Is the real world range really 83 miles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends on how you drive, and how much you use the heat. On a cold day recently, I drove 77 miles with 7 miles left, and that was fighting through a flat tire (I had to pump it up 5 times) so increased rolling resistance, and using the 12v pump for a total of about 45+ minutes. I got it to the dealer, and they plugged it - it is holding air very well, thankfully. Most of the driving was 35-40mph, and plenty of hills. By the end of the day, it was getting down to ~10F.

You folks should drive with the coasting, and only use regen when you need to slow down. I think you will see an improvement if you do take advantage of the road candy.

I was in CA a year in July 2013, and I drove a gen 3 Prius with 4 tall adults (sometimes on 405) and got 65.4MPG over 186 miles and 3 days.

Hy guys, drove now about 4.000km in two months. Now that temperature is a little bit high, ( 3 to 8 deg C°) max range is around 165 km and really done ! Not on highway of course where 100 km is the max at a speed of 100km/h, provided set on ECO - awaiting better climate condition to test ECO +
On an average, I observed 19,95 KWh/100km. Far from VW brochure's figures !
I do use the 'B' position each time I may instead of the brakes, while driving in the city.Since no mountain in the suburbs, 'D' 1-2-3 is of no use over here.

I'm driving in D mode around town with a lot of coasting and minimal braking regen. I use the steering wheel toggles to display "since start" (current trip since ignition turned on). I keep an eye on miles/kwh

With temps around 30-40 and no heating, I'm getting 4.2. which at 21.1 kwh usable is around 90 miles.

Ron

I just did a test round-trip with my e-Golf to LAX from home (Altadena) in normal (not any Eco) mode and occasional AC use and in "B". I drove there, drove around a bit, hit the In-n-Out for a shake and plane watching, and drove back. It's an 83 EPA mile car, the trip was 70 miles total, and I parked in my garage with 30 miles left on the GOM and 3/8ths of a charge. I'm now confident I can make it back and forth to LAX regularly. The car said I did right at 5 mpkWh for the round trip.

And elevation change made a big difference. Turning onto Aviation Blvd from the I-105, the GOM still said I had 100 miles remaining. The drive back dropped the GOM 70 miles for a 31 mile return. The last bit from Pasadena up the hill to Altadena is a big range killer. It's a guaranteed 1/8th of a charge to get from Old Town to my house.

The e-golf from postings on this board doesn't seem to be having near the range problems as those expressed on the i3 forum. The ranges seem to be larger, and the effects of cold weather and terrain less negative. The egolfs being out for a shorter time and in smaller numbers may enter into it, but I notice the same on the German egolf forum where the car has been out for close to a year

Ron

Now that temp is around 15-18°c during the day, ECO plus does show 190-195 km at full charge. About 2-3 km between ECO & ECO+. Assume it's due to climatisation. However, in ECO+, engine power is very low.
Have reached 5000km by now.Sound good if we do accept the range limitation, known as from the beginning !

I have seen 5.2 miles per kWh on a charge, and the range after recharging was 122 miles. This is very dependent on the air temperature - aero drag at colder temps is going to keep consumption higher.

My best range on one charge so far is 96 miles with 13 miles left. The charge was 21.4kWh, so that is just under 223Wh/mile, or almost 4.5 miles / kWh. The dash displayed 5.1 miles / kWh (if I recall correctly) which means the wall-to-wheels losses are a bit less than 15%.

I logged on and under mycarnet it said "VW Car-Net 3 year EV Complimentary"' with a 12/2017 expiration. I also got a 40 check from my dealer with no explanation but I assume it's for the software problems they've been having

There are two components to car-net for e-Golfs. One is Onstar-type service for emergencies. That, you get 6-months for free. The other component is the e-Golf specific features - delayed charging (which currently does;t work!) and all the stuff that's on the smartphone app. This second piece you get free for 3 years.

NeilBlanchard said:
Okay, thanks - I will check it out. Do you have to opt out of the one before 6 months is up?
I am almost 100% positive (I'd say I was completely sure, but I'm too old to be saying that anymore,) that I not only did not give them any information they could use to start charging fees automatically, but also that I asked them whether the service would automatically continue past the trial date, and was told it would not.

Mind you, I rely more on the fact that they have no credit card to charge me on, than anything the CarNet people said. ;)

Back