MDI connection not working with Iphone???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ofcounsel

So, I plug in my iPhone 5s (without the case), and it charges just fine. But the stereo system doesn't seem to recognize it as being plugged in. The phone doesn't show up as a media selection menu and the system doesn't display my music choices.

Anyone have a clue why?

Side note: the bluetooth works, so i can at least stream music, but I can't get any function through the MDI cable other than charging the phone.

Bad cable maybe? The power pins could be connecting but not the data ones?
I know that with mine, if I'm streaming on bluetooth and plug into the MDI cable it switches to the cable input automatically.

I received the 30-pin connector when I bought my car so VW sent me a lighting connector for free. It arrived today and I plugged it in to try it out and it is only charging the phone. It doesn't show up as a media source. Bluetooth streaming works just fine. I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.3

Anyone else having issues?

I was at a VW dealer and also found that my iphone 6 was not recognized using the MDI to lightning adapter on a VW e-golf. It also wasn't charging. The sales representative gave me another cable to try using the same iphone. With the new cable the iphone would charge but the system couldn't locate the device. Next we tried using the new cable with the same iphone on a different e-golf on the lot. With the different car the system was able to both charge the iphone and recognize the iphone with full ipod functionality. Lastly we tried using the same iphone and the new cable on yet another e-golf. This one was able to charge the iphone but not locate the device. Since I wanted to purchase this e-golf the sales representative had the service department attempt to fix the problem. After about an hour the service department concluded that the entire stereo unit needed to be replaced. They told me the car will be ready on Friday with the new unit installed. I would recommend bringing the car to the dealership to have this issue fixed under warranty. I wish the e-golf came with a USB port like most new cars instead of an MDI port. When we tried using the MDI to USB adapter cable that VW sells with car was able to charge my iphone 6 but not locate the device in the one car where it was able to recognize the iphone using the MDI to lightning adapter.

That's frustrating, but thanks for the info. I'm going to schedule a service appt. Hopefully they'll take my word rather than have me try out the cable and phone with multiple vehicles on the lot. I'll post an update after I take it in.

A little off topic, but kinda close: I have discovered that the 30-pin connector doesn't work with iPod classic. Kind of a bummer since I had planned to dedicate my old iPod to the car since it has much more capacity than my phone does. I guess I'll just have to opt for the SD card approach. Also kinda bummed that there's no old fashioned aux-in jack or USB port in case a friend wanted to play his/her music and didn't want to necessarily pair the device or if it's not compatible with the specific plug I have.

IndigoZ said:
A little off topic, but kinda close: I have discovered that the 30-pin connector doesn't work with iPod classic. Kind of a bummer since I had planned to dedicate my old iPod to the car since it has much more capacity than my phone does. I guess I'll just have to opt for the SD card approach. Also kinda bummed that there's no old fashioned aux-in jack or USB port in case a friend wanted to play his/her music and didn't want to necessarily pair the device or if it's not compatible with the specific plug I have.

Since I got the 30-pin connector from my dealer upon purchase, I tried it with my old iPod touch last night and it also did not work. It charged but the iPod didn't show up as a media source. I also tried using the 30-pin connector with Apple's 30-pin to lighting adapter with my iPhone and it was more of the same- charged but not connecting to play music.

I'm headed to the dealership in an hour and will post an update once I get back. Wish me luck!

If you haven't already tried it, I suggest you re-seat the MDI port. It's hard to reach in the little storage drawer, so make sure that it's pushed in completely.

I've tried that several times with both the 30-pin and lightning. I've also tried all possible reset/restart combinations with the head unit and my iPhone & iPod, with no success.

Well no resolution from my service visit. They ran diagnostics and tried flashing the software but still no luck. They told me they were in touch with Germany and will contact me when they figure out what to do. The MDI cable worked in other cars on the lot. Unless it's a software glitch that gets figured out, they'll probably have to replace the whole unit. :(

I have an iPhone 4 that I use for work, and an iPhone 5S that I have for personal use. I have music on both. I tried connecting them both (my car came with both lightning and 30 pin cables). Both charge, but the car otherwise recognizes neither.

My dealership had me come in today for a temporary fix. For some reason, the connection was disabled. They plugged in a laptop, manually turned it on, and I was on my way in a matter of minutes. The tech said a permanent fix will come in a future software update.

Hetz8500 said:
My dealership had me come in today for a temporary fix. For some reason, the connection was disabled. They plugged in a laptop, manually turned it on, and I was on my way in a matter of minutes. The tech said a permanent fix will come in a future software update.
Thanks for the update. I'm about to take mine in and this issue is on the list.

If they give you any trouble, have them contact Mat at Galpin VW in North Hills, CA. He is my service rep and super helpful in resolving my issue.

Just took delivery of my eGolf last night (SEL). It came with the 30 pin. Did you have to ask for the lightning cable? Is it an entire new cable or adapter?

oftheseven said:
Just took delivery of my eGolf last night (SEL). It came with the 30 pin. Did you have to ask for the lightning cable? Is it an entire new cable or adapter?

Ask your dealer-it's a whole separate cable. They should provide it to you for free. If they give you a hard time, email VW and they'll send you one free of charge. It's silly that they're still making the 30-pin and providing it with new cars. Apple no longer makes anything that uses that connector.

Interesting. I received both Apple MDI cables (30-pin and lightning) when I took possession of my car. I don't understand why this isn't caught during the delivery checklist.

Back