take mine and get it fixed for me.
Well that’s not going to happen due to your choice to live in MA.

All the best

Barry

Sunnyvale VW did my 2015, probably two years ago, without any hassle or payment required. I had the car in for other work at the time though.

I wanted to get this fixed for my new 2017 e-Golf SE bought in Feb. The service rep in SF Bay Area immediately knew what to do and he scheduled an appointment for following Saturday. I didn't have to show the specific code etc. He was also annoyed that VW still hasn't fixed it in spite them giving lots of feedback. I got the servicing done last Saturday, but unfortunately there is no difference. The repair text pasted below looks ambiguous. I don't understand if they are saying they fixed it or not.

------------------------------------------------
LINE - OPCODE - TECH TYPE HOURS LIST NET TOTAL
-----------------------------------------------
99 - DEFAULT -A PLEASE APPLY TSB FOR CLIMATE SYSTEM TO REMEMBER CLIMATE SETTINGS 12586 ISP (N/C)

694 COULD NOT FIND ANY TSB FOR THIS VEHICLES CLIMATE CONTROL
SETTINGS. CHANGED SETTINGS TO SEE IF VEHICLE WILL RESET BACK. AS PER
SETTING CAR WILL RESET TO BASIC SETTINGS. SOFTWARE CURRENTLY UP TO
DATE. NO OTHER UPDATES AVAILABLE. ACTIVATED MANUAL ADJUSTMENT FEATURE
SO CAR WILL REMEMBER CLIMATE SETTINGS. NOTE. ONCE CARS CLIMATE MODULE
POWER DRAINING SETTING GOES INTO SLEEP MORE (30MIN-1 HOUR) CLIMATE WILL
RETURN TO MINIMALLY POWER DRAINING SETTING.

raghu1111 said:
I wanted to get this fixed for my new 2017 e-Golf SE bought in Feb. The service rep in SF Bay Area immediately knew what to do and he scheduled an appointment for following Saturday. I didn't have to show the specific code etc. He was also annoyed that VW still hasn't fixed it in spite them giving lots of feedback. I got the servicing done last Saturday, but unfortunately there is no difference. The repair text pasted below looks ambiguous. I don't understand if they are saying they fixed it or not.

------------------------------------------------
LINE - OPCODE - TECH TYPE HOURS LIST NET TOTAL
-----------------------------------------------
99 - DEFAULT -A PLEASE APPLY TSB FOR CLIMATE SYSTEM TO REMEMBER CLIMATE SETTINGS 12586 ISP (N/C)

694 COULD NOT FIND ANY TSB FOR THIS VEHICLES CLIMATE CONTROL
SETTINGS. CHANGED SETTINGS TO SEE IF VEHICLE WILL RESET BACK. AS PER
SETTING CAR WILL RESET TO BASIC SETTINGS. SOFTWARE CURRENTLY UP TO
DATE. NO OTHER UPDATES AVAILABLE. ACTIVATED MANUAL ADJUSTMENT FEATURE
SO CAR WILL REMEMBER CLIMATE SETTINGS. NOTE. ONCE CARS CLIMATE MODULE
POWER DRAINING SETTING GOES INTO SLEEP MORE (30MIN-1 HOUR) CLIMATE WILL
RETURN TO MINIMALLY POWER DRAINING SETTING.

Go back reread this whole thread, and tell the service manager to tell the tech where the adaptation is, verbatim. There is a solution, it is fixable. Quote exactly where they need to direct their resources, and that this feature is unacceptable. Your description to the service writer was too vague. If need be, take it down to Sunnyvale or any of the VW dealerships around silicon valley, or telephone and ask a service writer down at one of those dealerships what the newest TSB number is to fix this problem. Also, bring your car in to have this fixed on a weekday, not a weekend, when all the smarter techs are working.

Tell them you do NOT want the minimal power drain reset as the Default setting. You want it reset through Adaptation to remember your last known "climate" settings.

Sonnen VW in San Rafael has fixed it for me twice - once on a 2015 and again more recently on a 2017. Doing it on the 2015 was a learning experience for them, but I provided the specific TSB and wording that others shared in this forum & they figured it out.

One thing of note - the settings for both driver and passenger side stayed the same once they made the change to the 2015, but on the 2017, the passenger side always resets to "eco" on startup. I was told that this is the best they can do on the 2017s.

I just bought a new 2017 e-Golf SE in MA. Before purchasing, I printed out this thread and showed it to the sales manager, including these keywords:

"HVAC settings don't remember my last settings when I shut off, I'd like that changed so that it does remember MY last settings"

"Tech tip number 87-15-02"

"OTIS or OASIS"

"Adapatation #5, switching on behavior"

I was promised this would be fixed before delivery.

Today I took delivery of the car. When it started it showed 72F. Since I was told the 72F problem was fixed I thought maybe it was set to 72F the last time.

Well, after driving home I set it to 68F before turning the car off. I turned it back momentarily and it showed 68F. All good. However, a few hours later when I turned the car on the climate control showed 72F! So this was not fixed. :(

Does anyone have the same problem, i.e.: the 72F problem was not fixed under Tech Tip 87-15-02 for 2017 e-Golf SE? I was not given a copy of the work order when I took delivery of the car but I was told by the sales person that the problem was fixed.

