Buyers of e-Golf. Did you pay MSRP full price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rachel said:
Zony said:
Rachel... you in SLO Central Coast or Monterey? Currently in Salinas they are marking up 1k.
Thanks...
Z
Z, this was in Monterey (actually Seaside). They're pretty cool guys, and gave us no markup, although the sticker shows a dealer fee of $1500 extra, which we we're going to pay. They still have a white e-Golf with the black interior if you're interested. I can get you in touch with the sales guy we dealt with. He's very cool, knowledgable and won't give you BS. Also, the GM there is pretty interesting guy who will chat with you all about the future of EV's!

-Rachel

Thanks Rachel... nice to see VW in Seaside getting in the act... sure we'll bump into each other at some point at one of the charging stations in the area. Salinas has a gray (not sure which) and White as well... still have a year on the Leaf but beginning shopping now.
Z

cove3 said:
Did you actually see the Limestone Gray color? No dealers around here had either Limestone Gray or Urano Gray. I had to order sight unseen from web images and it had to be one of the two grays. Since the Urano was a little too dark for me, I went with Limestone with delivery in a couple of weeks

If you actually saw it, maybe you can clear up some confusion as to whether it's metallic. Both colors in the sales brochure do not say metallic, unlike 3 of the other colors. Yet the dealers selling Urano on cars .com list it as Urano Gray Metallic, but the dealers selling Limestone list it as simply Limestone Gray.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...m=location&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=price&sf2Dir=DESC

Mine was 35000 incl destination. It appears VW is taking 1500 off msrp from thd getgo, unlike the BMW i3. Although I've read here and elsewhere some are going 1000-2000 over

Ron

Some have definitely been going for more than 1k or 2k over. I know that Sonnen VW north of SF has sold a couple for ~$3K over. I know at least a couple other Bay Area dealers were unwilling to go below $2.5K over asking and some were asking for more than that as of a week ago. But, there are other Bay Area dealers (including where I got mine) willing to sell at MSRP or a bit below.

Leased mine in Thousand Oaks at Neftin almost 3 weeks ago. Blue. I had a VW Friends & Family cert, but they did not accept it at face value. Instead they gave me $500 off the national $299 lease program. I applied it to the up front fees, so I ended up writing a check for just under $2500 to drive off. Monthly is $299 + tax == ~ $320 per month.

Max at Neftin was professional, accommodating and very non-saleman-y.

So I really wanted a color other than white however, I believe I got a good price. Updated price info!

I purchased, so here are my numbers.
33500 +tax tags fees= 36k

Finance
36K @ 72m %2.29= (536/m)

Total paid after 36 months =19300
Adjusted cost after 36 months=(19300-10500) $8800

Granted i'll still owe 16k, but in three years I'll be rich!

Location-Annapolis Maryland

AgentEG said:
Total paid after 36 months =19800
Adjusted cost after 36 months=(19800-10500) $9300

Why are subtracting 10500? I assume that's 7500 federal incentive + 3000 MD incentive, but the federal incentive is rolled into the lease (at least it was for me). In other words.. the incentive went to the dealership, not to me (but they subtracted $7,500 from the price of the car).

idris said:
AgentEG said:
Total paid after 36 months =19800
Adjusted cost after 36 months=(19800-10500) $9300

Why are subtracting 10500? I assume that's 7500 federal incentive + 3000 MD incentive, but the federal incentive is rolled into the lease (at least it was for me). In other words.. the incentive went to the dealership, not to me (but they subtracted $7,500 from the price of the car).

You are correct about the breakdown. I purchased, so the incentive goes to me.

Got my e-Golf this weekend, $1,000 total out-the-door + 35 payments of $383/month (including tax, which in Los Angeles is 9%).
So $1,000 + 35 x $383 = $14,405 total cost over 3 years. (10,000 miles/year)

Edmunds.com has a great certificate online (put in ZIP 90024) $1,483 off MSRP. Between Edmunds and TrueCar I must have contacted a dozen different dealerships online. It seems the further you go from the center of LA the better deal you get. The best offers came from Neftin VW (Thousand Oaks), Community VW (Santa Maria), Perry VW (San Luis Obispo), and City Chevrolet-Volkswagen (San Diego).

I also found that MSRP (or savings off of that) have very little to do with the final payment. When I mentioned the Edmunds $1,483 certificate to one dealer, he said sure, we'll match that, then said the payment will be $452 per month.

I'd recommend just focusing on the total 3 year cost, for me I told everyone that I want $1,000 out-the-door, then just compared the monthly payments.

Cars.com shows 56 e-Golfs within 150 miles of LA -- with only 9 days left in the year, there should be some negotiating room.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Got mine on 11/24/2014. The dealers in the Boston metro area each got one white e-Golf in early to mid November. I went to several dealers to try the car and see what I could get one for. The first one wanted $6K up front for the $299 36-month lease with no extras on the car. I found 2 other dealers who were much more ready to get the cars out and ended up getting one for $4K up front and $262 lease plus the lease-end no-hassle warranty and Simoniz treatment. When you lease, VW gets the $7,500 federal rebate so that is how they offer the low lease payment. In addition, I will get $2,500 EV incentive from MA which is available if you lease for 36 months. (This will come to me as a check and not to the dealer.) Finally, I can purchase the car at the end of the lease for $14,506. (One more thing, the first lease payment is already in the deal so only 35 payments.)

I am currently charging with 110 volt at home but will be having a Level 2 charging system installed for about $1,900 ($600 for charger + $,1300 for install labor to my shed)

Therefore, I will get the car for $4,000 + ($262 X 35 = $9,170) + $14,506 -$2,500 = $25,176.

