My egolf 2015 Lease is ending next month

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaq

And the the 2018 egolf is not out... At this point i don't want to sign a 3 year lease on the 2017 egolf. I could go without a car for a few months to wait for the 2018... or wait for the 2019 electric mini...

Any advice/suggestions/thoughts?

FYI from what I understand the 2018 e-Golf will be nearly identical to the 2017, assuming it ever comes out. Both will have the same 35.8 kWh battery. Haven't heard anything about an electric mini, but know the new Audi should hit Europe this fall and assume US in early 2019.

The decision first depends a lot on your location. As discussed on a recent thread, there's very low inventory on the eGolfs right now, especially in California. Things may be a bit better in New England.

If the range is adequate for you, I'd probably just buy the car out. I have 80 days left on mine and the residual is $13.5K. The fair market value for a 2016 SE with 16,500 miles would be in the $14-16k range. My car is eligible for the new red HOV stickers, which is a nice bonus and should bolster the car's value over the next couple years. I can keep driving it for now and then jump on a good deal when it comes around. Or just put in an order for a Model 3 and wait the 12-18 months :lol:

VW Credit will extend your lease for up to 6 months. You can return it at any point within that period and any payments with a future due date will not be due. We took advantage of that while we waited for our Model 3 to be delivered. The inspection said we only had one key, but we returned it with two. The closing statement had the charge for the missing key, so we had to call to have that taken off. Just the $350 Disposition fee remains.

johnnylingo said:
If the range is adequate for you, I'd probably just buy the car out. I have 80 days left on mine and the residual is $13.5K. The fair market value for a 2016 SE with 16,500 miles would be in the $14-16k range.

This is what I ended up doing. As much as a new car sounds (and smells) enticing, financially it didn't make sense given that my current car will meet my needs for the foreseeable future. And for less than what the total lease payments I was being offered on a 2017 would be, my current car would have been paid up.

My car is eligible for the new red HOV stickers, which is a nice bonus and should bolster the car's value over the next couple years. I can keep driving it for now and then jump on a good deal when it comes around.

That would be the only advantage (assuming range is sufficient) for the OP, but even that has a limited lifespan: 1/1/2022 for cars with stickers issued in 2017 or 2018, unless extended by the Legislature, with 1/1/2025 being the definitive end date for all HOV stickers unless Congress extends it.

Back