You guys use the e-brake when parking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy320

So with an ICE car there is a physical lock in the transmission when it's placed in park, but how does it work with the e-Golf? When it's in park, is there a physical lock preventing the car from moving, or should you always use the electronic parking brake? I've only had my e-Golf for a few days so this hasn't really been a problem for me yet, but wondering what to do if your parking on an incline.

It seems to have a regular parking pawl but I always set the parking brake before putting the car into "P" and then releasing the foot brake. Avoiding engaging the pawl makes things smoother and the car never rolls an inch.

I also use the parking brake at stop lights and in drive-throughs. It's convenient when the car is in drive because the brake instantly releases when you touch the accelerator.

Here is a page on the parking pawl that addresses your question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl

I always set mine, even on level surfaces. One reason is I don't want the car to roll away if it gets hit hard enough to break the parking pawl. It's also a habit from my stick-shift-driving days.

Always set mine, before engaging in P. Put car in R or D before releasing it, too. Good practice.

Back