Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trailer wiring
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:51 am 

kataleen wrote:
I will install a hitch to my 2017 eGolf [...]
I have to add that I am pretty handy with wiring these things, it's just that I don't know which one will work with the eGolf.

My 2018 owner's manual is very specific. It says IF YOU INSTALL A TRAILER HITCH YOU WILL CAUSE EXPENSIVE DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE which will not be covered by warranty.

I have not investigated, but my sense is that the location of the rear portion of the battery pack interferes with the usual mounting locations for a trailer hitch. I am envisioning people running a drill bit right into a couple of battery cells.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:34 am 

I have to say, that is not specific at all. In fact, it's very vague. I already installed the hitch and it has clear mounting points, away from any battery/conduits. The hitch mounts with 4 bolts directly into the frame and does not require any drilling.
That statement in the manual sounds to me like a big umbrella and a way of VW saying we don't want to spend time to explain which cases may do damage and which ones would be ok so we will be lazy and say don't do it at all. I would like to see specifically what damage they expect to have from installing a hitch and also what damage would incur from towing trailers at different weights.
Many people already installed hitches and the perform flawlessly on the eGolf in different cases, mostly sports racks.
Sorry, I'm the kind of guy that before bowing to a generic statement, I want to know why. :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:58 am 

Here are a few pictures after the install. i highlighted in orange the shape of the hitch mounting profile
As you can see from the pic where I have the torque wrench in, there is a lot of space between the hitch and the high voltage cable. And that was the only thing anywhere near the mounting points of the hitch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:58 pm 

Nice work !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:15 am 

Thanks kataleen for posting the pics! It may well be as you say - a statement to avoid liability. So, quite clearly, a trailer hitch can be installed. Good to know.

Is that the 114121 Class 1 Trailer Hitch? Which harness did you use?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 pm 

This week I came across a (nearly) hidden hitch from TorkLift, https://torkliftcentral.com/rving-and-towing/ecohitch/volkswagen/2015-2017-volkswagen-golf-ecohitch. A little more involved to install as it involves taking the bumper cover off, but it mounts in way similar to how the OEM hitch mounts, and involves no modification to the car.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:21 pm 

cattlerepairman wrote:
Thanks kataleen for posting the pics! It may well be as you say - a statement to avoid liability. So, quite clearly, a trailer hitch can be installed. Good to know.

Is that the 114121 Class 1 Trailer Hitch? Which harness did you use?

Yes, that's the 11412 from Curt. With regards to the wiring I'm still trying to figure out the egolf wiring for the tail lights. If anyone has a diagram by any chance, I would appreciate it.

I got the Curt 59236 wiring kit in the mean time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 pm 

I finally figured out the wiring problem. Nothing a good old multi-meter can't solve! 8-)
I added more pictures of the hitch install as well as the wiring process at the link below. Got a chance to test it and works like a charm.

EDIT: Sorry, the original link was wrong. This is the correct one:
http://www.thebrainspike.com/adding-tra ... en-e-golf/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:03 am 

....and I finally got a chance to try it out. Tows like a dream :)
I rented a trailer over the weekend to haul some garden soil. Got about a cubic yard which weighs about 2000 lbs. Withe the empty trailer, you don't even know it's there, if it wasn't for the coupler noise and chains. I noticed that especially when the car started to creep at lights. It just goes as usual.
With the trailer loaded, it just feels like you're going uphill when accelerating and downhill when braking. That's about it. The car is not straining with the weight by any means. I always kept it reasonable driving slower and also did not go on the highways.

Some pics with the egolf + trailer:
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:15 am 

Any idea what that weight is doing to the brushes, and windings of your electric motor? Or to the battery pack.

You should have bought a manual 6 speed TDI Golf instead. Seriously.

I hope you own this e-Golf and don't lease it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next