CA - Rebate from DWP on installing Level 2 Charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned my car for less than a month (love!) and I'm getting ready to have the level 2 charger installed. I'm probably going with a plug-in version like the Juicebox and not a hardwired one in case I want to travel with it or if I move. Apparently the State of California offers rebates on the cost of the charger and if I'm not mistaken some sort of rebate if you have to hire an electrician to either do the upgrade (I had 100 amps, moving up to 200) or just on the installation of the charger itself. So there may be a rebate on the charger, the electrician's cost and then there's another deal on actual power you'll be using

Based on how onerous the $2500 electric car purchase rebate process was I'm wondering if any of my fellow So Cal eGolfers have already gone through this process and if so can you share any tips with me?

Much appreciated!

I have not heard of such a rebate in CA. There was a Federal tax credit available when I installed my charging station in 2013; not sure if it is still in effect.

Plug-In America does not list such a rebate for CA currently:
http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives

LA DWP does indeed have a rebate program for EVSE. It provides up to $750 for out of pocket expenses, but does not cover installation cost. You can also get $250 back if you install a second meter dedicated to EV charging. However, the installation of a meter like that usually runs between $1,000 and $2,500 depending on the complexity of installation. LA DWP is not participating in the EV Submetering Pilot program being coordinated by the CPUC.

I was going to put a link, but it's crazy long and has session IDs etc.
Just Google "LADWP Electric Vehicle Charger Rebate Program" or go to their website and click Residential at the top of the page and the "Save Money" tab.

The federal credit was reinstated for all of 2014 in the Dec budget compromise but not for 2015 unless Congress acts again this year

Ron

Has anyone gone through the full process of actually getting a LADWP discount on the Level 2 charger? I've started the process and it's quite a pain, as it involves the following steps according to LADWP's unhelpful guide:

Step 1: Consult with Car Dealer
EV dealership advises customer to contact an electrician and the LADWP to determine if a home or business is ready for a Level 2 charger. Some automakers offer free assessments.

Step 2: Contact LADWP
Customer contacts LADWP for consultation on rate and meter options. The customer considers cost vs. benefits of each option after researching EV info on the LADWP website. link to form:
https://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/faces/wcnav_externalId/r-gg-charg-install-evrate?_adf.ctrl-state=wvsln5bb_4
(i completed this step however, the online form I had to fill out included requirement to include who the electrician is, if you want TOU option or not, what charger you plan to install etc.. they don't make it easy)

Step 3: Contact an Electrician
Electrician inspects service wiring for adequate capacity to supply the Level 2 charging station. Electrician advises customer about feasibility of the preferred meter option

Step 4: Charging Station Request
Customer completes the online EV Charging Station Request form. A LADWP Electric Service Representative (ESR) is automatically dispatched within 5 business days.

Step 5: LADWP Site Visit
LADWP ESR assesses service for possible system upgrades. ESR advises customer about LADWP meter options and provides a written report.

Step 6: Obtain Electrical Permit
Electrician confirms meter and rate options with the customer and then obtains an electrical permit. Electrician completes the installation and calls for the inspection.

Step 7: DBS Inspection
he Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety (LADBS) inspects the installation. Approval of work is transmitted to LADWP when the installation passes inspection.

Step 8: LADWP Installation
LADWP receives approval from the LADBS. Crew is dispatched to install meter and perform system work as needed.

So, has anyone actually gone through all this? Any tips? Is it worth all the trouble with city permits, inspections and all?

I think you should weigh what the LADWP discount price for the charger is vs what you can pick one up on Amazon for. There may be such a small difference that it isn't worth going through this hassle.

laegolfer said:
So, has anyone actually gone through all this? Any tips? Is it worth all the trouble with city permits, inspections and all?
You need to get an electrician and pull a permit anyway. IIRC, they used to require a new meter to get the rebate, which leads to a lot of the nonsense listed. If you are just adding it to your existing electrical service, the procedure is much more streamlined.

I also don't see where it says you have to buy the EVSE hardware from a particular place, so by all means, buy it from Amazon or wherever you can get the best price. They may not give any rebate on a plug-in unit though.

Went through the process in January of this year. It's much easier than the list above, and you can buy your own wall box at Amazon, for example. Keep the receipt to claim your LADWP rebate.

I installed the wall box in our condo garage. The trickiest part was to satisfy the HOA to issue permission. The contractor will take care of the city permit. The DWP was very helpful. While the (one) person in charge of western L.A. answers the phone only between something like 7:30 and 8:30 am, he calls back when you leave a message and he is very helpful.

Depending on your electrical setup, you don't need a second meter. In fact, with the e-Golf and one full charge per day you can go for a long time before time-of-use metering will save you money.

It took the DWP about 6 weeks from the date of my application to mail the check.

Back