This is indeed very annoying.

johnzl said:
I just bought a new 2017 e-Golf SE in MA. Before purchasing, I printed out this thread and showed it to the sales manager, including these keywords:

"HVAC settings don't remember my last settings when I shut off, I'd like that changed so that it does remember MY last settings"

"Tech tip number 87-15-02"

"OTIS or OASIS"

"Adapatation #5, switching on behavior"

I was promised this would be fixed before delivery.

Today I took delivery of the car. When it started it showed 72F. Since I was told the 72F problem was fixed I thought maybe it was set to 72F the last time.

Well, after driving home I set it to 68F before turning the car off. I turned it back momentarily and it showed 68F. All good. However, a few hours later when I turned the car on the climate control showed 72F! So this was not fixed. :(

Does anyone have the same problem, i.e.: the 72F problem was not fixed under Tech Tip 87-15-02 for 2017 e-Golf SE? I was not given a copy of the work order when I took delivery of the car but I was told by the sales person that the problem was fixed.

This is indeed very annoying.

Take it to a different VW dealership, midweek, and ask for an e-Golf guru technician, show them the instructions, that you are not happy with the default setting as being a "feature", you want it to remember your last settings.

Update:
Yesterday I took my car in to another dealer: Boston Volkswagen in Watertown MA. I mentioned the 72F problem and the service adviser said he heard a lot of complaints about this on the e-Golf unfortunately it may or may not be fixed, depending on when the vehicle was manufactured.

I then presented him with the print out of this thread and he said he will look up his system to see what comes up.

He looked at the computer for a while and said he saw something for the 2015 and 2016 models but none for the 2017 model I have. However, he could have an e-Golf technician apply the update and to see if my car will take it.

I thanked him and signed the paperwork so that it can be charged to VW as warranty work later (I just bought my car and it hasn't appeared in their computer system yet). It's about $160. I asked if he wanted to forward the Tech Tip info to the tech but he said the tech knows the stuff so it was not needed.

The only technician who could work on the e-Golf was busy with another car so I had to wait. A few hours later I got my car back and was told the car took the update without problem. However they didn't know if the 72F problem was fixed or not. They could only confirm the car did not reject the update.

I went home and turned the climate control off.

This morning when I turned on the car and the climate control stayed off :D

Finally, my 2017 e-Golf SE was fixed!

kirby said:
Update: My Sales Advisor at Sunnyvale Volkswagen emailed me a week or so ago and said he had just applied some new fix to his own e-Golf and it appears to keep it's setting even overnight. So yesterday, I took mine in for the battery management recall and the HVAC adaptation.

The Service Consultant still needed me to describe the HVAC problem and I got the the impression that maybe this wasn't an automatic thing they'll do if you just walk in and ask for "TT87-15-02 adaptation". That is, I think he needed me to describe symptoms so he could record them in the service record. Not sure.

In any case, my 2016 SEL has had this applied and the HVAC settings now remain where I left them, even overnight. Finally the HVAC works like it it supposed to!

ewEYmgd.png

This is a refresher for this thread... it is a basic ADAPTATION change, and it is doable, so far, for 2015- 2018 e-Golfs in North America. You need to be VERY specific in your complaint to the service writers at VW, so READ THIS WHOLE THREAD, so you understand how to communicate effectively with the SERVICE WRITER. You will also have MUCH BETTER LUCK with success going during the week to your VW dealership, NOT ON WEEKENDS, because during the week is generally when the e-GOLF Technician GURU's work... they like their weekends off too, so they can drive, play and work on their own cars.

johnzl said:
Update:

Please take a picture of your Warranty fix paperwork addressing this and host it and post it up here, so that we have documentation on how to fix a 2017 e-Golf.

So can the default hvac setting be changed by the dealer to be OFF when the car is started or does this update only default to the last setting adjustment the last time the car was on?

Marspinball said:
So can the default hvac setting be changed by the dealer to be OFF when the car is started or does this update only default to the last setting adjustment the last time the car was on?

Last actual setting the last time the car was on.

I can confirm this HVAC 72F fix worked on this 2015 SEL. Took a screenshot of the code that was posted earlier in this thread. Thanks @JoulesThief!

and yes they also tried to charge me $50 since it was a feature request when in reality it wasn't. Ended up getting it done for free of charge!

I did not get any paperwork because my car did not show up in the system of the dealer B that fixed the issue. Somehow the dealer A I bought the car from hadn't sent their paperwork to VW yet. I need to chase dealer A tomorrow to ask them to send their paperwork so that dealer B can get paid under warranty :roll:

Also I did not know how the service advisor communicated the issue to the technician. I showed him print out of this thread but he ignored it claiming the tech knew this stuff already. I think he was right. After the fix my car can remember the last temperature, or on/off setting.

JoulesThief said:
johnzl said:
Update:

Please take a picture of your Warranty fix paperwork addressing this and host it and post it up here, so that we have documentation on how to fix a 2017 e-Golf.

johnzl said:
I did not get any paperwork because my car did not show up in the system of the dealer B that fixed the issue. Somehow the dealer A I bought the car from hadn't sent their paperwork to VW yet. I need to chase dealer A tomorrow to ask them to send their paperwork so that dealer B can get paid under warranty :roll:

Also I did not know how the service advisor communicated the issue to the technician. I showed him print out of this thread but he ignored it claiming the tech knew this stuff already. I think he was right. After the fix my car can remember the last temperature, or on/off setting.

JoulesThief said:
johnzl said:
Update:

Was this Sunnyvale VW and if so who was your advisor? Thx

Back