Limited Edition Lease $159 per month

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The requirement for the California state rebate is that you must operate the car for at least 30 months in California. Leases must be 36 months minimum. If you move the car out of state and it is not registered in California, they will ask for a pro-rated refund based on the portion of time it was out of state.

I would not assume Sunnyvale has the best deal. They just happen to have an advertised deal on the LE. I was actually very frustrated negotiating with them on the SEL.

Sunnyvale VW does not have the best deal. In another Bay area dealership, I got $14 cheaper monthly with same down. Overall cap cost was about $600 cheaper than Sunnyvale VW's and about $1000 more for trade-in.
Sunnyvale VW pissed me by offering $3000 lower than lowest KBB tradein estimate. When I walked out of the door they started to call me and offered "help" by offering more tradein values multiple times. It is kind of insulating to be offered "helps" so decided to contact the VW dealership that I bought my other car in 2010 and got a much better treatment and deal.

Can you please send me the dealer info with Sales person contact details.

I'm in the bay area, looking to lease e-Golf

twindolphindr said:
Sunnyvale VW does not have the best deal. In another Bay area dealership, I got $14 cheaper monthly with same down. Overall cap cost was about $600 cheaper than Sunnyvale VW's and about $1000 more for trade-in.
Sunnyvale VW pissed me by offering $3000 lower than lowest KBB tradein estimate. When I walked out of the door they started to call me and offered "help" by offering more tradein values multiple times. It is kind of insulating to be offered "helps" so decided to contact the VW dealership that I bought my other car in 2010 and got a much better treatment and deal.

I got 159 a month with 3681 drive off today at Boardwalk in Redwood City. Not so bad considering the $2500 I get back from the state.

I had a leaf for the last few years. The gold feels like a step up in terms of fit and finish. I with we had more fast dc combo chargers near me, but I digress...

-coop

I spent yesterday (May 16th) at one dealership (will not mention its name, but the experience didn't impress me) and today (May 17th) at the Santa Monica dealership, the same dealership where I bought my first new Golf back in 1995.

The salesman was a guy called Vante, who has worked there 17 years and has the awards to prove it. Overall it was a low key, low pressure buying experience. I got the $159 deal, which limits driving to 7500 miles per year, but then through basically using the word 'no' quite a lot, I got 10,000 miles per year and we reached a deal on my beautiful but ultimately gas guzzling Audi S4 gas guzzler (11 mpg around town).

I shall miss the Audi and I know if I was prepared to put in the effort of selling it in the classifieds I could have got another couple of grand for it. But they raised their offer on it and in the end all worked out beautifully.

The final lease payment is a shade over $130 per month for 36 months. That's very little for that car, I feel.

I'm picking up the car tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it!

Cheers to all you like-minded people out there

Hi EggGolf,

Thanks for sharing.

What was your total drive off $$$ ?

As well, is the decrease from $159/month to $130, the result of your trade in..or just a great negotiation ?

Thanks

Vincent

h i Vincent

I didn't need to change my car and I didn't need a new one. That's a great position to be in when you go buy a car. And I really didn't want to give up my beautiful 2004 AUdi S4. With the V8 and the 11 mpg around town (Yes EPA, 11 mpg, not 13 mpg! What I would have given for 13 mpg around town. 13 mpg was the dream!)

Saying 'no' repeatedly also pays dividends, not just at car dealerships.

My main concern after my negotiations with my local dealership (with whom who I was not impressed ) last Saturday was that they were very cagey about giving me numbers. What I did come away with was the certainty that at the next dealership my first question would be 'what is the drive off?'

So that was the first question I asked Vante Williams at Santa Monica VW (with its entertaining but now defunct Fisker display stand in on one side of the showroom).

He got out his calculator and the number he came up with was around $4300. (Obviously I'm envious of the Bay Area people who were getting drive offs under $4k, but c'est la vie). I decided that

I would trade my Audi, even though they low balled me.

I folded my arms, poked out my bottom lip and said 'no' until he came up with a 25 per cent better figure. Of course he gave me the usual nonsense about the Edmunds and KBB numbers being 'just a guide'. I've learned to expect this from dealers.

Now I don't doubt that Vante has seen it all and dealt with every type pf personality in his 17 years of selling cars and I don't doubt that he did alright out of the deal. But importantly I felt that I did well too. I came away feeling positive about the experience.

My caveat to that is that I did get talked into the lease wear and tear insurance thing for $40 a month. Everyone says don't buy those things. I can cancel any time of course. But I'm a nervous new car lessee. I have driven it ludicrously carefully since I picked it up. No handbrake turns, no high jinks, no Audi S4 style hooning.

That said, I don't want to be one of those guys who slows down everyone else, so I will have to find a happy medium between constantly watching the range and brake regen and not being a moving chicane.

cheers

i visited boardwalk vw in redwood city today, and here are the numbers i was quoted at the end of my test drive. i did not do any negotiating as i'm not at that stage (yet?).

e-Golf LE
7.5k miles/year
$5950 drive-off
$129/month + tax = $141/month

i didn't see an actual lease contract so i don't know what the cap cost and residual value are on these terms. i was also told that there are three mandatory services that would need to be performed on the car — every 10k miles (although on a 7.5k miles/year lease, would i even get to 30k miles in three years?). the first would be "free," but the next two would be ~$500, unless i pay for the maintenance up front at ~$200 per service. is this a standard thing or specific to boardwalk?

thanks in advance.

Back