Charging handle lock on 2017 e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkx

From what I've generally read and heard, all e-Golfs keep the charging handle locked when the door is locked, even when the car is fully charged. A co-worker with a 2017 e-Golf (which I have) told me that his handle is not locked for some reason. Have others experienced that too? Or is there a special trick to have the handle stay unlocked?

We have shared chargers at work and if an e-Golf is done charging, folks can't simply remove the handle and plug another car, the car needs to be unlocked.

Ah then that must be it, I do have DC FC and I'll ask him if he doesn't but that would explain it. But why would the DC FC e-Golfs be locked if they use a level 2 handle? It would be really nice if that could be deactivated

lkx said:
Ah then that must be it, I do have DC FC and I'll ask him if he doesn't but that would explain it. But why would the DC FC e-Golfs be locked if they use a level 2 handle? It would be really nice if that could be deactivated
They also use a 360 V DCFC plug, that needs to be locked in place.

The locking mechanism is contained within the upper (round) part, and not the lower (rounded off rectangle) part. Since both L2 and DCFC use the upper part, the lock works on both.

I do wish that VW would do what Nissan did with the 2013-2017 Leafs (not sure about the 2018 models which were redesigned) and have a 3 position lock selector: On, Off, Auto Unlock when finished charging.

DCFC CCS1 connector has its own locking mechanism, so you are correct that no locking pin is needed in the car inlet to follow the J1772 standard (read the protocol or observe how many other EVs don't lock the J1772 connector). The lock in the inlet only serves to prevent theft of the connector, and should be an option, as the Leaf offers.

Back