Add to that $1,900 for the charger and MA Sales tax (not included above) of about $1,466 (total from lease then purchase)

Hope that helps. I know this deal seems to good to be true but I was only about the second person in the Boston area to buy one and some of the dealers were really anxious to sell their first one. The low gas prices and the price war among EV makers (Nisson, Ford, GM, etc.) certainly helped matters.

BTW- The car is fantastic. First off, it is Golf so the ride and handling are terrific. My range in cold weather is 75-85 miles in cold weather with normal driving style (occasionally being slightly aggressive with all that torque instantly available!).

One thing folks should be aware of is that, while all Level 2 charging stations work with all EVs, there are three incompatible standards for superchargers: Tesla, Japanese (Nissan, Mitsubishi), and American/European (SAE Combo). Right now, I don't think that there are any SAE Combo superchargers in MA.

Just paid $35100 for a night blue. Not many around, but Elk Grove was helpful in tracking one down.

Boston here. Bought ours from Wellesley VW. They took off $200 from list. We were paying cash, so no bank commission or leasing games to sweeten the pot for them. It was the first one they had, and it had arrived about 3 days before we turned up to try it.

Since we wanted a dark interior, they needed to swap with a dealer in CT, 120 miles away. So they sent the usual go-fer, who had not a clue about driving an EV. On a day that came close to breaking the record low for the day. ( only one or two lonely Fahrenheit's were around)

He got just over half way, in their car. He did find a wall outlet, and called when it had only got to 35 miles of range after 4 hours.

Anyhow, ours came up on a flatbed. We split the cost with the dealer, which ate up the discount. We should pick it up tomorrow, assuming they can get the plates sorted out. The insurance company couldn't find the VIN in their system, so it's likely they don't have a rate available for the electric yet... In MA all the paperwork has to be in, the insurance company has to stamp the form, and plates attached, before you take delivery. For normal passenger stuff this can be done electronically NOW, and the dealer has a cache of plates available. If you want anything out of the ordinary like commemorative, EV, commercial, etc they send a runner to the RMV to hand in the paperwork and get handed the bit of tin.

smacdonald said:
Just paid $35100 for a night blue. Not many around, but Elk Grove was helpful in tracking one down.

I really really wanted night blue, but the only one on the east coast had tan interior, not to mention the dealer gave me 33500 on a white, which I thought was really hard to pass up.

Tradesie?

Where did you find it in night blue on the east coast? I didn't see any when I was looking.

preilly44 said:
Where did you find it in night blue on the east coast? I didn't see any when I was looking.

Atlantic VW in West Islip NY
Trish Brett is the internet Manager.

Hello everyone!

I have a question in regards to the lease and $$$ due at signing...

The usual $299 + ~$2k is for the full MSRP price correct?

I just checked my local dealer's inventory and they have a couple of eGolfs asking for ~$32k.

Does that essentially mean I can snatch one up for $0 down and lower monthly payment?

I know the easiest way to find out is probably to go find out at the dealer but I know how that whole situation goes all too well. Too much mumbo jumbo. So I thought i'd ask you guys first.

Here is the link to one of the inventory posting by the dealer:
http://www.vwofportland.com/for-sale/new-2015-volkswagen-e-golf-sel-premium-wv15304

To rensupreme,

Yes, it does get a little complicated trying to figure out what you are actually paying. I bought mine at the third dealer and talked to a few others on the phone. I have bought a lot of cars and you just have to tough out the first one or two as they may try to play games, especially if there is a trade involved. I don't always go for just the best deal but sometimes whether I feel they are being straight forward. You can see my post on page three above for details on what I paid.

There is a standard lease deal of $299 plus $1500-2000 (I forget the amount) up front. You can put more up front and lower the payment or put $0 down and increase the payment. If you lease, VW is getting the $7,500 federal rebate. My residual value (price I can by the car at the end of the lease) is $14,506 (which may be standard). To figure out how much you will pay for the car add up: $Upfront + (35 X Lease amount) + Residual Value
It's 35 lease payments because the first one is included up front. One dealer was asking $399 for the lease since he was including a Level 2 charger plus installation (which can be quite pricey for an outdoor setup).

Aside from all of the above, dealers have some discount discretion for either buying or leasing. However, one of my local dealers actually wanted a premium so I did about $5-6,000 better by shopping around.

Finally, you will definitely want a Level 2 charger, so factor that in.

My lease was 30,750 selling price,
Cap cost after rebates 23,002
Drive off was 2349, of which 1700 was taxes.
Payments are $299/mo or 326 after taxes.

Seems like the standard lease deal?

Well, the end of March is approaching. Supply of e-Golf seems to be much higher than before. Also, the introduction of the Limited Edition is pushing down prices. Cars.com shows 168 cars within 200 miles of San Francisco. Today, they show Sunnyvale has 21 cars and Capitol shows 30. Edmunds says that a good price is over $2,000 off MSRP. Sunnyvale offered a $159/mo lease deal on the LE, but there are no solid numbers to go with it except the drive off of $2395.

What are people paying these days?

Just bought the SEL last night. We got $2k off MSRP by asking for the Consumer Reports discount. They said they no longer participated in that program but ended up giving it to us anyway. When they didn't have the color on the lot, they tried to lower it to $1500 but ended up giving us the $2k in the end. I really wanted a convertible and was leaning towards the Smart EV, but hubby was sold on this one. Anyone thought of modifying to a convertible?

Bought a Limestone Gray SEL for $33,103 at Galpin VW last weekend. They were not budging from MSRP and were really pushing me to lease. Used Edmunds Price Promise to get prices at other dealerships and they reluctantly matched, after making me call and verify the price on my cell phone in front of them.

Back